To get the sleeve surgery or not?

Options
2»

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    LisaM242 wrote: »
    I am scheduled to have it in February. I need to lose a minimum of 100 pounds. I am 56 years old 5 feet tall and weigh 242 lbs. Since I started my pre surgery weight loss program I have lost 22 pounds in 60 days. For the first time in my life I'm actually eating correct and excercising every day. I think I can do this myself possibly. I would really like to hear some honest feedback on the good and bad about the surgery.
    I am currently training someone who had it. She comes in smelling of alcohol each time. After our 3rd session, I asked her if she had been drinking the night before. She shamefully admitted that she drinks constantly now ever since the surgery because she can't eat.
    I've referred her to a therapist to help address the issue on transference of over eating to over drinking.
    My concern isn't that she's training possibly while intoxicated. It's driving to the gym that way.
    Be sure that you're mentally ready to for this because you CANNOT go back. You'll NOT be able to eat foods you like and that may lead you to another habit instead.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Is it clinically indicated?

Is it accessible and financially available to you?

Are you comfortable with the risk vs benefit or the surgery?

Is your relationship with food such that you can accept not eating as much?
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    LisaM242 wrote: »
    I am scheduled to have it in February. I need to lose a minimum of 100 pounds. I am 56 years old 5 feet tall and weigh 242 lbs. Since I started my pre surgery weight loss program I have lost 22 pounds in 60 days. For the first time in my life I'm actually eating correct and excercising every day. I think I can do this myself possibly. I would really like to hear some honest feedback on the good and bad about the surgery.
    I am currently training someone who had it. She comes in smelling of alcohol each time. After our 3rd session, I asked her if she had been drinking the night before. She shamefully admitted that she drinks constantly now ever since the surgery because she can't eat.
    I've referred her to a therapist to help address the issue on transference of over eating to over drinking.
    My concern isn't that she's training possibly while intoxicated. It's driving to the gym that way.
    Be sure that you're mentally ready to for this because you CANNOT go back. You'll NOT be able to eat foods you like and that may lead you to another habit instead.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

This is actually very common in people who simply substitute one coping mechanism for another.