Being a runner AND strength training... How?

Options
I run. Not well, or very fast, but it's something I do for cardio and want to improve on. However, I also recognize the importance of strength training. I'm having a hard time figuring out how to balance it all. Do I strength train to maintain muscle while running? Do I actively work to build muscle?

I'm just worried that running isn't as efficient for fat loss, but strength training isn't as efficient for increasing my running speed. But I have 20 pounds or so to lose, so does it actually matter?

Furthermore, how do runners get such amazing upper bodies? Is it just by running? Help!

Replies

• hailz840
    hailz840 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Strength training will absolutely help you, cardio or running in your case is great for weight loss. Strength training will help tone you, once you build muscles it will help you burn more for longer too. How many days a week are you running? I would try to included strength training twice a week. If you dont belong to a gym you can include strength at home like squats, burpees, press ups etc etc
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I run Monday, Wednesday and Saturday mornings, and I strength train Monday, Wednesday and Thursday evenings. I do other cardio Tuesdays & Sundays. I started strength training in February and running in May, and now I wouldn't want to have to give up either of them.
  • briley76
    briley76 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I do both. I lift on M/W/F. Run a 5k on T/Th. Strength training burns more calories because of the after burn. You're metabolism is raging for up to 24 hours after you lift. If you want to strength train to lose fat. Train legs. Squats, lunges, deads, burpees. Legs are the largest muscle group and burn the most energy to work.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Like other said, just alternate your workouts. HIIT is a great way to get in strength training while bringing your heart rate up and I've found it vastly improved my running, not only speed but also endurance. I do 3 days of running and 3 of HIIT, alternating.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    You're over thinking this
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I would suggest to prioritize one of them. If you think of yourself primarily as a runner, then keep your strength training relatively light, focusing on lifts and exercises that will assist your running--such as hamstring and calf strengthening, and some not particularly taxing upper body work. If you want to be a lifter, then running has to be light and relatively short, so as not to interfere with recovery. I think it's a mistake to try to go all out on both running and lifting, since they have somewhat opposing requirements.
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    You can do both as long as your goals are realistic. You won't become a truly competitive weightlifter and 5K contender at the same time, one will always detract some from the other, but for many people that is consistent with their goals and not a problem at all.

Sprinters have great upper bodies. Distance runners tend to be skinny. Maybe sprint or middle distance training would work for you.
  • WildcatMom82
    WildcatMom82 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I'm doing Les Mills Pump, which is basically at home Body Pump, and running where I can. The calendar actually calls for walks of varying lengths so I run instead those days and sometimes on my rest days. The Pump calendar has 3 main strength workouts a week plus abs 2-3x a week, plenty of room for running.
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I would suggest to prioritize one of them. If you think of yourself primarily as a runner, then keep your strength training relatively light, focusing on lifts and exercises that will assist your running--such as hamstring and calf strengthening, and some not particularly taxing upper body work. If you want to be a lifter, then running has to be light and relatively short, so as not to interfere with recovery. I think it's a mistake to try to go all out on both running and lifting, since they have somewhat opposing requirements.

Agreed, but I don't think it has to be a permanent priority. You could alternate by the year or season or whatever..
  • NikoM5
    NikoM5 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    As a runner, your diet will be especially crucial to your success as a lifter. You're going to have to eat a lot to offset the cals burned from running and have enough left over to build muscle.
  • alikonda
    alikonda Posts: 2,358 Member
    Options
    Body weight strength training is your friend. Pushups, squats, lunges, etc. Speed improvement will come from doing HIIT routines - whether you're running intervals on the track or jumping for plyometric exercises, you'll build the right kind of strength to improve your running.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Just do it!
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options

This ^^^^^

I have just recently had to change my programming because I was doing a heavy lifting program as well as a 10k training program all while eating at a deficit. It was a disaster, for me anyway. I have decided to focus on the running due to the time of year, with a lighter lifting program 2 days/week. Once this program is done, in about 8 weeks, the weather will be getting colder and I can switch my focus back to heavy lifting.
  • vienna_h
    vienna_h Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    bumping cuz im also curious!
  • __delete
    __delete Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    You're over thinking this

This.

I spent a long time thinking about it. Tried and stopped a few times. Now I lift m/w/f, running t/th/s

Take a bit for your mind to adjust, just do it. But definitely pick one as your focus, it gets 200 percent of your attention, the second one gets 100 percent of your focus.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    I don't know the answer to your question... but I do know this... I run, and I strength train... and I like my progress... ok, that's all, carry on... :)
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I run and do strength training. Right now running is my priority and will be until my race season is over. I have a half in october and I'll probably do another in November, but then I'll probably lay off until May.

So right now I run 5 days, 3 short, 1 speed day and 1 long day. And I do body weight strength training 3 days a week for 30 mins to an hour at a time.

After the Nov half I plan to cut back to 3 or 4 running days and do a heavy lifting program 3 days a week. The hope is by race time next year, because of the lifting I'll be stronger, less prone to injury and I'll be able to continue lifting and running at the same time.

I think you just need to organize and prioritize your goals.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    You need both, absolutely. Do a full body strength training routine 2-3 times a week, and do your lightest runs the day after you lift. You can still run 5x a week that way if you like.

PS. Nothing has made me a faster runner than when I started seriously strength training and working sprints in to my overall routine. I ran for like the last 10 years at 10min/mile, now I comfortably do long runs around 8:30 and achieved my first ever 6:52 mile....I attribute it mostly to strength training.
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options
    I do both. I'm training for a 10K right now, using Hal Higdon's 10K Novice Plan and it incorporates two days of strength training.

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51122/10-K-Training-Guide-Novice-Program

On those strength training days I do Stronglifts workouts or these workouts: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/marathon-weight-training-stay-strong-during-marathon-training.html.
  • dejalo
    dejalo Posts: 8
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses! I think prioritizing is a great tip and I'm glad to know I'm on the right path. If anyone has other suggestions, let me know! I've only been a regular exerciser for about a year so I'm still a newbie.