Can you still lose weight by eating McDonalds occasionally?

Options
Like once every week or 2 weeks as long as my daily caloric intake is lower then my body maintenance, and if I exercise 3x/week? Surely, a quarter pounder burger & fries once in a while won't make much difference?

Or do you completely avoid fast food altogether?

Replies

• Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Yep, so long as you are at a deficit, you will lose weight.
  • JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I eat fast food several days a week. It's all a matter of where you go and what you order. It's not tough to score meals under 500 calories at lots of different places, so no need to limit yourself to McDonald's. Wait until you discover fresco tacos from Taco Bell.

If you utilize the search function above, you will find that there are entire and quite lengthy threads dedicated to the subject with lots of items to order at the various chains. I have picked up lots of good tips this way.
  • misnomer1
    misnomer1 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Yep. A cheeseburger and a diet soda is only s 300 calorie lunch, better thanost of whst you'd get st Subway. Generally I try to keep breakfast and lunch right around 300. Tacos aren't too bad either, especially if you lay off on the extra cheese and sour cream, and get a soft tortilla rather than a deep fried one.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Yeppers. Log it and keep on keeping on. I eat fast food a couple of times a week, plus a couple slices of pizza every other Friday.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    I used to eat McDonald's and other fast foods most nights, all throughout my major weight loss. I wouldn't necessarily recommend it, but yes you can.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Yes. Exercise regime is irrelevant... Deficit is important.
  • Etsar73
    Etsar73 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    No never. You can't have so much as a bite or you will put on weight. Unless you exercise 7 days then maybe you can have a bite but no more than a bite or you will put on weight. Nah... of course you can. Actually l might have some tomorrow and l might not even do exercise!
  • sksk1026
    sksk1026 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    My regular treat is an egg mcmuffin and a latte from McD! I just count the calories.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,069 Member
    Options
    Yeah log it, fit it in and.you can eat pretty much what you want, I have lost almost 40lbs eating the occasional Dominos, Maccy D's etc. I have reduced it because I want to improve my nutrition but still have one maybe once a fortnight.

The thing to take into account with fast food is that it's morr sodium heavy and generally more carb heavy so yes you will see a weight increase even if you kept to your deficit but it's water retention not fat and just your body balancing your fluids out. So nothing to worry about.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    I had Maccys the other night. Cheese burger and a diet coke for me
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    YES!
  • aemsley05
    aemsley05 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend loves fast food so we eat McDonald's, KFC, Subway, Domino's etc several times a week - hasn't stopped me losing or maintaining weight! One great thing about fast food places is they typically have nutritional information readily available so you can look things up in advance and make informed decisions about what you can fit into your calorie allowance. Since I don't really care for fries, I swap them for salad at McDonald's or beans at KFC - keeps the calories down and means I can then eat a McFlurry guilt free :D
  • swebb1103
    swebb1103 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Most restaurant menus are on here, so It's easy to track. What I like about that is I can compare calories - a burger and fries at Burger King has more calories than a carnitas bowl from Chipotle, which is more food so is often what I will go for. Or 2 drumsticks at KFC with mashed potatoes and gravy is about the same calories as a nugget meal from McD's. Or several soft chicken tacos versus a 4 piece nugget meal.... You can preplan your fast food meal to fit into your day based on your exercise that day. I try to limit fast food to one day a week, usually lunch, but that isn't always possible, so I preplan as much as I can.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    neely47 wrote: »
    Like once every week or 2 weeks as long as my daily caloric intake is lower then my body maintenance, and if I exercise 3x/week? Surely, a quarter pounder burger & fries once in a while won't make much difference?

Or do you completely avoid fast food altogether?

Weight management is about calories not type of food. Lose weight with a calorie deficit. Make it fit in your calorie goal.
    Look up nutritional info and make your choices.

I've lost weight eating fast food once a week. Sometimes I get fries sometimes I don't. I don't get the triple bacon cheeseburger, large fries and a shake. I might have a regular burger, side salad with vinaigrette dressing and unsweetened iced tea for under 400 calories.
    A lunch I prepare at home is typically about 400 calories. I've found things at many restaurants for around that amount.
  • NoLimitAsLimit
    NoLimitAsLimit Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Yep it's fine. For weight loss, being in a caloric deficit is the most important thing followed by a balanced diet. Have your McDonald's. Although I don't rate their burgers, it's not big enough nor does it taste that good.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    No. You need to eat only kale.

Sorry, sure, you can eat whatever you want and lose weight.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    Etsar73 wrote: »
    No never. You can't have so much as a bite or you will put on weight. Unless you exercise 7 days then maybe you can have a bite but no more than a bite or you will put on weight. Nah... of course you can. Actually l might have some tomorrow and l might not even do exercise!

Truth. I'm picking up Chick Fil A for lunch, and I even cancelled spin class this morning!