1500 calories, 5'10" 200 lbs... will I lose weight?

Options
2»

Replies

• misnomer1
    misnomer1 Posts: 646 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Yes you will.
    If your activity level (non exercise daily chores, work movement etc) is low, 1500 (net after deducting intentional exercise) sounds good to me. If its high, you could eat a bit more.
    After 4 weeks track your actual weight loss and readjust.
  • cleenjones
    cleenjones Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for contributing to this thread. It's been really helpful. I'll set my caloric goal at 1500 for the next month and see what happens I was hoping for 2lbs a week but will be happy as long as I see the scale start to move in the right direction....
  • pbbananacoffeechocolate
    Options
    I'm 5'10", weigh 162 lbs, and have been losing weight at 1900 cals/day. I tried to speed things up by dropping to 1400 cals for a couple of weeks, and it slowed my progress almost to a stop. I actually lose faster at 1900 cals, plus I'm not miserable. :smile:
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I'm 5'7" 62 yo and I lost all my weight at 1700.
  • natalieaspin5
    natalieaspin5 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If it helps....The NHS diet recommends 1400 with 30 minutes activity a day
  • cleenjones
    Options
    saraghali wrote: »
    I am 5'10 158 pounds atm and 38 years old. I lose at 1500 give or take 100 calories any given day. Because you are heavier than me you can eat more generally speaking. Try the number mfp gave you for a month, watch the scale and adjust from there.
    May I ask what's your starting weight?

• cleenjones
    Options
    My start weight was 224. I dropped to 189, but put 10 pounds back on over the summer. I stopped logging and over-indulged on weekends. Lesson learned: I need to weigh my food and log to stay on track.
  • hesterific
    hesterific Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    My goal is 1700 cals per day. I had a nasty 3+ week plateau and discovered I was shorting my calories by about 500 per day. Yikes. I upped my calories and I'm back to losing like crazy. I don't like MFPs calculator, personally. I'm 41, 5'3", 178-179, goal 150 (I'm bony at 145)
  • cleenjones
    Options
    Moving my calories from 1500 to 1700, and hoping to see some weight drop in a couple of weeks from now. I think I’ve been eating too few calories based on what folks have been saying. I’ll post again in 2 weeks with an update (keeping fingers crossed)
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Update. I have eaten 1600 calories for 1 week as opposed to 1500 before. I lost .5 pound this week as opposed to .4 average 4 weeks before. Not significant yet. Just interesting.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    cleenjones wrote: »
    I'm truly confused and hope someone can help. MFP says I should be eating 1200 calories a day to lose weight ( I'm a 54 yr old female), but that seems low. Is there a more accurate way to figure out how many calories I should eat each day?

1200 is a default based on "I want to lose xx pounds per week." That said, 1200 is more appropriate for elderly or petite sedentary women.

Choose an appropriate weekly weight loss and you get a more accurate calorie estimate. Choose no more than 1% of your current weight, and remember MFP gives you a calorie goal before exercise.
  • brig220
    brig220 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I’m the same age and 5’9”, loosing at 1600 calories with not much to loose. I had a similar question when I started here recently. 1200 calories is really low for anyone. I would think that you’ll loose at anything under 2000 cal. You may want to start easy, like 1800 because you don’t want to get too hungry when you start, and decrease if the scale doesn’t move after a couple of weeks.
  • Piqueaboo
    Piqueaboo Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    You will lose weight on 1500 calories, but slower. It's fine. It's not a race.