thighs getting massive from biking and walking?!

Options
I'm a "skinny fat" girl. I'm technically underweight but BMR calculation are weird! I don't really look thin and I think I have the minimum muscle mass. Anyway, in an attempt to fix this, I started biking this summer (burning 300-500cal 3-4 times a week). but I've replaced biking with walking 4-6 hours a day (3-4x week) for the past couple weeks.

instead of getting rid of my thigh gap and having stronger looking legs, I now have fat jiggly thighs. I know its not because I've gained weight (I look even thinner in other body parts) so I'm not sure whats going on. its very frustrating!

Replies

• Scubdup
    Scubdup Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I'm not expert, and everyone's different, but I don't agree with the phrase "technically underweight". Presumably you mean that, according to one method of measurement, you are deemed "underweight". That's only as good as the method you've used, and they vary massively in terms of what value they have.

It sounds like exercise has done what it does, and added muscle, which is fantastic - well done!

My understanding is that another thing exercise can do, is to burn some calories. If this helps create a situation where you burn more calories than you consume, you should also lose some weight.

You've not mentioned what seems to me the most important side of the equation - your calorie intake. That makes me think your answer quite probably lies there.

Good luck - and well done again on on such a massive exercise regime - that's very impressive!
  • FaryRochester
    FaryRochester Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I've just moved across the country which is why I stopped biking (haven't bought a new bike yet) and walking. I'm exploring the new city on foot and doing a lot of shopping for my new apartment which is why I'm walking so much.

• Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    you didn't answer your height and weight? or how much you are eating per day?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    What are your stats? Could it be your perception of yourself or maybe you are carrying more water weight. It is doubtful you are putting on muscle just by walking (ahh if only it were that easy!).

If you are underweight and want to improve your body composition, I would recommend you actually gain weight.. start strength training and eat in a small surplus.
  • tess5036
    tess5036 Posts: 942 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Just a thought, with the extreme amount of exercise you have been doing, you may have burned fat on your legs, so what you describe as jiggly thighs might be looser skin as the fat which was there has gone, and skin, which may well shrink back as well does so at a slower rate. I am fat fat, and have been doing a lot if walking (completted a walking marathon) so am talking from first hand experience on how legs can change. Muscle tends not to jiggle.

Please go check with a professional, as whether it is fat burner or muscle grown, if you started out underweight it is possible, as others have said, that this is a self image issue; an objective professional will be able to help you understand what is going on.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    4-6 hours of walking! its excessive and unnecessary imo (been there, well I did 2 hrs a day and burned out eventually). When do you you get time to work etc?

1 hour of exercise is more than enough cardio. If you're worried about jiggly bits they will reduce better with strength training.

You haven't answered the replies on your stats...

ps I bike and walk but my thighs are slim and muscle toned - but I am ideal weight for my height. Plus genetics have a lot to do with it too.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    4-6 hours of walking! its excessive and unnecessary imo (been there, well I did 2 hrs a day and burned out eventually). When do you you get time to work etc?

1 hour of exercise is more than enough cardio. If you're worried about jiggly bits they will reduce better with strength training.

You haven't answered the replies on your stats...

ps I bike and walk but my thighs are slim and muscle toned - but I am ideal weight for my height. Plus genetics have a lot to do with it too.

The last time I walked 4-6 hours a day, it was my primary means of transportation.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Are you tracking your daily calorie intake? If so, what is it?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Your entire post history consists of posts about jumping up in weight several pounds after binges. That, plus this post, lead me to believe that your problem is not something that anybody here can help you with. I encourage you to seek professional help for your pattern of disordered eating.

Holy smokes. Yea OP it's time to seek some help
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Are you tracking your daily calorie intake? If so, what is it?

about 500 cals of vodka....
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Are you measuring your thighs? Excessive cardio will not cause muscle growth.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I have thick legs from biking and hiking in a hilly place. But I ride thousands of miles per year and average a little more than 50' of vert per mile on the bike, about 200' per mile hiking.
  • missjazminenicole
    missjazminenicole Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Weight training is the only thing that has helped me tone my thighs. Went from big jiggles to muscles and a little jiggle in the middle. As I lost weight, my thighs never got any more toned, just smaller but still jiggly. Weights and resistance (think squats, stair master, dead lifts) made the difference.