Intermitent Fasting and eating your daily calories

Hey guys and gals,

I've been doing intermittent fasting for about 4 months now along with tracking my calories. I've had mild success, but not as much as other people(I lose about half a pound a week) one of things I've been doing that I'm not sure about is hitting my daily calorie goal. I try to do it, but I find myself eating a bunch of food at the end of my feeding window trying to hit my calories, even if I'm not hungry. Those of you that have had success, do your hit your calorie goal or just eat till your full?

Thanks,

-Greg

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    If you're losing half a pound a week your deficit is only 250 cals. Eat less if you want to lose more.
  • glubben
    glubben Posts: 45 Member
    I have been hitting my calorie goals, the problem is I have to eat even though I'm not hungry to do so. what I'm asking is: To the people who have done intermittent fasting successfully, Do you eat to meet your calorie goals or do you just eat till you are full?
  • glubben
    I feel like with one exception (@3bambi3), folks aren't quite answering the question being asked, which is only somewhat related to the mild success portion.
    I can relate, as I have had days where I'm full at 1000 cals or so, and I will make a concoction of protein powder, coconut oil, almond milk, and about 2 tbsp chocolate chips to meet my calorie goal (kind of a cookie dough/protein & fat concoction). I'm curious as to whether or not I really need to do that.
    I feel like I'm adding like 0 clarity but I'm sort of invested in answers here as well, but have not been doing IF for long and don't feel qualified to answer anything about anything :smile:

your right. Hopefully we get an answer :)
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    IF works just like anything else, really. It's all about the calorie deficit. It's just that I find I naturally am not hungry in the morning and IF happens to be the way I tend to eat naturally. The eating window helps me keep my snacking in check.

Whenever I don't see the success I think I should have, I always go back to my logging. Did I stop using my scale? Have I been eyeballing portions or having an extra glass of wine and not counting? It all adds up. As for eating all of my calories in my window, I do what I suggested up thread an eat a good balance of foods and some calorie dense things (including treats) that help me reach my calorie goal.
  • glubben
    malibu927 wrote: »
    I do 14:10 most days and have no problem hitting my goals. If you aren’t, I would suggest either extending your window or foregoing IF altogether. It’s not for everyone.

I actually really like IF. I don't feel as hungry and have more energy. However I'm guessing my Calorie goal of 2500(based on TDEE) is a lot higher than yours. I really just want to know if its nesscary that I eat all those calories if I really don't feel like it.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    glubben wrote: »
    malibu927 wrote: »
    I do 14:10 most days and have no problem hitting my goals. If you aren’t, I would suggest either extending your window or foregoing IF altogether. It’s not for everyone.

I actually really like IF. I don't feel as hungry and have more energy. However I'm guessing my Calorie goal of 2500(based on TDEE) is a lot higher than yours. I really just want to know if its nesscary that I eat all those calories if I really don't feel like it.

My maintenance is about there (before Fitbit gets added in) so not much higher.

You can save the extra calories for another day if you’re planning to go out or have an event where you’ll eat more. But over the week you should be within the range.
  • glubben
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    IF works just like anything else, really. It's all about the calorie deficit. It's just that I find I naturally am not hungry in the morning and IF happens to be the way I tend to eat naturally. The eating window helps me keep my snacking in check.

Whenever I don't see the success I think I should have, I always go back to my logging. Did I stop using my scale? Have I been eyeballing portions or having an extra glass of wine and not counting? It all adds up. As for eating all of my calories in my window, I do what I suggested up thread an eat a good balance of foods and some calorie dense things (including treats) that help me reach my calorie goal.

I'm pretty strict on weighing my food. thanks for the suggestion.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    glubben wrote: »
    Hey guys and gals,

I've been doing intermittent fasting for about 4 months now along with tracking my calories. I've had mild success, but not as much as other people(I lose about half a pound a week) one of things I've been doing that I'm not sure about is hitting my daily calorie goal. I try to do it, but I find myself eating a bunch of food at the end of my feeding window trying to hit my calories, even if I'm not hungry. Those of you that have had success, do your hit your calorie goal or just eat till your full?

Thanks,

-Greg

I'm assuming success to you, is losing faster than 1/2 lbs a week.
    Because you are eating all your food in a shorter time period and filling up, you have a few options. Reduce your daily goal so that you don't have to cram food in. Eat less satiating foods so that you don't feel full as quickly, or eat a little more calorie dense foods.