Intermittent dieting

Options
2»

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    I would find it difficult, but that doesn't mean you will, and it's an interesting concept. Let us know how you like it. I did eat at around maintenance once a week.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    HelenWater wrote: »
    It’s been a while, but I’m trying the MATADOR study protocol of alternating two weeks at 67% of maintenance and two weeks at maintenance. My macros will be different from the study macros as I have other considerations besides weight loss.

It's been 2 years. I'm curious what happened the first time? Did you try this approach? How was it and did it allow you to maintain long term success?
  • HelenWater
    HelenWater Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I started losing weight without trying too much for about a year, but my weight started creeping up again in the past year. That’s why I’m addressing it now. I suppose I won’t really know if it works for quite some time.
  • HelenWater
    HelenWater Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    A few years ago I lost 30kg in a year by eating less and exercising more. Then 25kg came back. I think it will be easier to restrict food intake half of the time, and I will get to eat at maintenance half of the time.

I would really like to hear about anyone’s experience with this protocol.
  • janinemharris
    janinemharris Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in this approach. I lost weight cutting consistently then moved countries and it was easy to eat too much in the new place. So now that has happened to me again and I have tried harder to only eat at maintenance for the last four weeks - so at least I haven't put on weight back on as last time. I think this approach will allow me less lost progress in those weeks where I am stressed as my workload changes a lot week to week. As one commenter says, practising eating at maintenance is also an interesting idea as it's very easy to say, I'm not dieting anymore and then eat way above maintenance and sabotage all your hard work!! This way it's not just dieting time that makes you cautious of what goes in; it's all the time, in preparation for after the weight is lost. I think it seems sensible (and directly searched intermittent dieting) so I will try this too, I think. :)