How often do weigh in?

Options
JollyHodgers87
JollyHodgers87 Posts: 165 Member
edited October 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
I hate to beat a dead horse and bring up a topic that’s been asked before. But I’m curious to see if anyone else is doing like I currently am and if you’ve gotten results! I’ve read comments on this subject from other people who use the app and it seems most (at least that commented on the other forums) do so once a day or 1-3 times a week. However, I’ve been trying something new. I hopped back on mfp almost 3 months ago and decided this time I wasn’t going to weigh myself until I see solid results. When I can tell I’m more fit, I’m going to finally weigh in! I’m trying to gain a little muscle and lose weight this time so that I’ll be more toned. Beforehand, I wasn’t working out as frequently. Anyway, I don’t want to weigh myself and get discouraged. I know adding muscle can make you weigh more. And it’s hard to differentiate between weight gain from muscle vs. weight gain from fat. I’m kinda scared of the scale now! I’ll know Im in shape when I look in the mirror and see it and feel healthier. I used to weigh in a lot though. I’ll weigh in ASAP! As soon as I feel ready. But...as far as once a day or once a week, from my newfound experience, I feel better focusing less on the number on the scale and more on how I feel improvement wise on my health journey. Are you an infrequent scale stander? And if so, are you still getting good results?!

Replies

• akionabr
    akionabr Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I too recently started back up using mfp. I would plan to weigh myself around once a week, say like every monday, but I notice myself being curious and weighing myself almost everyday which I plan to stop doing as it can kind of lead to some discouragement. I think its a good idea to weigh yourself much less, but maybe once a month or once every two weeks to ensure you are making progress, and if you aren't you can address the issue instead of going a whole month or two or more without making any big progress. Just my thoughts.
  • Raven_Hawk
    Raven_Hawk Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I weight every day, for a couple of reasons. First, it sets me in the right frame of mind first thing in the morning. Second, it keeps me aware that weight can fluctuate significantly on a day to day basis. For me, there is nothing more soul destroying than waiting an entire week to weigh and then registering a no-change or worse, a gain.
  • pezen007
    pezen007 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have been at it for 12 months exactly but only started using MFP 2 weeks ago. In that 12 months I attempted to weigh myself once a week. I tried to weigh myself on the same day at the same time every week.
    There were times that I lost 0.5 kg, there were times I stayed the same there were weeks where I put on 0.5 kg. Then you get weeks that really put a smile on your face where you would lose
    1 kg, 1.5 kg or even 2 kg.
    For whatever reason i may have missed my weigh in so I did it a couple days later. It shouldn't matter as perceive it as a lifestyle change. I think everyday is overkill there is more to life surely. Your body weight can vary from 0.2 to 1 kg every day depending on fluid intake.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning and track it in a trending app. This way I can see past the daily fluctuations and notice what is happening overall.
  • Jancandoit7
    Jancandoit7 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Also use a trending app and weigh myself 2-3 times a week- (wish I'd done this to see my weight trending upward! Probably wouldn't be here- :D) Anyway, I love the trending app- I've learned that I tend to drop between 1-2 pounds about every 10 days, so if I don't see a weekly weight loss I'm no longer concerned. I use the Happy Scale app if anyone's interested. I set 5lb mini goals and I like seeing these small victories achieved. My WL goal is 35-40 pounds. Just do what is comfortable for you-
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Years back I did exactly as you described and it worked like a charm. I was afraid to know my actual weight when I started so I just decided to fix my diet and only wanted to look better, feel better etc. The number on the scale didn't matter much to me.
    This time around I use the scale, as I have gotten older, I think every metric I can find is useful information. Generally its only in the morning
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    When I weigh infrequently I gain weight.
    Since you know this topic is discussed a lot, hopefully you've read some of the other threads. Then you know that BF scales are worthless, and you know that you don't add on muscle mass while losing.
    However, if it works for you, that's wonderful, and keep going!
  • JollyHodgers87
    JollyHodgers87 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    When I weigh infrequently I gain weight.
    Since you know this topic is discussed a lot, hopefully you've read some of the other threads. Then you know that BF scales are worthless, and you know that you don't add on muscle mass while losing.
    However, if it works for you, that's wonderful, and keep going!

Thanks. What is a bf scale?

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Body fat
  • MinuitMinuet
    MinuitMinuet Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily (sometimes more) but as for logging it? Not until it hits a 5 or a 0.. I like to keep my goals simple. Log every 5 pounds.