Training program for hikers?

Options
lorrpb
lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
There are lots of training programs for running, cycling, etc, but are there any training programs for walkers, specifically to increase your ability for elevation gain?
I can easily walk 8-10 miles on the flats, I can do 4-5 miles up to 2000 ft gain, and I would like to get to 10 miles, 3000 ft. Then I could hike just about any trail in our area.
I walk 3-5 miles a day, swim 45 min 2x week, and strength train 2-3x week. I have an elliptical I use when the weather is too miserable and I crank up the resistance according to my ability. But I have no idea what level/time I need to achieve to meet my hiking goal.
Just wondering if there is a more quantifiable approach that would help me know what abilities I need to accomplish in training.
Of course, the simple answer is to just hike more, but I don't have the time/opportunity to go on long hard hikes every day or every week.
Or do I just keep doing what I'm doing and figure some day I'll get there?

Replies

• lorrpb
    Options
    For anyone who's interested, here are a couple links I found. They're not exactly what I want because the end result isn't quantifiable, like in a 5k or 10k plan. What I found most helpful to incorporate are the exercises for downhill stretches. I find them harder than the uphill, prob for the reasons stated.

https://www.backpacker.com/skills/the-workout-hike-farther-hike-stronger
    http://www.fitclimb.com/page/6-week-beginner-mountaineering
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    I worked with a lady who celebrated her 50th birthday on the PCT between the Columbia River and My Adams. She spent her lunch breaks walking up and down a nearby hill with a pack.

As a day hiker you should have a pack with things like water and an extra jacket. If you're used to wearing them, they won't contribute to the trail being harder than the neighborhood. Rocks and roots will do that enough. On the other hand the scenery and excitement hello carry you down the trail a little too. :smile:
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,686 Member
    Options
    When training for my various thruhikes, I would generally walk 3-5 miles each day, with longer hikes on the weekends. At one job I was able to walk the stairs for 30-45 minutes at lunch. Before my first thruhike, I filled a daypack with either books or water to get my shoulders used to walking with weight. If you have access to a gym, then stairmaster or a treadmill with incline would be best training. If not, then stairs or incline (parking garage or bridges if you live somewhere flat.)
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,987 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I mainly hike progressively longer trails w/progressively more elevation gain to build strength and endurance. I'm up to 8 miles w/1100ft of elevation.

However, when I'm at the gym, I spend most of my time on the StairMaster where I do at least one 30 min session (and sometimes 2) at level 6, which (for me) works out to 100 floors (about 1000 ft) in 1600 steps, which is about the highest elevation in my area.

There is one section of trail at a park near me that climbs 700 feet w/in a mile of switchbacks w/a max slope of just over 13° which is pretty steep.

The StairMaster sessions have enabled me to climb this slope at a slow but steady rate of 2.5 mph w/o stopping. 2.5 mph is my normal hiking/walking pace regardless of terrain; up, down or flat.

I I have also used a treadmill at the max elevation setting (usually around 10°) for a duration of at least an hour, at the rate of 2.5 mph.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    I just sort of...did it (I'm like a bumble bee that way). I was probably fortunate in that before I started day hiking, my every day walk included an 800-1000 foot elevation gain, so I was well used to hauling myself up a big hill. Then my weekend walks just got progressively longer, which also usually entailed higher (advantages of a hilly city).

Leg and glute strength is really important, especially for the downhill. I found this out the hard way by slacking on both strength training, then hiking. Went and did what is possibly my greatest in one hit elevation gain (3600 feet), had the cardio fitness and endurance for it, but not the strength, and messed up my knee big time. It's only now almost back to normal four months later (with a lot of strength and flexibility work).

I've now moved to a wee town that's flat as a pancake, but with an awesome bush trail right behind that has an elevation gain of 1200 feet in the space of about 2.5 km, so that's my new 'keep hiking fit' track.

My other tip would be stretch before, during, and after. I do yoga for my before and after, and make sure I'm doing a few quick stretches of quads, hammies and calves every hour or so during.
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    Trekking poles can help take some of the stress off your knees coming down big hills. Might want to see if they're for you.
  • lorrpb
    Options
    Trekking poles can help take some of the stress off your knees coming down big hills. Might want to see if they're for you.

Oh yes, I love them!
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I warm up with crab walks, bear crawls, and mountain runners. Then I do exercises with ankle weights and small hand weights, plus a lot of core exercises. Took a bad fall on the trail a couple of years ago because I didn't have the core strength to keep my balance, so planks are one way I am addressing this.

I use a half of a pool nudle (round side on the floor, foot on flat side) for balance exercises. I do abductor/adductor/hip flexor exercises with the ankle weights on as I stand on one foot and balance on the nudle while engaging my core. And I use my aerobic step trainer for stepping up and over, side to side, curtsey step ups, and Bulgarian split squats. I wear ankle weights and hold hand weights on my shoulders, though I worry about dropping them. Want to get a weighted vest instead. (Will use it for lunges, squats, and plies as well.)

Editing to add that I do arms/abs m/w/f and legs t/th because I hike on the weekends.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Weighted step ups, single leg work for both balance and strength(many different exercises), weighted carries (especially unilaterally weighted), and core work.
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    There are lots of training programs for running, cycling, etc, but are there any training programs for walkers, specifically to increase your ability for elevation gain?
    I can easily walk 8-10 miles on the flats, I can do 4-5 miles up to 2000 ft gain, and I would like to get to 10 miles, 3000 ft. Then I could hike just about any trail in our area.
    I walk 3-5 miles a day, swim 45 min 2x week, and strength train 2-3x week. I have an elliptical I use when the weather is too miserable and I crank up the resistance according to my ability. But I have no idea what level/time I need to achieve to meet my hiking goal.
    Just wondering if there is a more quantifiable approach that would help me know what abilities I need to accomplish in training.
    Of course, the simple answer is to just hike more, but I don't have the time/opportunity to go on long hard hikes every day or every week.

I just want to take a moment to say this is a lot of hard work. For anyone reading this these and pondering what advice to give, 3,000 feet of elevation gain is really very difficult.
  • lorrpb
    Options

I just want to take a moment to say this is a lot of hard work. For anyone reading this these and pondering what advice to give, 3,000 feet of elevation gain is really very difficult.

Yes, that's why I"m trying to figure out a plan to get there! I've made it from barely making it up a flight of stairs to 2000 ft in 3 years, so I guess I'll just keep going. Do you think realistically I can get to 3000 by next summer?
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Unfortunately, I don't have an good, quantifiable information for you. I will say that I'm a long time cyclist, and the first real hike I ever did was 12 hours, 16 miles round trip, with 3100' of elevation gain (Mt. Marcy in upstate NY, if anyone cares). I had no problems doing it with no training beyond my usual cycling and a little bit of running.

My point is that, ultimately, it's hiking. Which is just strenuous walking... so most strenuous, lower body cardio activities will probably translate reasonably well. I'd focus on building a good base - both endurance and a solid base of strength. You don't need to squat a zillion lbs, but carrying a 20lb pack for 12 hours takes its toll.

I could be very wrong though... this is totally an n=1 scenario, so who the hell knows for sure.
  • lorrpb
    Options
    @jjpptt2 I'm quite familiar with Mt Marcy but never climbed it. I preferred to enjoy it from less crowded peaks and vantage points. Used to live in upstate NY, in the 1980s. Thanks for your encouragement.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    . . . I would like to get to 10 miles, 3000 ft.

Are you in the SF Bay Area?

If you are, there's a 12-14 mile loop w/a 3200-3700 ft elevation rise/descent (estimates vary) at Mt. Diablo. It's rated as a hard all day hike that I hope to successfully complete some time soon.

Closest comparable hikes are in the Sierras but you can do 6-7 mile 2000ft loops at Mt. Tam in Marin.

Currently, 6-8 mile 1100 ft 3 hr loops at Round Valley and Black Diamond in Contra Costa are my max hikes so far.

• lorrpb
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    . . . I would like to get to 10 miles, 3000 ft.

Are you in the SF Bay Area?

If you are, there's a 12-14 mile loop w/a 3200-3700 ft elevation rise/descent (estimates vary) at Mt. Diablo. It's rated as a hard all day hike that I hope to successfully complete some time soon.

Closest comparable hikes are in the Sierras but you can do 6-7 mile 2000ft loops at Mt. Tam in Marin.

Currently, 6-8 mile 1100 ft 3 hr loops at Round Valley and Black Diamond in Contra Costa are my max hikes so far.

Those sound like great hikes. I'm in NW WA.
  • NorthCascades
    edited October 2017
    Options

Yes, that's why I"m trying to figure out a plan to get there! I've made it from barely making it up a flight of stairs to 2000 ft in 3 years, so I guess I'll just keep going. Do you think realistically I can get to 3000 by next summer?

Yeah. You're a lot of the way there already. :smile: