Meal Planning and Revolving Shifts

Options
Hi,

I have been a member of MFP for a while and am still facing a similar issue. I work part time for a homeless shelter and my shifts are never consistent (days of the week, times, co-workers) and so I have been facing a challenge with trying to meal plan. This week has been okay so far because I booked five shifts in advance and know the hours. Next week I have no assigned shifts, which you would think would make it easier to plan, but I sometimes get called in as early as 5:45 am or really late in the evening for overnight shifts and every once in a while midday for the afternoons.

What I have tried to do recently was at least try and plan for three meals and to have extra produce for making lunches, salads and snacks. I had originally wanted to prep everything after buying it but so far it hasnt worked out that way but I have been eating clean for the most part since starting to do this and I find I am having an easier time being consistent but I wonder what other people who may deal with the same issue do. What are your go-tos that keep you on the right track..

Replies

• Editme12
    Editme12 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    When I have a weird schedule, those frozen smuckers PB&Js help me out. I eat that and drink a thing of water and I'm good for a long time. I think it's the peanut butter
  • perriwinklejones
    perriwinklejones Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    It might be helpful to just prep types of things that you can eat if you get called in, or not if your at home.

You could make over night oats, smoothie packs, portion some greek yogurt and granola and fruit for breakfasts for example.

Could cook up some chicken breast, have turkey lunch meat, cook up some taco meat, some beans, cut veggies, prep a bin of lettuce, boil some eggs. Then you could easily throw together a big salad with protein in it and be out the door, grab protein and veggies with some dip or hummus.

You could make some soup or chili and portion that, spag squash and meatballs does nicely as well.

I think it'll just come down to having some prepped options for all of the normal meals you have, regardless of your shift time you would have options!
  • sarasmiles124
    sarasmiles124 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    My original intention was to get a whole bunch of produce and pre-chop so that if I do get called into work, I could cook it while there (I have access to a stove) or try and also pre-cook a few vegetarian options that I could just throw in with some quinoa. I am trying to up my fruit and vegetable intake and cut out carbs like pasta and rice. I am keeping oats and sweet potato as the primary carbs (reducing my bread intake) as well as quinoa and couscous in smaller portions.

I am getting better with portions and with the cravings but it is still a bit of a struggle. Thank you both for your responses!