Three weeks into Keto. Still having headaches.

Options
I'm three weeks into Keto. I am doing great, and lost about 10lbs so far. I am using Pink salt and lemon water in the mornings, drinking electrolyte water, etc. However, each day, I still have headaches. Today is probably the worst one yet. I also eat plenty of fresh baby spinach, and 50/50 salad mix, tomatoes, avocados, etc. I just don't know why I am reacting like this. Help.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    That's a lot to lose in such a short time. How many calories are you eating per day?
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    That's a normal loss for having entered ketosis. I lost/gained about 8 pounds each time I entered/left ketosis, and it will vary a bit from person to person. Your problem is almost certainly sodium. In ketosis, your body no longer stores sodium. Try 5-8 grams (5000-8000 milligrams). That's the most frequent recommendation I see.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    also keto is not for everyone. some can do it and some cant.
  • ck2d
    ck2d Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Powerade Zero - drink a least one a day
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    ck2d wrote: »

she states she is getting sodium and elecrolytes so powerade isnt going to do anything if she is already getting whats in powerade.
  • Athena98501
    edited October 2017
    Options

she states she is getting sodium and elecrolytes so powerade isnt going to do anything if she is already getting whats in powerade.

She didn't actually give any indication of how much sodium she's getting at all, just that she's getting some amount that's unknown to us, unless she's told you something that isn't in this thread.

Typical electrolyte replenishment is not the same as what's required for an individual in ketosis, and beverages formulated for the average Joe, or even athletes, doesn't cut it for their purposes. Almost no one could make themselves use enough added salt to meet their needs in keto. Most people have to add especially salty foods to accomplish it.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

She didn't actually give any indication of how much sodium she's getting at all, just that she's getting some amount that's unknown to us, unless she's told you something that isn't in this thread.

Typical electrolyte replenishment is not the same as what's required for an individual in ketosis, and beverages formulated for the average Joe, or even athletes, doesn't cut it for their purposes. Almost no one could make themselves use enough added salt to meet their needs in keto. Most people have to add especially salty foods to accomplish it.

yeah its recommended to eat 3500-5000 mg of sodium and to get enough potassium and magnesium while doing keto as well. she also said she is drinking electrolyte water and so on. no she didnt say how much, but for many people if a keto headache or keto flu lasts that long it could be a number of things. but powerade zero like I said still isnt going to do much(im not the one saying it would help)

for me I tried keto over a year ago and even with electrolyte drinks and upping sodium,magnesium and so on I was still sick and had no energy and lethargic. for me keto was not sustainable as it made me so sick I was contemplating going to the hospital . I decided to not eat that way and started feeling better in a few days but took awhile to get back to feeling normal again. But for me I found out later on that my body cant handle high amounts of fats(due to a genetic cholesterol issue) and low amounts of carbs.

you dont need to add "especially" salty foods to keto you just need to get enough of the right micronutrients to prevent the keto flu/electrolyte imbalances. Like I said some people can do keto with no issues and others cannot do keto.
  • Cpenney87
    Cpenney87 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    That's a lot to lose in such a short time. How many calories are you eating per day?

I am eating between 1,200 and 1,500 calories a day. Usually though I stay around 1,230.
  • Cpenney87
    Options
    Thank you so much for the replies! Yes, I am beginning to wonder if I can sustain Keto. I do see in your replies though that sodium levels should be 3000-5000. Maybe that's what I'm doing wrong. I do use Powerade zero, and the propel waters, also Walgreens has a plain electrolyte water. I also use pickle juice, as well as lemon juice and water, with the pink salt mixed in every morning.

However, my numbers are about just under 3,000. That could be it...idk though, the headaches are bad. I get them everyday. Today has been the worst one yet though. I literally could not function. I had to just lay down for a few hours.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    Cpenney87 wrote: »
    Thank you so much for the replies! Yes, I am beginning to wonder if I can sustain Keto. I do see in your replies though that sodium levels should be 3000-5000. Maybe that's what I'm doing wrong. I do use Powerade zero, and the propel waters, also Walgreens has a plain electrolyte water. I also use pickle juice, as well as lemon juice and water, with the pink salt mixed in every morning.

However, my numbers are about just under 3,000. That could be it...idk though, the headaches are bad. I get them everyday. Today has been the worst one yet though. I literally could not function. I had to just lay down for a few hours.

for me I had issues the whole 2 months I was on it, so I had to stop. try upping your sodium, and get enough magnesium and potassium(how much IM not quite sure) but if you dont end up feeling any better then maybe up your carbs a little? some can still be in ketosis on 50g or a little more depending on the person and their activity. if you start feeling better when upping the carbs then that could be the issue.

could be not enough calories as well. up that a little bit too. but I would try one at a time and see how you feel in a few days. but if you still have headaches that are that bad I would try upping the calories a bit and maybe the carbs. usually side effects from keto are gone the first week or so for many. if you still have headaches or are really bad and you have other side effects then see a dr to make sure its nothing else causing them.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    oh another thing are you eating anything you havent before or just recently cut out caffeine?
  • Cpenney87
    Options
    oh another thing are you eating anything you havent before or just recently cut out caffeine?

Thanks for the advice! I didn't have these headaches before starting Keto, I know that! I have went majorly down on carbs. Tracking my macros, and looking at labels on things I used to eat, VS things I was eating before, I've learned that I was very carb dependent! I ate several hundreds of carbs each day! I've been doing Keto for three weeks, and the last two, I've been 20g or under each day. I will do what you said, and kind of try it like process of elimination to see if anything, and what, makes me feel better. I have seen some improvement in my energy over the last few weeks, but today, I felt just generally bad. The bad headache, and very tired. It seems everyday I get headaches since starting Keto. I hope one of those suggestions that you mentioned will help. Oh, I also take a multivitamin everyday, just FYI.

I haven't quit caffeine or anything. My caffeine level is about the same as pre-Keto. Water mostly all day, other than my morning coffee, and tea here and there. Same as before.

The only new I've tried since starting Keto, is the Swerve sweetener, but I very seldom have used it.

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

It probably is electrolytes. 3000-5000mg 0f sodium is the starting point. Many keto'ers find they need more than that. Keep in mind that there is 2300 mg of sodium in a teaspoon of salt so you need at least 2 teaspoons each day. Since it has beena few weeks, you might also be low in potassium and magnesium now. You may want to supplement them for a while too.

I know it seems like a lot of salt. I had a hard time believing it was the salt at first and had headaches for a few weeks. Eventually I started getting cramps too so I finally started eating 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of salt with water in the morning. It really helped me.

Good luck.
  • Athena98501
    Options

yeah its recommended to eat 3500-5000 mg of sodium and to get enough potassium and magnesium while doing keto as well. she also said she is drinking electrolyte water and so on. no she didnt say how much, but for many people if a keto headache or keto flu lasts that long it could be a number of things. but powerade zero like I said still isnt going to do much(im not the one saying it would help)

for me I tried keto over a year ago and even with electrolyte drinks and upping sodium,magnesium and so on I was still sick and had no energy and lethargic. for me keto was not sustainable as it made me so sick I was contemplating going to the hospital . I decided to not eat that way and started feeling better in a few days but took awhile to get back to feeling normal again. But for me I found out later on that my body cant handle high amounts of fats(due to a genetic cholesterol issue) and low amounts of carbs.

you dont need to add "especially" salty foods to keto you just need to get enough of the right micronutrients to prevent the keto flu/electrolyte imbalances. Like I said some people can do keto with no issues and others cannot do keto.

She included terrific sources of potassium and magnesium into her diet, and isn't suffering any of the symptoms of deficiencies of either as a result. Inadequate sodium consumption is an extremely common cause of a headache, if it is related to ketosis.

Your experience with ketosis is very interesting, thank you for describing it. Hers is very different from yours, however, as she said that she's doing great apart from the headaches. I would never say that everyone should eat keto. Whether or not it's right for them is something that everyone should decide for themselves. She obviously feels positively about it, and requested recommendations for resolving one issue.

@Cpenney87: One other possibility I should mention is minor dehydration, as a headache is often the first symptom. I don't know your intake, but the need for water increases with ketosis, so it certainly is something to consider.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

She included terrific sources of potassium and magnesium into her diet, and isn't suffering any of the symptoms of deficiencies of either as a result. Inadequate sodium consumption is an extremely common cause of a headache, if it is related to ketosis.

Your experience with ketosis is very interesting, thank you for describing it. Hers is very different from yours, however, as she said that she's doing great apart from the headaches. I would never say that everyone should eat keto. Whether or not it's right for them is something that everyone should decide for themselves. She obviously feels positively about it, and requested recommendations for resolving one issue.

@Cpenney87: One other possibility I should mention is minor dehydration, as a headache is often the first symptom. I don't know your intake, but the need for water increases with ketosis, so it certainly is something to consider.

oh Im not saying others should not try or do keto as it works well for many and thats great. but as for her having headaches for that long ,yes it could be possible due to low sodium or being dehydrated, never said that was not an issue. but usually with people eating keto ,keto flu or side effects usually subside after a week or so. especially if she is having really bad headaches. she was given some good advice to try and see if it improves. so lets let her figure out if its one of a combo of those things.
  • lady_bug_jd
    lady_bug_jd Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I had terrible headaches the first few weeks as well and even though I read that you need a ton of salt on a keto diet I was stubborn and didn't start listening until I was a few weeks in and suffered needlessly. You lose a lot of sodium on this diet and you need to do more than just salt your food. Pickles and pickle juice are a good source and I recommend picking up some powdered chicken broth and have one or two of those per day with added salt. I've read that some people need more than 5000mg per day. Focus on the sodium, the potassium and magnesium will likely be fine once you correct the sodium.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    I just wanted to update everyone, that the headaches are improving! Thanks for all the advice!

good to hear. have you figured out what was maybe causing them?
  • chic8679
    chic8679 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Did anyone consider possible die off of candida? This can sometimes happen switching to a low carb diet like keto. Sometimes supplementing with vitamin C or increasing foods with vitamin C can help. Or slightly increasing vegetable intake. Just another possibility....keep up your hard work!
  • Cpenney87
    Options
    I eat a lot of spinach, salad greens, tomatoes, avocados etc. so hopefully I'm getting good Vitamin C. I also take a multivitamin if that helps. I'm not sure though.
    I think it may have been sodium? I started cooking with pink salt a lot. I'm not sure exactly what was causing it, but I'm feeling a lot better.