Can yoga substitute for strength training?

Options
2»

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Titanuim wrote: »
    In fact the more I think about it the more i hate the lifting heavy *kitten* that is peddled here. Every single super heavy lifting hero that has popped up over the years and have been worshiped have also disappeared due to back injury and never been seen again.

Well - actually they do pop up again a few years later being sad about their body being broken.

Mobility should be worshiped not this silly heavy lifting crap. Yoga is better.

Disclaimer - long term lurker

Now now... I love lifting, I also love yoga. I see benefits to many different exercises, I think being close minded is the issue. You can love yoga without putting those down who love to lift heavy... no need to call it "crap" and say one is better than the other
  • dlm7507
    dlm7507 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    A big part of this is "Who are you? Where are you starting from? What is your objective?". I'm 67 years old and quit caring about how much I could bench, etc. quite a while back. I want to be able to continue doing what I have always done after I retire. That requires functional strength and mobility.

Check out "Get Strong", by Al and Danny Kavadlo for a good progressive bodyweight program. Or regressive if you are to weak for bodyweight exercise but don't want to use machines and/or light weights in a gym. I previously pointed to a yoga for strength guy.

Kettlebells, bodyweight and sandbags serve my purpose but your goals and needs may be different. Shouldering a 100 lb sandbag and walking up and down the street suits me, but maybe not you. Don't forget the "something you'll stick with" part.
  • JillianRumrill
    JillianRumrill Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I'm just curious. If I do yoga instead of free weights can I accomplish the same type of muscle preservation while I'm losing weight?

I do DDP Yoga and I don't know if it can even be classified as yoga, but they do incorporate yoga moves...along with isometrics, body weight exercises and calisthenics. You're not gonna end up looking like Lou Ferrigno, but you will get toned.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Speaking in terms of muscle preservation - yes, you probably can if your yoga routine/poses are designed with this goal in mind. Although, at some point it'll become more of a bodyweight training routine rather than a yoga session. Semantics, to some extent, but still worth mentioning.

Ultimately, you have to sufficiently stress your muscles. There are a zillion ways to do that, and as long as you're doing it, the how doesn't really matter all that much.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I think jjpptt is about the only person here who has gotten your answer right.
    Yes, if you want to keep the muscle you have while you lose weight, yoga will help.
    No, you will not become Arnold Schwarzenegger. Ever see a yogi who looks beefy like a body builder?
    But, preserving the muscles you have? I'm gonna say sure.
    I'd choose the more vigorous forms of yoga. Power yoga. Ashtanga yoga. Vigorous vinyasa. Some kundalini. Jivamukti. Maybe avoid hatha, iyengar, yin classes.
    Wouldn't be a bad idea to combine the yoga with some plyometric and isometric bodyweight exercises as well.
    I think.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I'm just curious. If I do yoga instead of free weights can I accomplish the same type of muscle preservation while I'm losing weight?

I would say yes in terms of muscle preservation depending on the type of yoga. I do yin yoga which isn't much of a workout as I don't really have to exert much effort, but it's a great way to relax and de-stress...I find it better than taking a nap. It's a good stretch and a good meditation session for me, but would hardly qualify as a strength workout...but there are more vigorous forms of yoga to choose from.

I have a friend who primarily does yoga and it's a very aggressive form of yoga with advanced poses that require quite a bit of strength. He has developed a good physique doing what he does...but also keep in mind that his physique is one of an advanced yoga student...which is different than a physique built in the weight room...and even in the weight room, physiques will be variable depending on how one lifts.
  • NoLimitAsLimit
    NoLimitAsLimit Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    A big no. Your muscle needs to be stimulated in order for it to at least be preserved along with sufficient protein consumption. While yoga is benefifical it doesn't stimulate muscle. Can't you just buy some cheap dumbbells?
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Titanuim wrote: »
    Mobility should be worshiped not this silly heavy lifting crap. Yoga is better.

Both have their advantages & limitations. Yoga tends to underwork the back muscles, which require pulling something to work optimally. It also doesn't train your lifting ability, which are the coordination skills involved with lifting heavier objects (a basic human skill). While lifting enormous weight isn't necessary for functional strength, lifting some weight is.

OP - yoga can work if it's challenging, but i'd add some back exercises, such as bodyweight rows.
    If functional strength is a concern, consider investing in a pair of adjustable dumbbells. :+1: