Running in Winter

I live in Chicago, and I must admit that I am not looking forward to the coming season. This being my first since I got into running hardcore, I was curious how some of you guys also in colder climates handle the colder months. Obviously I can run on an indoor treadmill. This sucks, but I will do it if I have to. That being said, assuming hypothermia is not an issue and I am properly clothed, and assuming driving snow is not preventing it, is there anything wrong with pounding out some miles in the cold? Is there a particular training regimen you follow over winter so you will be as good to go as possible once Spring hits? Do you change up your diet in any way?

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited October 2017
    Invest in some decent cold weather gear (wind blocking jacket, good gloves, insulated running tights, etc). It helps so much. If you aren't sure what to get, go to a local running store and ask what they recommend. I started with the very basics and then added more things as I got colder on runs.

I live in Minneapolis and I'll run outside unless it is more than 10 degrees or so below zero (I know people who run even when it's below that, but since I'm a transplant from Arkansas, that's cold enough to make me stay inside!). Make sure to cover your face with something if you're running in real cold -- I have a running face mask that I got on Amazon and it works well -- it doesn't have to be really thick, it just keeps my face from facing all the wind and cold.

Watch out for ice -- that is the only thing that will really keep me inside. I know several people who have broken or fractured bones slipping on it, so I take that seriously.

I motivate myself by signing up for spring races. I have one in March that I usually do, so I need to keep my miles up during the winter. Yeah, I can do it on a treadmill -- but long runs on a treadmill are such a drag.
  • janejellyroll
    I've cross country skied in -2F cold, you can run in a Chicago winter.

Avoid the temptation to overdress. Running will keep you warm. If you wear a down jacket you'll overheat, sweat a lot, and your sweat will chill you if you stop. Dress for the second mile not the first. Drink something hot before you leave to warm you for the first mile.

Look into Microspikes or Yaktrax if you think you might encounter icy ground.

Yes, this. I can run in a jacket that looks really light even when it is very cold. It's the windblocking and insulation I'm looking for, not thickness. You will get warm -- even when it is cold.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    you seem to be a bit more of a hardcore runner than me. but i run outside year round, barring too much snow which is a rare treat in the NW. I dont change anything up too much except gear and I do tend to warm up a bit longer before my jog.
  • magster4isu
    magster4isu Posts: 632 Member
    Thanks for starting this thread. This will be my first winter of running as well. Looking forward to reading all the tips.
  • ABabilonia
    ABabilonia Posts: 622 Member
    Chicago here too and also first winter running. Thanks for all the tips.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited October 2017
    Assuming all the things you are assuming in your OP, then no... running in the cold is just fine. I don't do anything different. On the east cost, winter = short days/minimal daylight, so I tend to be more attentive to visibility - both being seen and being able to see. Otherwise, running in the winter is the same as running in the summer, it just needs more/different clothes.

Traction, I guess, is the one thing that may be different, depending on where you run and how the streets are.
  • EHollander89
    EHollander89 Posts: 169 Member
    I agree with the comments about a good jacket, gloves, and some cold gear running tights. I got a face mask off of Amazon that I wore a few times on really cold days. It helped with the cold, but it kept fogging up my sunglasses. I also would stick a Kleenex in one of my pockets in case my nose was runny. A hat or ear warmers might also help depending on the temperature and your preferences. Your body will warm up as you run, so some days a long sleeve shirt and gloves may be enough. The gloves are key for me.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    As others have said, the three things you need to worry about are proper gear, visibility and footing. I suggest investing in a few good base layer pieces and a wind/water resistant shell. I have Reynaud's syndrome and my hands are prone to numbing so I wear multiple pairs of gloves. If it's really cold, sometimes I will use hand warmers. I also like to wear a buff around my neck that I can adjust up and down as I need it for wind and snow protection. I have a balaclva, but I don't usually wear it until sub zero temps because it tends to gather ice around the mouth and nose which can be uncomfortable.

With shorter daylight hours, I am running more on the roads and less on trails and paths, so I always wear light clothing and a reflective vest plus blinking lights. Always run toward traffic if you are on the road. A head lamp is also a good idea.

When it snows, I try to wait until the streets have been plowed before I run. I join my local running group on really cold weekends for motivation and also having a pre-planned route helps.

Usually during the winter, I do one interval session per week on the dreadmill, usually Friday mornings. I don't mind doing intervals on the treadmill because the short segments break up the monotony, the workouts are generally short enough and I can control the pace. Doing this once a week gives me a mental break from putting on all of those layers and dealing with the cold. Running in the cold is not really bad, it's getting yourself out the door that is the hard part. Once you get in the habit though, it's just like running in the spring and fall, only with more clothes on.
  • janejellyroll
    I also found this really helpful during my first winter running: https://www.runnersworld.com/what-to-wear
  • sparklyglitterbomb
    sparklyglitterbomb Posts: 458 Member
    Thanks for posting. I slacked off some of last winter or went to the treadmill. I had some things that worked in cold weather, but a few that didn't. Now I've shrunk out of my warmer leggings from last year, so the hunt begins again.

I had the most trouble with my hands not staying warm - found a Buff around my neck helped a lot and another as an ear cover.

For those who have mentioned yak tracks of microspikes, do those affect your stride much? I've never used either, so am curious how they feel as you run.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    It's fine to run i the cold provided you are in the proper gear. I'm not a runner, but I ride...honestly, I'm a pretty fair weather rider...if it's much below 40* I just don't ride outside, just not my thing. I'm relegated to spending a lot of time on my indoor trainer during the winter (as much to do with the darkness as anything) and nice weekend afternoons which fortunately are abundant except for December and January.

I typically spend a bit more time in the weight room in the winter as well...nice and warm and it's a good off season break.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,215 Member
    I actually really enjoy running in the winter, just make sure you're prepared with the right gear for warm, traction, and visibility like many others have covered so you can do so safely. I don't alter my diet, might do some extra stretching to make sure I'm loose before I start. My wife and I really enjoy fall/winter 5/10ks in our area, something you can look into as an incentive to keep running through the cold and support some good causes. There's a Thanksgiving Day 10K we always try to do that benefits the local food bank, and the local ECHL hockey team does a "Frozen 5k" in January/February that benefits their foundation and gets you free tickets.

I'm also a jerk and I delight in staying active while everyone else hibernates and gets fat.
  • Spartan_Gingi
    Spartan_Gingi Posts: 194 Member
    I live in Utah. We have....interesting winters. I started running last Feb, in 25* weather. Wore a nice base layer, jacket, long running pants, a ballcap and shoes...with no socks. Oddly enough, my coldest part were my hands. It feels awesome to get out there when others don't, and once I'm through the first half mile, I don't even notice the cold.
  • rebben23
    rebben23 Posts: 24 Member
    edited October 2017
    Chicago here, too!
    My absolutely favorite running item has been a freebie from the Shamrock Shuffle a couple of years ago -- it's the fabric band on the top right. This thing can be an earband, a hat, a neckwarmer, or (my fave) a lightweight face mask. It's a lifesaver!

17f5zfiq0rgy.jpg

Chicago does a pretty good job keeping the downtown lakefront path clear of ice so I've not had a problem, but I use my judgement, too. If the waves are out of control, just use the treadmill.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    I’m going to second or third the comments on visibility and traction. You need to be very visible to traffic anytime, but when the roads are narrower due to snow banks and corner visibility is lessened due to snow banks, you need to be even more visible. And traction/footing can be tricky when you’re running on roads that are mostly clear but have snowy/icy spots (things like yacktrax don’t do well on dry ground).

The clothing stuff is a given. They make all kinds of clothing for all kinds of temps and it’s a matter of finding your personal comfort there. But certain practicalities due to snow and visibility aren’t so obvious until you come face to face with a car at a corner because neither of you saw each other and you’re already practically in the middle of the road because there’s 4 ft of snow in the shoulder and you’re trying to step around black ice and there’s a 6 ft tall pile of snow at the corner.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    I'm in SoCal so my "winter" is something I am very much looking forward to. 50 and 60 degrees sounds heavenly! :D
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    For those who have mentioned yak tracks of microspikes, do those affect your stride much? I've never used either, so am curious how they feel as you run.

I've hiked but not run in Microspikes. They add about a pound to your feet.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    I love running in the winter but refrain if there's a risk of ice on the roads. This holds especially true since I usually run when it's dark outside.

That said, running during a snow fall is awesome. It's super peaceful.