Cinnamon in the morning?

Options
2»

Replies

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    When I'm in a phase where I'm drinking coffee, I do put some in the grounds in the bottom of my French Press for brewing, but that's for flavor. I wouldn't put any in my cup or think of it as a source of nutrients.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I like a teaspoon in with my protein shakes—yummy!
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Although cassia cinnamon may slightly help control blood sugar the coumarin in it can lead to liver damage. To take enough cinnamon to affect blood sugar much you would be risking your liver. It can also affect medicines and blood clotting. Different cinnamons have different levels of ability to affect blood sugar and different amounts of coumadin. Only cassia cinnamon has been tested for the blood sugar effect. Cassia cinnamon from different countries has vastly different amounts of coumadin. This has concerned European countries enough that they have established limits on how much cinnamon can be included in baked goods, etc.

Consuming dry, powdered cinnamon without mixing it in something wet can result in inhaling cinnamon dust causing pneumonia, asthma attacks, etc. When there was a fad for teenagers to challenge others to consume a sponful of cinnamon dry calls to poison centers increased as did hospitalizations from cinnamon inhalation and allergic reactions.

I love cinnamon but only use it in culinary amounts.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    This is 100g of cinnamon... No thank you please :worried:

7i0egum0d8df.jpg
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    Although cassia cinnamon may slightly help control blood sugar the coumarin in it can lead to liver damage. To take enough cinnamon to affect blood sugar much you would be risking your liver. It can also affect medicines and blood clotting. Different cinnamons have different levels of ability to affect blood sugar and different amounts of coumadin. Only cassia cinnamon has been tested for the blood sugar effect. Cassia cinnamon from different countries has vastly different amounts of coumadin. This has concerned European countries enough that they have established limits on how much cinnamon can be included in baked goods, etc.

Consuming dry, powdered cinnamon without mixing it in something wet can result in inhaling cinnamon dust causing pneumonia, asthma attacks, etc. When there was a fad for teenagers to challenge others to consume a sponful of cinnamon dry calls to poison centers increased as did hospitalizations from cinnamon inhalation and allergic reactions.

I love cinnamon but only use it in culinary amounts.

I read that coumarin is not water soluble, so adding cinnamon along with coffee if you are pouring water through a filter is a way of enjoying it safely (source: https://www.peoplespharmacy.com/2013/12/30/cinnamon-offers-health-benefits-but-also-carries-serious-risks/)
  • LiveLoveFitFab
    LiveLoveFitFab Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I put about a teaspoon of it in my plain greek yogurt at night. That's a whole 200 grams of yogurt, not just a little pot. Along with an apple, some vanilla and some high protein granola.
    I don't know if I could drink that much of it, but eating a full teaspoon mixed in yogurt is just yum.

Supposedly it's good for me, but I don't log it. Maybe I should.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    I don't like anything in my coffee, but there is a traditional cinnamon drink made here usually served when it's cold or after a woman gives birth. It's basically cinnamon tea (water and cinnamon sticks), simmered on low heat with sugar for 30 or so minutes and then each cup is topped with crushed walnuts (they just float on top). It's very aromatic and has a sharp distinctive and warming taste. You should try it sometime when it's cold and you have enough calories, but it's not for the faint of heart - VERY cinnamony.

cinnmaon-tea-with-walnut-2-edited-.jpg

That looks so good! Hope I can remember to try it this winter.
  • kaye4health
    kaye4health Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I take a cinnamon capsule daily to help lower my blood sugar. Are you wanting to add it to your coffee for flavor or for cinnamon benefits? If for benefits, you can find it in capsules in the vitamin section of your local store.
  • ISweat4This
    ISweat4This Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I sprinkle a little bit of cinnamon in black coffee to add flavor. A tsp is too much.
  • MsMaeFlowers
    MsMaeFlowers Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I always add a small sprinkle for flavour. Don't think it's enough to do anything else, but it sure tastes good. :)
  • sarasmiles124
    sarasmiles124 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I use maple syrup in my coffee.....just a small amount.