Over net weekly calories means what

Options
I was 585 what does that mean

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Is that net weekly calories for maintenance or net weekly calories for a loss?
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    If you are in a deficit, it means your weekly deficit is smaller by 585 calories. (if you picked 1lb loss a week your weekly deficit is 3500 so your actual weekly deficit was 2915)

If you are at maintenance, it means you gained roughly 1/7th of a pound that week.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    No matter what you were aiming to achieve, missing by less than 600 calories above or below will lead to a change in your bodily fat stores too small for your consumer-grade scales to accurately detect.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Depends. What is your deficit supposed to be?
    If that 585 over is more than your maintenance calories then you won't see a loss this week. If it is still less than your maintenance calories your weight might stay the same or you might not lose as much as you were supposed to.
  • Famof72015
    Famof72015 Posts: 393 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    It's net calories over weekly goal. I'm suppose to be in a deficit. So that means I gained or I am still on track to lose?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Famof72015 wrote: »
    It's net calories over weekly goal. I'm suppose to be in a deficit. So that means I gained or I am still on track to lose?

You’re still on track. As others have said you just ate 585 calories more than you should have, but you’re still under what you would need to eat to maintain your weight.
  • Famof72015
    Options
    But for total not net it says 4152 over weekly total Calories... holy cow what does that mean? YIKES
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    I'm going to go back to my standard analogy - thing of your body and calories like you do a bank account and money. If you put more in than you take out, it'll get bigger. If you take out more than you put in, it'll get smaller. The more consistently you can stay on budget, the better your progress will be.

As for the net vs total...
    The money analogy still holds (think net vs gross income = net vs total calories) - with money, the difference is taxes. With calories, the difference is exercise. The more you exercise, the bigger the difference will be between net and total. That's the way MFP is designed to work - it gives you a calorie goal that should result in weight loss ASSUMING YOU DON'T EXERCISE (because exercise is not required for weight loss, and some would argue it's not an efficient tool for weight loss, but that's another conversation).

Anyways, if you do choose to exercise, then you alter the formula MPF is using, and it adjusts. When you log exercise, your daily calorie goal will change, and that's when you'll see the difference between net and total cals.

Does that help? Hopefully I didn't get too bogged down in details and end up confusing you.
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Options
    But for total not net it says 4152 over weekly total Calories... holy cow what does that mean? YIKES

Both of the numbers you have posted cant be weekly totals. So you are leaving out a key word some where.

If the 585 calories is over your daily goal, and the 4152 is over your weekly goal, then it will depend on what weight loss target you picked. if you picked 2lbs per week, then you are still in a weekly deficit of 2848. However if your weight loss target is 1lb per week, then you are over maintenance by 652 and would gain close to 1/5th of a pound this week.

Either way you are leaving out information we need to know to tell you specifically what to expect.
  • Famof72015
    Options

Both of the numbers you have posted cant be weekly totals. So you are leaving out a key word some where.

If the 585 calories is over your daily goal, and the 4152 is over your weekly goal, then it will depend on what weight loss target you picked. if you picked 2lbs per week, then you are still in a weekly deficit of 2848. However if your weight loss target is 1lb per week, then you are over maintenance by 652 and would gain close to 1/5th of a pound this week.

Either way you are leaving out information we need to know to tell you specifically what to expect.

I don't think I'm leaving anything out. 585 is net calories over weekly goal and 4152 is total calories over weekly goal... so idk. Lol. I'm just going to go with it

• Poisonedpawn78
    Options

I don't think I'm leaving anything out. 585 is net calories over weekly goal and 4152 is total calories over weekly goal... so idk. Lol. I'm just going to go with it

was your exercise calories 3567 for the week? If so then the 585 is the important number to compare vs your weight loss goal.
  • Famof72015
    Options

was your exercise calories 3567 for the week? If so then the 585 is the important number to compare vs your weight loss goal.

I don't add exercise to mfp I have a Fitbit and walk with my workout around 15-20,000 steps a day

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

I don't add exercise to mfp I have a Fitbit and walk with my workout around 15-20,000 steps a day

So your Fitbit adjustments for the week added up to 3567. It’s the same as what he asked.
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Options

is your fitbit synced to MFP?
  • Famof72015
    Options

is your fitbit synced to MFP?

Yes. I logged into Fitbit dashboard and it says -2974 this weeks deficit. So I'm assuming I'm under 2974?

• Famof72015
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »

So your Fitbit adjustments for the week added up to 3567. It’s the same as what he asked.

I have no clue I don't even understand where you found that or how you found that and what that even means??

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry for being the *kitten* here (insert unsupportive people thread), but how do you have 311 posts and what seems to be no basic understanding of MFP or basic weight loss?

If you want to learn/understand, it's really not that hard. The analogy I made earlier with a bank account is really a good one. Most people understand the basics of making a budget - the same principles apply to weight loss.

If you don't want to learn/understand, that's more than fine... but in that case, just do what MFP tells you to do and go with it. MFP works, if you let it.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Okay. Looking at my week (as an example). I'm set to lose 1 lb per week (3500 calorie deficit).

MFP gives me a daily goal of 1850, so 12,950 for the week. (Sedentary)
    I ate an average of 2,269, or 15,883 for the week.
    My total is over 2,953 for the week (close to 1 lb over). This is my total calories. Based on this, I would lose a fraction of a pound.

I exercised and did other activity during the week. I track with a Garmin watch so the same idea as you fitbit.
    My average net was 1,662, or 11,634, so I did 4,249 calories worth of exercise/activity above sedentary for the week.
    My net calories under goal are 1,315, so ~ 1/3 lb more than plan. I should lose (assuming everything is accurate) 1 1/3 lbs for the week.

In your case, the exercise/activity is the difference between being over Total 4152 and being over Net 585. That is 3567. That it doesn't agree to what the Fitbit software shows of 2974 reflects a difference in the algorithms used between MFP and Fitbit. Remember these are all estimates.

You goal is to hit your net, and then see how that translates to your weight loss. If you lose at the expected rate, then your net is good and you tracking is on point. If you lose a bit faster then adjust and eat a bit over net. Similar if you don't lose as fast. Just base it on a trend or 6 week period and not on a few days or even a week.

• Famof72015
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    I'm sorry for being the *kitten* here (insert unsupportive people thread), but how do you have 311 posts and what seems to be no basic understanding of MFP or basic weight loss?

If you want to learn/understand, it's really not that hard. The analogy I made earlier with a bank account is really a good one. Most people understand the basics of making a budget - the same principles apply to weight loss.

If you don't want to learn/understand, that's more than fine... but in that case, just do what MFP tells you to do and go with it. MFP works, if you let it.

I understand better when it's thoroughly explained and I work full time, married and have 5 children under the age of 9... I don't spend a lot of time trying to figure crap out. I ask questions and I usually get kind replies and helpful answers if you can't be nice just keep scrolling by! You don't have to respond.
  • Famof72015
    Options
    Okay. Looking at my week (as an example). I'm set to lose 1 lb per week (3500 calorie deficit).

MFP gives me a daily goal of 1850, so 12,950 for the week. (Sedentary)
    I ate an average of 2,269, or 15,883 for the week.
    My total is over 2,953 for the week (close to 1 lb over). This is my total calories. Based on this, I would lose a fraction of a pound.

I exercised and did other activity during the week. I track with a Garmin watch so the same idea as you fitbit.
    My average net was 1,662, or 11,634, so I did 4,249 calories worth of exercise/activity above sedentary for the week.
    My net calories under goal are 1,315, so ~ 1/3 lb more than plan. I should lose (assuming everything is accurate) 1 1/3 lbs for the week.

In your case, the exercise/activity is the difference between being over Total 4152 and being over Net 585. That is 3567. That it doesn't agree to what the Fitbit software shows of 2974 reflects a difference in the algorithms used between MFP and Fitbit. Remember these are all estimates.

You goal is to hit your net, and then see how that translates to your weight loss. If you lose at the expected rate, then your net is good and you tracking is on point. If you lose a bit faster then adjust and eat a bit over net. Similar if you don't lose as fast. Just base it on a trend or 6 week period and not on a few days or even a week.

Thank you very much for taking the time to explain this and all of you who took the time. Thanks again!