Gym routine

Options
What is everyone's go to gym routine? When I go I always go the treadmill. I want to add more machines or weights but get a little intimidated on that side of the room. Are there some good resources out there on how much and which exercises to do the machines and weights?

Replies

• pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    I've been using, and enjoying and benefitting from, Strong Lifts 5x5. Have the app on my phone, tells me what weight I should be using, which set I'm on, monitors my progression, and "deloads" my work if I've been absent for a while. :) That and cardio (elliptical) on alternate days. I understand that it is a beginners program but it is working for me. Start lighter than you think you should, keep your form sound (there are examples of each on the site) the weight will catch up. OR, you can do a web search of beginner weight lifting routines and follow one of those. No reason to get intimidated. "That" side of the room is populated with regular folk just like the treadmill side.
  • FatWithFatness
    FatWithFatness Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I like starting strength, or New Rules of Lifting, there's a women's version as well. Strong lifts is good. 5/3/1 is a good program too.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I'll do 15-20 minutes or cardio when I get there, whichever machine I feel like (bike, elliptical, stairs) and then usually 20 minutes of abs and then either lower or upper body. Weekdays I stick to 5-7 moves and do either 3 heavy sets or 5 lighter ones depending on how things are feeling. For me legs is some or all of: split squats, squats, light deadlifts, leg press, hamstring curl, kickbacks, glute bridge raises, box steps. Arms is lat pulldown, tricep push down, seated row, upright row, shoulder fly, and adding back in bicep curls and push moves like overhead press and chest press that I have been limited on due to an injury.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I've run a variety of established strength programs over the years...I'd recommend doing some kind of established program rather than just doing your own thing...doing your own thing will be far less effective and efficient. I don't do any cardio in the gym...just ride my bike.
  • chispaza
    chispaza Posts: 153 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I also use Strong Lifts 5x5. I have the app on my phone and it tells me exactly what to do. If you don't feel comfortable with free weights, get a session with a trainer if you can and have them go over all the lifts with you. Strong Lifts only uses 5 different lifts. Squats, overhead press, barbell row, bench press, and deadlift.
    I've found that everyone in the weight room have neen very nice so just walk in there and get started and you'll soon feel comfortable there.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I do the Express Circuit at the gym, which is a 30 minute program that alternates carido and certain strength machines. I do that and then usually walk on the treadmill at a fast pace for 30 minutes. I do that every other day. On alternate days I do some cardio - usually a Fitness Blender HIIT/Cardio 45 minute workout in my garage. Or I walk/run on the treadmill or do the elipitical or try to do Couch to 5K outside.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I still feel a bit awkward and uncomfortable going to the gym. not sure why. But I go anyway. The people on the weight side of the room aren’t scary, they are just like anyone else. They’re just there to get their work out done and get on with the rest of their day like everyone else on the treadmill side of the gym.

I also suggest doing an actual program, like one of the ones mentioned above. If you can afford it maybe hire a trainer to show you how to do the lifts and help you feel a little more comfortable. I always thought that would help me but never wanted to spend the money lol.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    chispaza wrote: »
    I also use Strong Lifts 5x5. I have the app on my phone and it tells me exactly what to do. If you don't feel comfortable with free weights, get a session with a trainer if you can and have them go over all the lifts with you. Strong Lifts only uses 5 different lifts. Squats, overhead press, barbell row, bench press, and deadlift.
    I've found that everyone in the weight room have neen very nice so just walk in there and get started and you'll soon feel comfortable there.

This makes me smile, @chispaza. You sound like me! ;)

OP, I agree. Stronglifts 5X5. Download the app, learn the lifts, enjoy the gains!
  • chispaza
    edited October 2017
    Options
  • chispaza
    edited October 2017
    Options

• goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    If you can afford it, a personal trainer could help you immensely. Not only would they make you feel more comfortable in entering "that" side of the room, they'll be able to come up with a program that suits you.

Me, I'm injury prone, so I'm sticking to the machines at the gym. I bought a squat rack a few years ago and started SL5x5, but eventually I got the weights up fairly high and just misstepped, let the bar tilt a little, and hurt my back.

Cycling has taken a bigger role in my life lately because I can push as hard as I like without risking injury. Not so with my previous favourites, tennis and running.

But just because I have to structure my workouts around injury avoidance doesn't mean everyone has to. Trying new things to see what's a good fit for you isn't so bad.
  • MzRuthy
    MzRuthy Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I enjoy the rowing machine.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Having a gym membership and only using cardio machines is a shame!
    Lots of benefits from weight training, and I'd recommend getting a few lessons to show you the ropes and perhaps come up with a program to fit your goals. So many resources out there, and a simple full body routine will do wonders. Stronglifts 5x5 is recommended for a reason, its simple but effective.
  • changeconsumeme
    changeconsumeme Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I do New Rules Of Lifting For Women. Lots of variety without having to use up a ton of time in the gym. Resistance training doesn't have to be intimidating!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    I do a 10 min row then the AllPro routine.

Find a routine that suits you.

I found the 5x5's didn't suit me and do a routine that works on rep increases over weight increases. Still uses the same moves though.

Here is a good list. Look through it and chose one that fits you now, you can move on after a couple/few of months.
    Remember you start with light weights to get your form correct, then move on to lifting what is heavy for you.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Cheees, h.
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Hi. Does your gym have any group classes? I had the same concerns as you and someone recommended trying "body pump" class to me. My muscles get a pretty good work out there.
  • Thick_n_Fit_Mom
    Thick_n_Fit_Mom Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts is a great place to start, download the app. If that's not your thing, then depending on your goals, work according to them. It's easy to ask others for help/info... that's awesome, a lot of knowledgeable individuals on here, but what works for them, won't necessarily work for you, our body mechanics are different. Set your goal, and what you want to accomplish when you hit the gym. You got this! I mix it all up, so I don't get bored.. sometimes cardio in the beginning before strength training, sometimes cardio acceleration between sets, really gets the ticker pumping, and definitely a cardio finisher at the end of my strength training workouts, because I work according to my goals. And I log everything on notebook before I transfer to any app!
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I was doing 30 mins on the elliptical and then some strength training, but from what I’ve read for the physique I want I need to start doing more strength training and less cardio so I’m doing that now. I do lots of squats, lunges, ab exercises, etc.
  • Fitnessmom82
    Fitnessmom82 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I do 3 days a week of fast paced circuit training (upper, lower, core) with 20 minutes of cardio. I do bodypump class 2 days week. Some weeks I'll add a 6th day of just cardio (stairs or elliptical are my favorites). The 6th day is usually just because I enjoy going to the gym, clears my head for the day. If I've been really good about my workouts for the week I don't push too hard. If I missed a day during the week or didn't push hard, I use the 6th day to make it up.