How do you carry water during your runs?

Options
I tend to get really thirsty during runs and can down around a liter of water.

Usually I would wear a small bag pack to carry around that water or else just a large bottle in hand (There are no public water fountains to drink from)

Is there any other way to carry around the water which is not to obvious?

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I don't take water unless I'm running for an hour or more.

I have a belt that has a bottle holder on it and a pouch for energy gels.
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    1L of water during a run (even a HM), would probably make me chunder :s If you drink that much, a hydration pack like a camelback might be an option, or one of those hydration vests that has all the smaller water bottles clipped to it.

I have a flip belt, which has 350ml water bottle that fits in it as well as energy gels, keys and my phone (plus my debit card if I feel I need it). I could probably fit a second bottle as well if I felt it was needed. As @RuNaRoUnDaFiEld said, I generally don't take water with me unless the run is 1 hour+, because under that time hydration shouldn't be an issue unless it's really hot.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Camelbak or any other water backpack.

I have two that I cycle through on the >10k runs, especially for trail running. Also handy to keep first aid elements and other items.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i have a belt that has attached bottles for long runs (over 10 miles) or when its particularly hot (rare as i'm in the uk!)

i would need to wee if i drank a liter of water while running though... or be sick from it sloshing around in my belly!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I only carry water for longer runs. I have a water bottle that fits into my Flipbelt so I don't have to hold it. I am lucky to have access to some routes with water fountains, so that helps.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,020 Member
    Options
    I have a flip belt with a bottle. I carry it if I am going to be running for longer than an hour, or if it is 90F or hotter. Sometimes I carry it if it is 85F and it is humid. Sometimes I just pour water on the back of my neck, but I like to have it when it is hot even if I am only running 5k.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I don't take water unless I'm practicing using a belt I might in a race.

If I do more than an hour, I'll usually make my route go past a water fountain at some point.
  • mabearof6
    mabearof6 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I have a flipbelt that and a bottle made just for it. I only take for long runs though, and most of the time I don't use it......if you don't mind holding onto a bottle, there are a few that have a grip that slips onto your hand, so you don't truly have to grip it tightly. If you don't want to carry anything and you don't wear a belt, I would suggest a camelbak.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    Boy did I misread that the first time through...
  • EatingAndKnitting
    EatingAndKnitting Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I don't know how good this is for runs, I only walk and this might be bouncy in running, but I have a 32 ounce water bottle with a handle in the lid, and a strap with lobster clasps on it from a cheap crossbody purse. I thread the strap through the handle and wear the bottle crossbody with the straw on the bottle facing away from my body.

The strap is long enough to allow me to lift the bottle up without removing it from anything and wearing it crossbody provides stability and keeps it out of the way.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I have yet to be in a HM that didn't have water stations. I am an urban runner so if I think I will need water on a 10 mile run I just plan my route to pass a public fountain.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    My wife has a flipBelt, but she only carries water on longer runs or if it's really hot.

Are you otherwise staying hydrated throughout the day?
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    khan2187 wrote: »

Usually I would wear a small bag pack to carry around that water or else just a large bottle in hand (There are no public water fountains to drink from)

How far are you running? If you really do get thirsty on shorter runs you're probably not getting enough water over the normal course of a day. As you see above, most runners would tell you that barring extreme heat, they don't worry about water mid-run unless they're going out for an extended period of time (1 hour plus, some people even longer).

If you run repeated laps of a route or do an out and back, leave your water bottle somewhere along the way. You can grab a drink when you pass it. This will also have the benefit of teaching you to run with a little bit of perceived discomfort such that you can tell if you're really thirsty or if you're only drinking the water because it's readily available.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    If the run is long enough to warrant water, it's time to get out the bike.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    If the run is long enough to warrant water, it's time to get out the bike.

or the car.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    My runs are cooler here in the Great White North. I drink before and after, carrying the bare minimum. I imagine you might be sweating heavily however. Someone else mentioned a camelback. This would have two advantages. It won’t bounce around and it’s hands free.

http://www.online-skating.com/articles-2587-long-distance-water-bladder-or-can-bike.html
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    My runs are cooler here in the Great White North. I drink before and after, carrying the bare minimum. I imagine you might be sweating heavily however. Someone else mentioned a camelback. This would have two advantages. It won’t bounce around and it’s hands free.

http://www.online-skating.com/articles-2587-long-distance-water-bladder-or-can-bike.html

Well, I'm up here as well and in the summer won't go for a walk without water, as we can be 35-40C in July and Aug. I have a flipbelt with a small and large bottle, but one broken top so I can only take one at a time. But I found I prefer one with a waist belt so I used that for 10K. 5K I'll stick with the flipbelt. These days 5K I don't bother. Pretty much done 10K for the year as well.

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    crazyravr wrote: »

I always laugh as I pass people running with a number of water bottles and gells in their pockets on a 5km runs barely moving. Unless you are doing a marathon like runs, none of that is required.

How do you know how far they are running?

Because they are part of my running club and we have organized runs couple times a week where different group run different distance at a different pace.

you would think someone in a running club would talk to them about fueling their runs...
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

To an extent of depends on the distance I'm running. Now that I've adapted I'm comfortable not carrying anything for up to 10 miles. If I'm going longer I've got a race vest with two 500ml bottles or the option to take a 2l bladder. For up to 20 miles the bottles are fine, and in a race I'll to them up at aid stations. I prefer Tailwind so need to carry my own fluids, but in other circumstances probably wouldn't need to.

For lapped races I've got a Camelbak handheld that takes a 650ml. I can keep a second bottle in my dropbag or refill the water, carrying spare Tailwind in the pouch.

I'd support the discussion upthread about questioning whether you need to our not. When I started running I did drink a lot but found I adapted fairly quickly to not needing to drink for less than 10K.