Muscle maintenance without exercise?

Options
sardelsa
sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
edited October 2017 in Goal: Maintaining Weight
A question in the main forums got me thinking. Just out of curiosity...can you maintain muscle in maintenance without exercise/resistance training? I would imagine, over enough time...you lose muscle and gain fat, the opposite of a recomp?

For example.. if someone finds they are unable to workout for a few months but wants to maintain their physique and muscle mass (as much as possible).

Or perhaps if someone finds themselves too bulky/muscular (rare I know, but I am sure it happens)..and wants to stay around the same weight... it is possible to lose muscle and gain fat over time.

I wonder how long it takes for the body to start to lose muscle over time, if anyone has any articles or insight!

Thanks!

Replies

• tracymegan
    tracymegan Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    My understanding is losing muscle is not so easy to do...I have always been muscular...then got lazy and added some padding to that muscle. I am now trying to reduce some of that mass, and it is not easy. There are different kinds of muscles and different ways to make them work (so my trainer tells me). So, I have had to change how I work out to actually change that mass.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Often wondered this too. I have no idea the answer. I was always under the impression that you 'use it or lose it'. So I assume that I would need to moderately continue to lift weights to maintain. Kinda the way I think about running and losing running fitness. I am probably way off base..

Sticking around to see what others say.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Google "muscle atrophy". Perhaps even "NASA muscle atrophy". Astro- and Cosmo-nauts are the extreme example of losing muscle in zero gravity, but on Earth we lose muscle if we don't use it, especially if we don't eat enough protein. How fast do we lose 1%? A male eating all the protein he needs and lifts and exercises perfectly is going to lose 1% of his body muscle each year after he's 50. It's quicker than you think.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Google "muscle atrophy". Perhaps even "NASA muscle atrophy". Astro- and Cosmo-nauts are the extreme example of losing muscle in zero gravity, but on Earth we lose muscle if we don't use it, especially if we don't eat enough protein. How fast do we lose 1%? A male eating all the protein he needs and lifts and exercises perfectly is going to lose 1% of his body muscle each year after he's 50. It's quicker than you think.

I am approaching 50 (less than a year). I am kinda sad now to learn of this 'gradual decrease in the ability to maintain skeletal muscle function and mass' known as sarcopenia.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Be of good cheer @RoxieDawn, the anti-aging folks are making real progress at reversing each of the pathologies of senility. Subscribe to John Mauldin's free newsletter for his this week report on the latest conference of the Buck Institute.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    There is a lady on here who is documenting her atrophy due to not being able to lift (after an operation) and it might answer part of your question OP. She is doing cardio only...scroll through her videos to the pertinent ones...

https://www.youtube.com/user/robertasaum/videos

• RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    Very interesting topic and one I was just thinking about. I recently had a cervical disk replaced and 2 weeks ago got cleared for exercise other than walking and physical therapy. And then 10 days ago some idiot ran a red light and t-boned my car (I think the universe hates me), so I'm back to no exercise other than walking and can't even go back to PT for two weeks. I've been really concerned about losing any progress I made and it sounds like it happens pretty fast (not that I have a ton of muscle but I'd kind of like to keep what little I do have!).
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    All you have to do is look at older people who do not use their muscles to know that some will be lost if you don't use them. They don't go completely away but strength and some mass will be lost.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    RAinWA wrote: »
    Very interesting topic and one I was just thinking about. I recently had a cervical disk replaced and 2 weeks ago got cleared for exercise other than walking and physical therapy. And then 10 days ago some idiot ran a red light and t-boned my car (I think the universe hates me), so I'm back to no exercise other than walking and can't even go back to PT for two weeks. I've been really concerned about losing any progress I made and it sounds like it happens pretty fast (not that I have a ton of muscle but I'd kind of like to keep what little I do have!).

I don't have any advice for you, but dang. I'm sorry for your misfortune and hope things rapidly improve for you!
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    RAinWA wrote: »

I don't have any advice for you, but dang. I'm sorry for your misfortune and hope things rapidly improve for you!

Thank you! Nothing to do but keep pushing forward - I figure I'm due for some good luck soon. Might be a good time to play the lottery! :D
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    All you have to do is look at older people who do not use their muscles to know that some will be lost if you don't use them. They don't go completely away but strength and some mass will be lost.

Oh I know it will happen over time, just curious if it is weeks, months..if the person is maintaining.

When I was pregnant with my second my nausea was so bad in the first tri that I had to stop lifting for a few months. I probably lost some muscle but it wasn't too bad.. maybe since I wasn't in a catabolic state.. or was I.. pregnancy is a whole different discussion I'm sure.

Thanks all for your input!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Lyle McDonald discusses the topic of muscle retention/maintenance in many different articles on his site, but a lot of them have to do with preserving muscle/LBM in the face of a deficit. This one talks about maintenance in the transition phase between cutting and bulking (which is more or less maintenance): https://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/transition-phase-between-dieting-gaining.html/

He says (there and elsewhere) that you can reduce volume and frequency by about 2/3 while maintaining intensity (weight on the bar) and successfully maintain what you have.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert in this but I'll give my opinion/impression.

I'd assume that yes, if you exercise hard and build up a good amount of muscle and then you stop exercising that overtime you will indeed lose that muscle. I don't think it "turns to fat" unless you are in caloric excess anyways, I think it probably just degrades and the body doesn't bother to rebuild it. I get the sense that this takes a long time though.

I've also found, again through personal experience so take this as an anecdote, that it "seems" that if I work really hard to build up a certain amount of muscle and then I get lazy and 4 years later I've lost it all that if I start up again with a strict exercise routine that I rebuild that muscle much quicker and easier than the first time but only up to the point that I reached before and then it becomes very slow again. Almost as if my body "remembers" how much muscle I once had.

That could be "woo". Not sure what is actually going on scientificially speaking, just how it "seemed" from an uninformed perspective.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    @Aaron_K123

Would agree with your impression.
    Following my injury when I lost 5" of quad muscle (in a huge calorie surplus) I regained 3" very quickly purely from learning to walk again and then walking stairs (while in a calorie deficit).
    Meanwhile my traps did the obverse, growing significantly while on crutches (I got called "Coke bottle shoulders" when I returned to work!) and then returning to normal when I was off crutches.

I've also had a few periods of heavy training and then life gets in the way and I lose condition. I can always progress bench press very quickly back to previous levels (c. 100kg) along with muscle growth without too much difficulty and then my progress slows to a snail's pace.

@sardelsa
    My experience is that muscle use/stimulation is far and away more important than being in a calorie surplus/deficit/maintenance.
  • NoLimitAsLimit
    NoLimitAsLimit Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hmm unless injury there's no excuse to be completely inactive for months. I was out of the gym for 2 months, all i did was jump rope, pull ups/chins & a variation of press ups 3-4 times a week. I returned to the gym pretty much the same just less conditioned. Probably 2-3 lbs of muscle mass loss if that.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    I had foot surgery about 10 yrs ago. Right foot was in a cast and plastic boot for about 4 months before ai could walk on it again.

Right calf was 1"smaller in diameter than left calf after cast/boot were removed and remains the same now despite heavy lifting doing DLs and SQTs (but no isolated calf raises).

Loss of strength is lost even quicker. Took a month off from all lifting and could only lift about 75% of 1RM for DL and SQT after resuming lifts Working my way back up.

Haven't done any BPs or OHPs yet because of elbow tendonitis but expect the same problem when I resume those lifts as well.

:(
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Based solely on my experience, I was pretty muscular and just stopped lifting and exercising for 2-3 years. I retained most of my muscle for quite a while, it was only after a while my weight crept up with fat gain. Once I lost weight and started strength training again, I was pretty much back to very near my previous size pretty quickly.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Here is an interesting article on this as I was researching last night what happens when you stop going to the gym for a week.

https://www.sciencealert.com/what-happens-when-you-stop-exercising