Running frequency?

Options
So I’m a relatively new runner since I’ve been running since July of this year. Lately I’ve been able to run about 10 miles a week or about 3 miles 3 or four days a week (4.0, 3.0,2.0, 2,0) at about an 8 minute mile pace. Should I be increasing the amount I run each time, the frequency, or my speed if I want to improve my endurance?

Replies

• bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest increasing distance. When I started out (and even now to some e tent) I found too many consecutive days could result in injury, but increasing distance steadily and gradually improved my running in every way.
  • tomaattikastike
    tomaattikastike Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    8 minute mile pace is pretty fast for a new runner! I wouldn't increase speed, at least not for all your runs, and I would not increase frequency; if you started just a few months ago, taking a day off between your runs is probably a good idea. I'd gradually increase the mileage, but the general recommendation is to not increase it by more than 10% per week. So, if you are running 2, 2, 3 and 4 miles in a given week, it might be a good goal to add one mile to one of those runs each week, and once you're at, say, 3, 3, 4 and 5 miles, take stock and make new plans. You can also try to vary your pace a bit, and not run them all at 8 minutes.

Do you have any running goals, beyond increasing your endurance?
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,686 Member
    Options
    Running more miles and running them mostly slowly will do most to increase your endurance.

Some people prefer to do more days, with fewer miles each day. Some do better with fewer days, but more miles each day. It depends on your schedule and how your body responds to each. I do better with more days (5-6) but YMMV.

Increase your distance slowly. The two best known rules of thumb are either 1) increase 10% each week, with a cutback week every 3 or 4 weeks, or 2) increase in miles as many days as you are running (i.e. 3 or 4) then hold that mileage for a month before increasing again. If you want to increase the number of days you are running, then start by spreading your current mileage over more days (i.e. if 3, 3, 4 now, try 2.5, 2.5, 3, 2). Then increase one of the runs the following week.

Run most of your runs at a slow conversational pace. That allows your body to build mitochondria etc. that will help your endurance and will teach your body to use more fat and less glycogen when you are running long. One day a week, work on your speed, if you want to get faster, but keep the percentage of your slow to fast miles at about 80%/20%.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    Have you considered entering a race? Maybe start with a 5K and follow an intermediate training plan. Then move on to a 10K.

Training for races provides structure to your runs.

Good luck.