Cross country questions?

Options
So I just have a few questions about high school cross country. First, how many miles on average does a cross country team run? And about what speed is considered an ok speed? Secondly, I would like to hear your cross country stories, becuase I’m debating on whether I would like to join my high schools cross country team.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You have to be 18 to be on MFP
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    These are good questions to ask the team coach!
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    Perhaps your track coach would be a better and more appropriate source for the answers to your questions...
  • Vladimirnapkin
    Vladimirnapkin Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Check out letsrun.com for this kind of question. You will get 50% solid advice and 50% abuse.
  • maryann9wood
    maryann9wood Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    High school XC is August - November. Are you thinking about next year? Start with winter indoor track - much lower mileage, and in most schools the practices are actually outdoors (meets are indoor).
  • mmabry72
    mmabry72 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Season is all but over now. But check with the coach for next season. Generally depending on the program and time of season you could be running 20 to 50+ miles per week.
    Cross runners run all year as well. Its not one of those sports where you only train during season.
    Start now, run a mile, run 2. Just run. Don't worry about time. Time varies. Run what you can.

Good luck.
  • denversillygoose
    denversillygoose Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    The season is about over, but it's a great time to go ahead and train to be ready for next fall. Get with your coach to talk about specifics. My daughter just had her first season, and she really wished she had trained more in advance.

Also, you should try a more age specific fitness site. You're talking to a bunch of crazy, middle aged weirdos here.
  • mmabry72
    Options
    The season is about over, but it's a great time to go ahead and train to be ready for next fall. Get with your coach to talk about specifics. My daughter just had her first season, and she really wished she had trained more in advance.

Also, you should try a more age specific fitness site. You're talking to a bunch of crazy, middle aged weirdos here.

Too true ;)
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I think most races are 5 K for highschool, 10 k for college. 10 min miles will be the back of the pack (so 30 min for a 5 k). The top male runners will be somewhere crazy like 17 min for a 5 k, top females are probably around 23 min.
  • mmabry72
    edited October 2017
    Options
    High school runs a 3 mile course for men and women.

A competitive time for men is sub 17 minutes. The top guy in our conference runs 14:20's!
    A competitive time for women is sub 19 minutes. The top gal in our conference runs 17:40's!