Fitness trackers

Options
kinkyslinky16
kinkyslinky16 Posts: 1,470 Member
edited October 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Ok so I lost all of my weight using the Bodymedia Fit (BMF).. Best device in the entire world. Of course, it was bought out by Jawbone, and they destroyed the BMF. I've used Fitbit, Jawbone, and Microsoft Band and nothing comes even close to the accuracy of the BMF.

Do any of you have recommendations for a fitness tracker that uses the same type of sensors as the BMF? I'm super discouraged at this point.

Oh yeah, these are the sensors BMF had:
-- Skin temperature sensor
-- Heat flux sensor
-- Perspiration sensor (galvanic response sensor)
-- 3-axis accelerometer

Replies

• kinkyslinky16
    Options
    Ugh. I just found one that costs over $1,600. No, thanks.

https://www.empatica.com/e4-wristband
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    if you lost your weight what does it matter the tracker now?

and others lose/gain/maintain weight without trackers all the time...they are not a requirement.

it's a trial and error thing.

I have a tracker...and don't expect it to be "totally accurate" but I did take a look at the body media one and ick...no way.

not sure how you managed to wear that thing all the time...
  • kinkyslinky16
    Options
    I understand fitness trackers are not a requirement for weight loss or maintenance, but clearly I prefer to have one or I wouldn't have posted asking for recommendations.

As far as wearing the BMF, it wasn't noticeable at all to me. I forgot I had it on most of the time. And once you see how awesome Bodymedia Fit is with regards to data, it is exceptionally difficult to appreciate any other tracker. I was hoping someone around here, probably a fellow BMF lover, would have found something somewhat comparable at this point.

Ugh! Why did you make such a douchey move, Jawbone? They should have improved upon the BMF. No wonder Jawbone is struggling.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    I understand fitness trackers are not a requirement for weight loss or maintenance, but clearly I prefer to have one or I wouldn't have posted asking for recommendations.

As far as wearing the BMF, it wasn't noticeable at all to me. I forgot I had it on most of the time. And once you see how awesome Bodymedia Fit is with regards to data, it is exceptionally difficult to appreciate any other tracker. I was hoping someone around here, probably a fellow BMF lover, would have found something somewhat comparable at this point.

Ugh! Why did you make such a douchey move, Jawbone? They should have improved upon the BMF. No wonder Jawbone is struggling.

Jawbone is done actually...moving into medical wearables only.

<<<former jawbone owner.

As for the BMF have you tried looking on ebay or something. I have a fitbit charge2 and I know it's not totally accurate and understand their draw and appeal...but given the lack of accuracy in most of them my post was more about picking the least objectionable but knowing it is not going to be what you are used to.

Trial and error with them seems to be required.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Great a bike with a direct force power meter. Maximum error for calories of 5%, if you just take the kJ it reports and treat them as calories you'll be right in the middle of that range so up to 2.5% in either direction.
  • kinkyslinky16
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

<<<former jawbone owner.

As for the BMF have you tried looking on ebay or something. I have a fitbit charge2 and I know it's not totally accurate and understand their draw and appeal...but given the lack of accuracy in most of them my post was more about picking the least objectionable but knowing it is not going to be what you are used to.

You can still purchase BMFs but there's no way to access your data, unfortunately. So they're completely useless :'(

I haven't tried the Fitbit charge2 yet. I was looking into it but the Flex sucks so bad and the Surge is a joke (I'd say more inaccurate than the Flex and the band broke every 6-8 months or so) so I am hesitant in trying yet another Fitbit product.

I had high hopes for the Microsoft Band 2 but it is super clunky and uncomfortable to wear. It probably is the closest to the BMF though.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

<<<former jawbone owner.

You can still purchase BMFs but there's no way to access your data, unfortunately. So they're completely useless :'(

I haven't tried the Fitbit charge2 yet. I was looking into it but the Flex sucks so bad and the Surge is a joke (I'd say more inaccurate than the Flex and the band broke every 6-8 months or so) so I am hesitant in trying yet another Fitbit product.

I had high hopes for the Microsoft Band 2 but it is super clunky and uncomfortable to wear. It probably is the closest to the BMF though.

Fitbit has a new Iionic (I think it's called that) that reminds me of an apple watch...haven't checked it much.

The charge 2 seems okay...not great...honestly speaking.
  • kinkyslinky16
    Options

<<<former jawbone owner.

Fitbit has a new Iionic (I think it's called that) that reminds me of an apple watch...haven't checked it much.

The charge 2 seems okay...not great...honestly speaking.

Oh, I haven't seen this new Fitbit. I'll have to take a look. Thank you!!!
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Ok so I lost all of my weight using the Bodymedia Fit (BMF).. Best device in the entire world. Of course, it was bought out by Jawbone, and they destroyed the BMF. I've used Fitbit, Jawbone, and Microsoft Band and nothing comes even close to the accuracy of the BMF.

Do any of you have recommendations for a fitness tracker that uses the same type of sensors as the BMF? I'm super discouraged at this point.

-- Heat flux sensor
    -- 3-axis accelerometer

I have a Garmin Fenix 3 HR and love it. It has a continuous HRM and calculates calories burned 24 hours per day and calculates performance metrics, counts steps and stairs ascended, has GPS, tracks sleep, has an altimeter, barometer, and temp sensor, is waterproof to 100m so you can track swims, integrates with your phone through Bluetooth, and a lot of other functions. It has a long battery life and the associated phone app is easy to use. It also has customizable watch faces and you can change watch bands so it can coordinate with pretty much anything you wear (at work, social events, etc.)

Out of curiosity, what did you do with the perspiration sensor information?
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Iionic is about $300.00 so it is pricy. I have a blaze and like it. I don't really need GPS because I use my phone apps to track my runs so I use it only for Sleep, activity and heart rate monitoring.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »
    Iionic is about $300.00 so it is pricy. I have a blaze and like it. I don't really need GPS because I use my phone apps to track my runs so I use it only for Sleep, activity and heart rate monitoring.

but the Charge2 does all that for less cost than the blaze...the only thing the blaze has is on screen workouts...smh....which to me seems stupid.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Most consumer units will have the same heart rate monitoring sensors/functions. Some of the newer consumer models use a three-light system which is supposed to be more accurate than a two-light system (it looks like the BMF product uses a two light).

Likewise 3-way accelerometers. This is fairly standard and some consumer models will couple this with GPS capabilities for movement/mapping/step functions.

I don't believe I've seen any other consumer units that track skin or body temperature. Same with skin moisture. These features will pop up on a device occasionally but they're not generally part of the market 'standard'. My Garmin doesn't include them and I can't think of a case where the data would be really helpful given how I use my watch.

In terms of accuracy, I don't think I can call any consumer unit truly accurate (though I don't know if they're less accurate than the product you've been using). That said, they tend to be accurate enough to get the job done given user needs.
  • kinkyslinky16
    Options
    Bry_Lander wrote: »

-- Heat flux sensor
    -- 3-axis accelerometer

I have a Garmin Fenix 3 HR and love it. It has a continuous HRM and calculates calories burned 24 hours per day and calculates performance metrics, counts steps and stairs ascended, has GPS, tracks sleep, has an altimeter, barometer, and temp sensor, is waterproof to 100m so you can track swims, integrates with your phone through Bluetooth, and a lot of other functions. It has a long battery life and the associated phone app is easy to use. It also has customizable watch faces and you can change watch bands so it can coordinate with pretty much anything you wear (at work, social events, etc.)

Out of curiosity, what did you do with the perspiration sensor information?

I think BMF incorporated it into calorie burns? It was pretty accurate for a fitness tracker. I am really hoping some other company makes a replica because even if the tracker looked dumb af on your arm, I didn't mind one bit.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    For what kinds of exercise do you want this?
  • kinkyslinky16
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    Most consumer units will have the same heart rate monitoring sensors/functions. Some of the newer consumer models use a three-light system which is supposed to be more accurate than a two-light system (it looks like the BMF product uses a two light).

Likewise 3-way accelerometers. This is fairly standard and some consumer models will couple this with GPS capabilities for movement/mapping/step functions.

I don't believe I've seen any other consumer units that track skin or body temperature. Same with skin moisture. These features will pop up on a device occasionally but they're not generally part of the market 'standard'. My Garmin doesn't include them and I can't think of a case where the data would be really helpful given how I use my watch.

In terms of accuracy, I don't think I can call any consumer unit truly accurate (though I don't know if they're less accurate than the product you've been using). That said, they tend to be accurate enough to get the job done given user needs.

Agreed. BMF was probably the most accurate you can get in an over the counter fitness tracker. I've found that traditional fitness trackers won't catch even a step of me using my treadmill desk because I'm not swinging my arms but the BMF would have picked it up. I also have an elliptical machine at home that I use and can't get a traditional fitness tracker to pick up most of the work out... BMF, though, was accurate down to the minute of when I started on the elliptical. Even lifting weights, I could see burns on my BMF. Fitbit? Never!

I guess what I'm looking for is a tracker that can monitor more stationary events. Something that doesn't require arm movement alone to register any burns. What cardio I do just isn't being registered.
  • InkAndApples
    InkAndApples Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    My Fitbit charge 2 recognizes elliptical workouts quite happily. I also get increased burns when I'm lifting that tie in with my (very rough) calculations for how much extra I should be burning. It just needs to be switched to the correct mode for the duration.

(I know a lot of people have issues with Fitbits but mine is accurate for me)
  • mabearof6
    mabearof6 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I absolutely LOVED my BMF! I was so sad when they were no longer supported. I had tried a fitbit charge hr and went through several. They kept having to be replaced. I then tried a Samsung Gear 2, which wasn't too bad, except it's battery life was awful! I now have a Garmin Vivoactive HR. It does what I need it too.....
  • fighting2bfit89
    fighting2bfit89 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry if this as already been addressed but I've had a Fitbit HR2 (charge) but didn't like it at all. Got an Apple Watch series 2 a few months ago & LOVE IT. I know that doesn't do you much good if you don't like apple products. Good luck in finding something that works for you & congrats on the weight loss.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

<<<former jawbone owner.

Microsoft Band has been discontinued also.

There's nothing else on the market quite like the BMF (at least in the realm of everyday wearable activity trackers). I had an Apple Watch, switched to a Garmin 935 just over a month ago and like it a lot better. I'm a big Apple fan and own a lot of their products, but the Garmin is light years better in terms of the data it gives you. The Apple Watch is the best smartwatch on the market hands down, but it's far from the best activity/workout tracker.

If you'd like to do some research of your own, you can find the most thorough, comprehensive reviews of activity trackers at DCRainmaker's website. He tests them very thoroughly and offers a lot of information to help you decide which one is best for your needs (no affiliation here, I just like the site and found it tremendously useful when I was trying to decide what my next one was going to be).
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I have just got the Vivoactive 3, the newest watch in this family from Garmin and so far I love it. I've been a Garmin user from the first tracker I ever used so I of course have bias but I think they are worlds apart in terms of quality compared to Fitbits. I see so many complaints of having to use the Fitbit warranty for sometimes up to several replacements and I just have to nope out of that.

My last watch, the first Vivoactive, still works to this day, I had it over 18 months. I'm not sure about the new Fitbit but I think Garmins are waterproof across the board.

As to accuracy, I won't know on this one for a few weeks, it seems to think my TDEE is way higher than I realised (which would explain a few things) but it will take time and data to test that.

But I cannot speak highly enough of Garmin and now that they are making a real effort on the aesthetics I'm even happier. Being able to switch out the straps with standard watch straps is a nice new change to the design.