Exercise in the Morning or Evening? Preferences? Suggestions?

Options
2»

Replies

• teresasage64118
    teresasage64118 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    wxlaw wrote: »
    I personally prefer exercising at night because I get exhausted for the whole day if I exercise in the morning.

I feel the exact same way. I did manage to force myself up at 330am this morning to go work out, and now I already feel tired and my day has just started. I also felt like I was so tired when I got there that I didn't work as hard as I normally do. I think I'm going to stick to my normal evening routine. Seems to be working for me
  • teresasage64118
    teresasage64118 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Whenever you want.

However a 1300 calorie day with a 800 calorie workout is leaving you with a net calorie total of 500 calories, if you aren't eating your calories back you stand the potential of doing yourself no favors, you will lose weight but you will be sick once you're skinny.

And that was another issue I was running into with working out at night. I go home cook dinner for my kids and I then I head to the gym. I generally on a normal workout will burn anywhere between 500-800 calories, so I need to make sure I adjust how much I'm eating where I'm still getting the 1300 calories. I don't a ton at work because well it's work and I'm busy so a majority of my calories seems to come at dinner time, so then I go to the gym and am burning it right back off. I have to find a way to adjust what I'm doing.
  • ipmac22
    ipmac22 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I agree with what others are saying. Go when is best for you. Some will argue benefits to either time. But really, whatever works for you is best. Sometimes going in the morning is good for me, because I'm more mindful of what I do all day having started the day well, but at the same time, a little more sleep is often more important to me if I have the time to go that night.

As long as exercising at night doesn't create any sleep issues for you, stick with what works!
  • CoUrTnEyAnN928
    CoUrTnEyAnN928 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    wxlaw wrote: »
    I personally prefer exercising at night because I get exhausted for the whole day if I exercise in the morning.

This!! Every. Time. I am totally a night or afternoon workout person! But this is up to you and what works for your body and schedule
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Exercise at a time when you can keep doing it consistently...for me that's first thing but its only because the rest of my day is busy and if I didn't do it then, I probably wouldn't. What I love about morning workouts its that I am invigorated/energised for the day ahead.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    I like morning...weather is generally nicer, roads are less crowded, and there's a much lower chance that life will interrupt my schedule.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I used to always train in the mornings. I was able to get it in 1) before anything got in the way the rest of the day; 2) before I got tired from work; and 3) when the gym was less crowded, so it was easier to get on the equipment.

It also allowed me to shower before going to work. However, I've since changed gyms to one nearer work, but without a shower. So I train after work - except on the weekends.
  • amyteacake
    amyteacake Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    It all depends on your own preference. I usually wake up at around 9 am and then head to the gym between 10 am-11 am, but sometimes I workout after college which is around 4 pm or so when it's a full day of college, half days it's around 12 pm. Basically, for me, it's when my schedule lets me workout.
  • Fitnessmom82
    Fitnessmom82 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I think whatever works for you is what is best!!
    I personally like going first thing in the morning. I don't like eating before working out. I drop the kids at school and hit the gym before work. I'm always exhausted at the end of the day and would constantly talk myself out of going to the gym. My husband on the other hand, hates waking up earlier than he needs to and has more energy at night, so he works out late in the evening. Both of us found what works and are losing weight!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,737 Member
    Options
    I've had long periods where I worked out mostly in the evening, and others where I've mostly worked out in the morning. For short periods, I've even worked out in the middle of the day. Other than personal preference and convenience, i saw no difference in results.

Footnote:
    Several times, for a few days to a week, I've worked out for several hours every day, spread across the part of the day where I wasn't either eating or sleeping (at rowing camp for grown-ups). That definitely has the potential to improve weight loss, but (1) that schedule's not very compatible on the reg with working for a living; (2) you really, really gotta fuel that s***, or you'll die; (3) it makes me ravenous (see point #2); (4) rowing camp always has very good food, usually including unlimited quantities of breakfast potatoes (I love breakfast potatoes). Result: I usually maintain weight at camp, despite workout calories in the low thousands. ;)
  • keithgtalbot
    keithgtalbot Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I like to jog, bike and walk, and morning light and sunset light are great. Inspirational skies help keep me out longer! Mornings have the advantage of fresh energy though!
  • Miss_Meep
    Miss_Meep Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others before me who said that whatever time is easiest for you to consistently work out is the best time.

Personally, I prefer the early morning as I'm less likely to have things come up in my schedule that are going to derail me at that time. I can wake up, get my workout done and out of the way, and move on with the rest of my day.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    "My biggest question is, does working out in the morning help to burn more fat etc versus working out in the evening."
    No

"hey I ate/drank a total of 1300 calories, so I go to the gym and I burn 800. What are your thoughts?"
    So just netting 500 calories a day.
    Please educate yourself on how this tool works - it does work if you do it properly.

• collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    It depends on what I've got going on in the other areas of my life. I work an 8:30 to 5 job, but also have to work special events. So in the ideal world, I'd hit up barre class Sunday, Monday, Wednesday, and run on the other days. But sometimes I don't want to deal with a treadmill, or I've got an event that means I can't get to a night barre class, or go for a long run on the weekends -- or I'm going out to a football game, or something else. So then I fit something else in, whether it's a 5:30 spin class, or doing yoga at home.

I'm all about a routine, but I'm not going to skip a work function (my boss would have a fit) or tell a friend that I'm not going to go out simply so I can go to my preferred workout at X time.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    I think it's worth pointing out that it doesn't have to be a morning/night choice (depending on your schedule, of course): there's solid evidence that several shorter workouts might be just as good or even better than a single longer workout. And of course, anything is better than nothing! I aim for about 15-20 minutes of medium intensity exercise in the AM where I get sweaty and can take a shower afterward, and then 2-6 sessions of brisk walking spread throughout the day, generally about ten minutes each.

Sources: https://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/07/05/ask-well-3-short-workouts-or-1-long-one/?_r=0, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3064872/
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    work out when you enjoy it most. .then you'll keep doing it....