Yeast extract

2»

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    ladyreva78 wrote: »
    I'm actually considering adding some yeast to my morning yogurt to improve my folate intake somewhat. I rarely hit the recommended 300µg and just 5g would cover 50% of that and add a nice little dose of vitamin B12 (the recommended intake is around 3µg, so those 5g of yeast would cover 1/3).

Now the question is... will I actually like the taste of it :tongue:

100% would not recommend putting in yoghurt. It's deeply deeply cheek suckingly savoury. I can't even imagine trying to eat it with yoghurt.

It might be ok with natural yoghurt as a dip for vegies?

I'm sitting here trying to imagine it in a creamy-ish base and nope. Not doing it for me. Still sounds terrible.

I'm thinking nutritional Yeast... The yellow, slightly cheesy stuff. Are we talking about different things?

Very different things!!

You mean actual Yeast? :o Who eats that? *vomit*
  • Zinka61
    Zinka61 Posts: 523 Member
    Marmite on bananas--Yum!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited October 2017
    ladyreva78 wrote: »
    I'm actually considering adding some yeast to my morning yogurt to improve my folate intake somewhat. I rarely hit the recommended 300µg and just 5g would cover 50% of that and add a nice little dose of vitamin B12 (the recommended intake is around 3µg, so those 5g of yeast would cover 1/3).

Now the question is... will I actually like the taste of it :tongue:

100% would not recommend putting in yoghurt. It's deeply deeply cheek suckingly savoury. I can't even imagine trying to eat it with yoghurt.

It might be ok with natural yoghurt as a dip for vegies?

I'm sitting here trying to imagine it in a creamy-ish base and nope. Not doing it for me. Still sounds terrible.

I'm thinking nutritional Yeast... The yellow, slightly cheesy stuff. Are we talking about different things?

Very different things!!

You mean actual Yeast? :o Who eats that? *vomit*

You should try it in breading! Delicious!

Edit: oh you aren't talking nutritional yeast. Never mind then. That's the only edible yeast I know.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    I suspect I might be getting lost in translation here...

The yeast I thinking about is sold as a supplement around here. The only translation I found was just 'yeast'. But it's not the kind you use for baking (if that makes sense).
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,956 Member
    Yeast extract (Vegemite, Marmite etc) are very different. Dark brown paste, strongly savoury flavoured, very salty. Nothing like actual yeast.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    We're talking about yeast extract, totally different thing. It is a thick, brown, strongly flavoured thing you get in a jar and use pretty sparingly, usually as a topping on bread products or to add that umami flavour to dishes.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,956 Member
    It's like... yeast poo. In a good way.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Ah... translation problem indeed.

Thanks for the explanation :smile:
  • JoLightensUp
    JoLightensUp Posts: 140 Member

Harsh, but fair. :p
    Actually, I can't imagine I would have started eating Vegemite if I had been introduced to it as an adult. It just looks so unappetising... I don't know how they convinced people to buy the first jars of it really!
  • delaclos99
    delaclos99 Posts: 53 Member
    Toast spread with a thick layer of Marmite, topped with baked beans and strong cheddar, is one of the finest comfort foods going.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member

Lovely. I won't look at Vegemite the same again (which I love - I spread it so thick people think I'm eating nutella) :D
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Investigative journalists in New York found numerous merchants, brands, and supplements on store shelves for which the label did not match the DNA of the material inside the bottle.

You can read the label. You can even believe the label. You're on your own.

http://www.umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/supplement/red-yeast-rice

Let's assume the OP is talking about pharmaceutical-grade yeast extract, not red yeast rice, which is a different thing... :+1:

uYqxIkk.png