Question for people swimming with Garmin watches

2»

Replies

• Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Other points:

- I want to know the lap count while I'm swimming without stopping. Sometimes I swim a sustained mile and just want to know when I've gotten there. Can't do that with a watch.
    - Calculating how many laps I've done based on the time is a nice mental distraction during longer intervals (up to a mile). If I lose track, I just swim for about the expected total time of the interval, e.g., my common mile time-- give or take. That's good enough for monitoring a workout!
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    fishgutzy wrote: »
    And i swim at last 4 miles a day Monday through Friday. 5 miles lady Monday and Tuesday.

Wow, @fishgutzy , That's varsity swimmer territory! Do you do two workouts a day?
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    - I want to know the lap count while I'm swimming without stopping. Sometimes I swim a sustained mile and just want to know when I've gotten there. Can't do that with a watch.

On the Tri watches you can load a swim workout to notify you after a distance, or time. Similar to run or bike workouts in that respect.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    On the Tri watches you can load a swim workout to notify you after a distance, or time. Similar to run or bike workouts in that respect.

Geeze, Mammal, you are always teaching me stuff. Well, I can definitely see how it would be helpful so long as it didn't miss a lap. I have to say that I'm getting really good at using the timer.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member

Geeze, Mammal, you are always teaching me stuff. Well, I can definitely see how it would be helpful so long as it didn't miss a lap. I have to say that I'm getting really good at using the timer.

As upthread I've noticed mine losses and few metres mid session, but it catches up again. No more than 10 metres of so at a time. As highlighted, that might be form, as I used to swim competitively when I was younger.

Part of the benefit of a watch, for me, is the travel. I rarely use the same pool on a regular basis, so different sizes that I can set to track progress.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Yesterday I set the watch up to tell me when it thinks we went a pool length. (Settings > Apps > Pool Swim > Alerts > 25 meters)

It seemed like a good idea. The alert kept going off in the middle of the pool, as if it was recognizing my turn and the change of direction. And it seemed consistent, but my mind was wandering. When I looked at the activity, the pace and strokes charts are blocky and in reverse places, which implies the watch miscounted badly.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2184088216
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    fishgutzy wrote: »
    And i swim at last 4 miles a day Monday through Friday. 5 miles lady Monday and Tuesday.

Wow, @fishgutzy , That's varsity swimmer territory! Do you do two workouts a day?

I did it all in the morning. One swim. I feel like I'm just getting warmed up at 2 miles.
    I'm in China on business right now. Checking out a new pool today. Supposedly has a lot more lane ropes.