Need help boosting metabolism

Options
BrityKitty
BrityKitty Posts: 28 Member
edited October 2017 in Introduce Yourself
Ok so this is my dilemma. I am obese i eat healthy when i do eat and work out etc., but i cannot lose weight no matter what i do. Its frustrating to say the least. Now I have had issues with my stomach for about 6 years it hurts to eat literally. Doctors cant figure it out I stopped trying to. Well since I have not been eating more than one meal a day for 6 years my stomach has shrunk and I cannot eat more if I tried. Im already on prescription weight loss pills and something to increase my appetite. Per doctors orders I have to start eating no less than 1,500 calories a day to get my metabolism going again. I was told I can't loose weight if I don't eat enough because my body is storing it for later. I don't want it later!!! The most i can stomach has been like 700 in a day before it hurts too much to eat anymore. Any advice helps.

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh all your solids and measure all liquids to determine what your intake is?
  • BrityKitty
    Options
    Do you weigh all your solids and measure all liquids to determine what your intake is?

I do unfortunately. But other than water I only drink 1 cup of coffee a day
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    weight loss pills work by reducing your appetite... so you're on them and 'something' to increase your appetite... really?!
  • Scubdup
    Scubdup Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, but as I understand it, the body requires a certain amount of calories just to function - even if you lay on a bed all day. I believe this figure is more than 700 calories for anyone regardless of size/age/etc.

Therefore if you only consumed 700 calories a day you would lose weight. Any sustained length of time doing that and you would not be obese.

I think there must be something wrong with your maths. It seems like the only possible explanation.
  • BrityKitty
    Options
    weight loss pills work by reducing your appetite... so you're on them and 'something' to increase your appetite... really?!

It's an axiexty pill. But it made me eat to say the least
  • TavistockToad
    edited October 2017
    Options

BrityKitty wrote: »

It's an axiexty pill. But it made me eat to say the least

that's good isn't it, seeing as you can only eat 700 cals per day?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Where to start...
    Ok so this is my dilemma. I am obese i eat healthy when i do eat and work out etc., but i cannot lose weight no matter what i do. Its frustrating to say the least.
    Everybody loses weight by consistently eating less than they burn. If you eat so much that you're obese, you're not eating healthily. Dieting and exercising for a few days and then stopping, doesn't have any impact in the long run.
    Now I have had issues with my stomach for about 6 years it hurts to eat literally. Doctors cant figure it out I stopped trying to. Well since I have not been eating more than one meal a day for 6 years my stomach has shrunk and I cannot eat more if I tried.
    Maybe the stomach pain will go away if you spread your intake over more meals. Your stomach has definitely not shrunk (stomachs don't do that).
    Im already on prescription weight loss pills and something to increase my appetite.
    This makes absolutely no sense.
    Per doctors orders I have to start eating no less than 1,500 calories a day to get my metabolism going again. I was told I can't loose weight if I don't eat enough because my body is storing it for later. I don't want it later!!! The most i can stomach has been like 700 in a day before it hurts too much to eat anymore. Any advice helps.
    Your metabolism is going just fine (or else you'd be dead). Your body can't store what it doesn't get. You are eating way more than 700 calories per day. Without having your height and weight and weight gain rate, it's impossible to estimate, but you are definitely eating more than 2000 calories on average.

If you log your food intake, consistently and honestly, you will be able to see it for yourself. Then you can see where you can cut without feeling deprived. If you get your intake down to 1500 real calories and stick to it, you lose weight.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    You need a new Doctor
  • BrityKitty
    Options
    if your metabolism stops, its because you're dead.

you aren't overweight because you eat too little. if that was a thing then people would never starve to death.

what are your actual stats? [/quote]

I'm 5'4 and have not gained nor lost in 6 years just stayed steady at 240. The weight was progressively gained during my 2 pregnancies
  • BrityKitty
    Options
    If you wanna increase calories, start making really calorie dense shakes to go with a meal.
    throw in a ton of peanut butter, eat some meals with a lot of avocado, lots of mixed nuts, try higher calorie cuts of meat

However, the whole storing it for later thing isn't a thing.
    If you have been eating 700 calories only, then weight would come off, you may wanna start weighing and measuring because it could be you already are eating more, maybe more then what you need.

Thank you I am going to look into using shakes I honestly never thought about it before but that will be a lot easier to stomach than solid food. And I kinda wish I could eat more sometimes especially when my 7 yo 60 lb child eats more than me my husband jokes about it all the time
  • BrityKitty
    Options

The increase is from my anxiety meds and I understand the concept of weight loss pills so I understand it makes no sense for her to prescribe them then tell me I don't eat enough ? Idk I'm trying them but the only way they help is because I go longer without eating now and actually get hunger pains so i remember to eat more often? It's confusing
  • BrityKitty
    Options
    Scubdup wrote: »
    I'm no expert, but as I understand it, the body requires a certain amount of calories just to function - even if you lay on a bed all day. I believe this figure is more than 700 calories for anyone regardless of size/age/etc.

Therefore if you only consumed 700 calories a day you would lose weight. Any sustained length of time doing that and you would not be obese.

I think there must be something wrong with your maths. It seems like the only possible explanation.

The way it was explained to me is your body does need food to function and a certain amount of calories to get your metabolism working. and if I'm not eating enough and even just going about my daily routine my body is going to store the calories I consume because I don't eat enough for my metabolism to kick in. It has been a progression over 6 years not like I gained weight over night. Plain and simple I have the slowest of slow metabolism and apparently it's because I do not eat enough if any every day (my husband has to remind me to eat majority of the time because I eat so little I don't think about it or when i do i get caught up doing something else and forget again)

you aren't overweight because you eat too little. if that was a thing then people would never starve to death.

what are your actual stats?

I'm 5'4 and have not gained nor lost in 6 years just stayed steady at 240. The weight was progressively gained during my 2 pregnancies
  • TavistockToad
    Options

The way it was explained to me is your body does need food to function and a certain amount of calories to get your metabolism working. and if I'm not eating enough and even just going about my daily routine my body is going to store the calories I consume because I don't eat enough for my metabolism to kick in. It has been a progression over 6 years not like I gained weight over night. Plain and simple I have the slowest of slow metabolism and apparently it's because I do not eat enough if any every day (my husband has to remind me to eat majority of the time because I eat so little I don't think about it or when i do i get caught up doing something else and forget again)

and how long have you been weighing and measuring your food intake? openign your diary would help.
  • BrityKitty
    Options
    Where to start...
    Ok so this is my dilemma. I am obese i eat healthy when i do eat and work out etc., but i cannot lose weight no matter what i do. Its frustrating to say the least.
    Everybody loses weight by consistently eating less than they burn. If you eat so much that you're obese, you're not eating healthily. Dieting and exercising for a few days and then stopping, doesn't have any impact in the long run.
    Now I have had issues with my stomach for about 6 years it hurts to eat literally. Doctors cant figure it out I stopped trying to. Well since I have not been eating more than one meal a day for 6 years my stomach has shrunk and I cannot eat more if I tried.
    Maybe the stomach pain will go away if you spread your intake over more meals. Your stomach has definitely not shrunk (stomachs don't do that).
    Im already on prescription weight loss pills and something to increase my appetite.
    This makes absolutely no sense.
    Per doctors orders I have to start eating no less than 1,500 calories a day to get my metabolism going again. I was told I can't loose weight if I don't eat enough because my body is storing it for later. I don't want it later!!! The most i can stomach has been like 700 in a day before it hurts too much to eat anymore. Any advice helps.
    Your metabolism is going just fine (or else you'd be dead). Your body can't store what it doesn't get. You are eating way more than 700 calories per day. Without having your height and weight and weight gain rate, it's impossible to estimate, but you are definitely eating more than 2000 calories on average.

If you log your food intake, consistently and honestly, you will be able to see it for yourself. Then you can see where you can cut without feeling deprived. If you get your intake down to 1500 real calories and stick to it, you lose weight.

My husband is actually making me use this after attending this doctors visit he's the one that mentioned my "intake" so he could see exactly what im doing and did you know it won't let you save a log that is under 1000 calories? Try and it gives a warning message but everything is well below "acceptable" so how can I be above 2000 if I can't manage to eat 1000 a day?
  • BrityKitty
    Options

and how long have you been weighing and measuring your food intake? openign your diary would help.

I have only started the last 2 days so far but I'm pretty predictable tbh the only time my diet fluctuates is when I am on my period and even then after I buy the junk food I don't want it anymore by time I feel like eating it my husband has done devoured it all so if buying and looking at food then having it eaten for you counts towards calorie intake I need to start logging my husbands.
  • Scubdup
    Scubdup Posts: 104 Member
    Options

Thanks for the reply. I still think you're under-counting the amount of calories you're consuming, and this remains by far the most plausible explanation for the situation.

Whether your metabolism is fast or slow, basic body function requires an amount of calories daily, which I understand is the Base Metabolic Rate. As far as I know, and I could be wrong on this - 700 is lower than any BMR on the planet. I think 1200 is the widely accepted lowest BMR in adult women.

If you had genuinely only eaten 700 calories a day, then irrespective of your metabolism, you would be in at least a 500 calorie deficit and losing significant weight.