Any members that have severe anxiety issues?

Options
haniame
haniame Posts: 97 Member
edited October 2017 in Motivation and Support
Hey all! I am 5 ft 1 @ 105 lbs, which is normal weight but I have been have severe anxiety for the last 10 days. Until October 1st I was fully active, doing cardio and weights and then all of a sudden i started having internal bleeding, which according to the Doc was because of over exertion from abdominal exercises. So I haven’t really been working out since almost 20 days now and I am mostly sendentary. However, as I mentioned earlier, my anxiety issues started 10 days ago and this happens every few months when I am under stress, however this time round it’s hindering me from eating properly. I barely have 1200 calories a day, and on top of that I end up vomiting half of what I eat.
Has this happened to anyone else? If so, I’d really appreciate it if you guys can help me cope.
Xx

Replies

• Andrilla87
    Andrilla87 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Anxiety can really mess a person up! I had major anxiety issues when I was in college. I've gotten it more under control now, but it still sparks up from time to time. My anxiety was about the possibility of throwing up and I decided that if I didn't eat then there couldn't possibly be anything to come back up. I ended up very thin in a short amount of time because I was down to a granola bar a day and never felt hungry. I was so thin it hurt to sit in chairs and I never felt like I had enough energy to get through the day. So, yeah, I know how you feel. There were a bunch of things I did that helped.

1. Identify supports: once my mom understood she was willing to be helpful. I could call her or my brother whenever I had anxiety. They knew many of my good and bad coping skills and could talk me down, so to speak.
    2. Identify helpful coping skills: I found that distraction worked best, so things like online word searches, hidden object games, and cold help me focus on something other than my anxiety. Also, I had to keep moving because I would freeze in place.
    3. Relaxation tape: I listened to a CD that was focused on reducing panic attacks. I don't remember the name, but it had guided meditation and such. I ended up listening to it to go to sleep a lot because my anxiety skyrockets at night.
    4. Know what sets you off: the list was so long for me. At one point even reading that a character in a book had thrown up was enough to derail me for an entire night. The biggest problem was my own thoughts. Before eating I would panic about the possibility of it making me sick, so I would plan to use one of my coping skills before eating.
    5. Medication: I did go on medication for a while. The daily style medication didn't do much, but knowing that I had my fast acting "emergency med" was more comforting than actually using it. There were some times where it felt like a life saver though!

Seeking professional help is also a good option. While it didn't cure mine, she pointed me in the correct direction for how to manage it and was able to help my mom understand why I freaked out about something that is a minor inconvenience to everyone else.

Sorry for writing a novel. Feel free to contact me if you need anything, I know how much it can suck and it can be helpful to have someone reminding you that you aren't crazy.
  • haniame
    haniame Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Andrilla87 wrote: »
    Anxiety can really mess a person up! I had major anxiety issues when I was in college. I've gotten it more under control now, but it still sparks up from time to time. My anxiety was about the possibility of throwing up and I decided that if I didn't eat then there couldn't possibly be anything to come back up. I ended up very thin in a short amount of time because I was down to a granola bar a day and never felt hungry. I was so thin it hurt to sit in chairs and I never felt like I had enough energy to get through the day. So, yeah, I know how you feel. There were a bunch of things I did that helped.

1. Identify supports: once my mom understood she was willing to be helpful. I could call her or my brother whenever I had anxiety. They knew many of my good and bad coping skills and could talk me down, so to speak.
    2. Identify helpful coping skills: I found that distraction worked best, so things like online word searches, hidden object games, and cold help me focus on something other than my anxiety. Also, I had to keep moving because I would freeze in place.
    3. Relaxation tape: I listened to a CD that was focused on reducing panic attacks. I don't remember the name, but it had guided meditation and such. I ended up listening to it to go to sleep a lot because my anxiety skyrockets at night.
    4. Know what sets you off: the list was so long for me. At one point even reading that a character in a book had thrown up was enough to derail me for an entire night. The biggest problem was my own thoughts. Before eating I would panic about the possibility of it making me sick, so I would plan to use one of my coping skills before eating.
    5. Medication: I did go on medication for a while. The daily style medication didn't do much, but knowing that I had my fast acting "emergency med" was more comforting than actually using it. There were some times where it felt like a life saver though!

Seeking professional help is also a good option. While it didn't cure mine, she pointed me in the correct direction for how to manage it and was able to help my mom understand why I freaked out about something that is a minor inconvenience to everyone else.

Sorry for writing a novel. Feel free to contact me if you need anything, I know how much it can suck and it can be helpful to have someone reminding you that you aren't crazy.

I feel exactly that!! Thanks a lot. And don’t be sorry this was really helpful ❤️
  • FitGamerSmoak
    FitGamerSmoak Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    All of what Andrilla said. Been through it all. They said everything perfectly.