So far to go?

Options
Krohnie
Krohnie Posts: 286 Member
How did you get past the initial hurdle of how far you have to go? I've done great for two whole days, but I'm having trouble thinking of how far I have to go!! Thoughts??

Replies

• Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    I know it seems like a long road, but you didn't think about what you were doing when you put on the weight now do that for dropping it :)
  • Ftw37
    Ftw37 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    The journey of a thousand miles, etc.
  • phocid
    phocid Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I don't even think about it. I take a week at a time. Sometimes a day at a time if it's a particularly challenging day. And I forgive myself alot.
  • MommaSari
    MommaSari Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I kept reminding myself that if I continue at the rate I was at, next year I would think "look how far I would be if I just continued!" I didn't want to look BACK anymore. I took it one day at a time. I also put away my scale for a month and focused on eating and exercise. THEN, my first weight loss was big (in my opinion)..that kept me motivated. I have since stopped due to being pregnant. :)
  • joycehostetler
    Options
    All you can do is one day at a time. Some will be good, some Ok, and some don right not so good. :) But, be true to your logging, exercising and you will achieve your goal.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Break it up into smaller more managable goals. You might feel like it's impossible to lose 100lbs but you definitely could lose 10lbs right. Also add in some non-scale related goals to mix things up. They could be food related such as cutting back on soft drink/sugary beverages or chocolate/cake/chips/fast food. They could also be fitness related such as run a certain distance without stopping, lift a certain amount of weight, do 10 pushups off your toes etc.
  • zumbachelle
    zumbachelle Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have so far lost 38kg and still have another 28 ish to go. I don';t think of it like that or it would seem ridiculously high. I set myself small achievable goals...eg, 5kg in the next 6 weeks, then i give myself a reward when I achieve it...usually I get my nails done as that is a luxury i don't need. For my big goals at 20kg I got a new hair colour and style, and at 35kg a drastic new hair colour and style...it is nice to feel you are getting somehwere so that it is like steps. Every day you look after yourself is a pretty good reward.
    If I don't reach my goal in the time I have given myself I don't get upset, I just keep going until i get there!
    You can do it!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Well, the honest truth is that it's NEVER really over. Losing is one phase. Maintaining is another. You're in this for the long haul. And time is going to pass whether you're losing weight and getting healthier or not, so you might as well make the most of it.

That said, break it up into smaller goals, and make some of those goals not related to the scale at all. IE, being able to run a 5k or bench press a certain amount, or fit back into a dress or pair of jeans that's a little too snug.
  • ncmedic201
    ncmedic201 Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I do 5 lb goals. I'm .6 away from my next goal :) I also do small exercise goals instead of long term goals. I do have a long term challenge to help me stay motivated. I'm planning to hike 28 miles in November for charity.
  • chubaway
    chubaway Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    Instead of making your goal about what the scale says, make it about eating healthy, like: I'm going to eat healthy, and not exceed my daily calories for one month . . . just one month to start. Once you do that, you set another one month goal.
  • tootchute
    tootchute Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I'm in your boat. I've always have been a bigger girl and in high school I lost a lot of weight. That's when I eventually got with my now husband and we had our child when I turned 18. I had wished I control myself back then, but I didn't and it (Belly) has been growing for almost 15 years. This year I had decide to finally do it, it's almost 4 months and I lost 49 pounds. I should be hitting my first goal of under three hundred this month and I still got 190 to loose, I figure if I don't let up and keep pushing by the end of 2014 I will be close to my ideal weight. This is a life changer tat I will keep pushing to pass any hurdles, we can all do it.

On a side not that's a lot of hard boil eggs you eat
  • Dechant63
    Dechant63 Posts: 59
    Options
    I saw this quote on this site from somebody. Not sure who. But I saved it and look at it when I'm feeling that way.

"The way I see it, it took a LOT of bacon cheeseburgers and 700 calorie ice cream sundaes to get me here- I can't put a week into reversing that and expect a miracle. I WANT this."
  • l_clc
    l_clc Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I saw this quote on this site from somebody. Not sure who. But I saved it and look at it when I'm feeling that way.

"The way I see it, it took a LOT of bacon cheeseburgers and 700 calorie ice cream sundaes to get me here- I can't put a week into reversing that and expect a miracle. I WANT this."

Had to quote it because, I love it!
  • Dechant63
    Dechant63 Posts: 59
    Options
    Yes it's AWEOME!! Definitely a motivator.
  • callandert
    callandert Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I was mortified when my trainer suggested that I should lose 30lbs! But after reality set in...I knew she was right and figured it was now or never! Even though I knew what I needed to do...30lbs seemed impossible...so I chose instead to focus on 5lbs at a time.
    Once my first 5lbs was gone...I focused on the next 5lb. I am now halfway to my goal and focusing on my next 5!

Everyone has their own inspirations but this has worked for me! Best of luck to you! :):smile:
  • sbrownallison
    sbrownallison Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Lots of good ideas here. Definitely slice it into small, manageable goals, and they don't have to be all scale-related: looser clothes, feeling better for having eaten more thoughtfully, forming new healthier habits, beginning the steps to bring exercise into your life. A year could pass and you could be at the weight you are today (or heavier) -- or you could have made some progress, maybe a lot of progress. There are a lot of success stories on this site from people who have lost in the hundreds of pounds. You can be among the success stories. .One thought that keeps me going is that my goal is HEALTH, not vanity or another short-term goal.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    When I started I was starring at having to lose 300+ pounds, talking about overwhelming I was so deep in a hole I really seen no way out... I had to forget about what was going to be 6 months or 1 year or even 3 years from now and be concerned with the now... I broke everything down to dealing with each day and not looking past that day... I got up every morning and committed to do everything I could do to be as successful today that I possible could so that when I put my head on my pillow that night I had no regrets knowing I did my best... and I went to sleep and got up and did it all over again the next day... I still use this approach, do I have longer term goals and whatnot now?? Sure but I can only control what I do in the Now so that is my focus.... Best of Luck....
  • thebowhunter
    thebowhunter Posts: 173
    Options
    Take it one day at a time. Plan your meals and workout for the next day and stick to it and every day will be a victory. Planning beyond that is wasted effort. You can only do today. Do today well and in just 7 days you will have done a week well and 4 of those will be a well done month and 12 of those will be a well done year. One day at a time. I still hold to that and its worked great.
  • zipnguyen
    zipnguyen Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    baby steps...even if you think 2lbs/month, well that's 24lbs per year. Not too shabby.
  • STLBADGIRL
    STLBADGIRL Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    Thinking about how far I had to go was to much for me to consume...and I always failed. The best advice was to take one week at a time. I shot hard for the 2lb a week goal. Before I knew it I was losing 10 and then 20 lbs....and so on. Take small steps....make mini daily and weekly goals (I am going to drink 8 glasses of water today...I am going to work out for 60 mins, etc) and do daily and weekly challenges...I challenge myself to start strength training...I challenge myself to speak positive about my new lifestyle...etc.

Good luck.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!