People with anxiety disorders?

Options
I've been told like 150 times that stress causes weight gain, and I believe it. So now my question is what helped you. I haven't gotten to a doctor yet. So I was wondering if any of you have anything besides medication that helps?

Replies

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Working out and meditation. I have a score of 29 on the Yale–Brown Obsessive Compulsive Scale. I also have GAD.

;)
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I'm currently on meds to control my anxiety as nothing else was working (guess who can now leave the house? this gal!)

Anxiety actually caused me to lose weight due to vomiting and nausea, but the meds have removed that almost completely. I would say if anxiety is having a large impact on your day to day life, medication may be the way to go. I tried therapy, yoga, etc, but nothing worked until I got onto the right medication.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Working out is the best thing for stress. It also happens to help you lose weight and feel good about yourself and get fit. Get your sweat on, on the regular, and your stress will be much more manageable.
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    I'm currently on meds to control my anxiety as nothing else was working (guess who can now leave the house? this gal!)

Anxiety actually caused me to lose weight due to vomiting and nausea, but the meds have removed that almost completely. I would say if anxiety is having a large impact on your day to day life, medication may be the way to go. I tried therapy, yoga, etc, but nothing worked until I got onto the right medication.

Also this. Took me a while to find one that wouldn't cause rebound anxiety... But, yes, medication. ;)
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Working out is the best thing for stress. It also happens to help you lose weight and feel good about yourself and get fit. Get your sweat on, on the regular, and your stress will be much more manageable.

Anxiety is wholly different than stress.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Running has done a lot of good for my anxiety levels.
  • jhloves2knit
    jhloves2knit Posts: 268 Member
    Options

Also this. Took me a while to find one that wouldn't cause rebound anxiety... But, yes, medication. ;)
  • Mom2ATM
    Mom2ATM Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    yeah meds here too :/ not thrilled about it though, im bipolar II and suffer from anxiety and depression im on low dose of abilify and 20 of Lexapro, I was actually on celexa at first but that threw me into the depression and I became worried id hurt myself so I admitted myself for 5 days they kept me and I do find that exercise calms me,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,actually a glass of wine does a better job for me lol
  • jhloves2knit
    jhloves2knit Posts: 268 Member
    Options

What meds work for anxiety?
  • mommy3457
    mommy3457 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Am I the odd one out? Working out at too high of an intensity gives me anxiety. I can't think about "working out" or I get major anxiety. I just walk a lot and play sports. I don't think about exercising while doing them.
  • vienna_h
    vienna_h Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Medication is NOT for anyone.

I had GAD and panic disorder, but I feel that I am cured of panic disorder and only occasionally get bouts of GAD, which are much more mild now than it used to be.

I find the CBT (cognitive-behaviourial therapy) was the best treatment for me. Without the therapy, you don't learn how to actually understand and control your anxiety.

Meditation and acupuncture have been very helpful as well. An acupuncture session does about the same to me as a Xanax (but not as accessible). When I feel like I can't concentrate on something or I feel "stuck", I go for a jog, or I do a dance workout. Feeling in tune with my body and being active melts the stress away!!!

Medication has it's place. Personally, I tried 3 types of SSRIs and they didn't work for me, they gave me panic attacks and shakes, I felt like I needed to crawl out of my own body to get away from myself, it was insane. Benzodiazepamines work better for me to get over those moments when I need something to just take the edge off so I can gather myself and control my anxiety. I say I take a total of ten pills per year. What I've learned from CBT takes care of the rest. Medication is a last resort. If you don't do the therapy, you'll never truly progress, you'll be dependent forever. Even if you read a CBT workbook instead of face-to-face therapy, it'll only cost you a few dollars, and it could change your life.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options

I'm on citalopram, mirtazapine and quetiapine and it's doing pretty well.
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Running. Sometimes it's the only thing that kicks it out. I think the repetitive movement, the forced rhythmic breathing, and environment I run in help bring down the feeling that extreme anxiety gives me.
  • rainbowbow
    Options

If its mixed with depression they will prescribe ssri, the might suggest buspbarone, before trying Benzodiazepines. Benzos are the only thing that work for me as I have a manic switch.

Benzos are Xanax (alprazolam), Klonopin (clonazepam), Ativan, Valium, etc.

I take clonazepam.
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    Medication is NOT for anyone.

I had GAD and panic disorder, but I feel that I am cured of panic disorder and only occasionally get bouts of GAD, which are much more mild now than it used to be.

I find the CBT (cognitive-behaviourial therapy) was the best treatment for me. Without the therapy, you don't learn how to actually understand and control your anxiety.

Meditation and acupuncture have been very helpful as well. An acupuncture session does about the same to me as a Xanax (but not as accessible). When I feel like I can't concentrate on something or I feel "stuck", I go for a jog, or I do a dance workout. Feeling in tune with my body and being active melts the stress away!!!

Medication has it's place. Personally, I tried 3 types of SSRIs and they didn't work for me, they gave me panic attacks and shakes, I felt like I needed to crawl out of my own body to get away from myself, it was insane. Benzodiazepamines work better for me to get over those moments when I need something to just take the edge off so I can gather myself and control my anxiety. I say I take a total of ten pills per year. What I've learned from CBT takes care of the rest. Medication is a last resort. If you don't do the therapy, you'll never truly progress, you'll be dependent forever. Even if you read a CBT workbook instead of face-to-face therapy, it'll only cost you a few dollars, and it could change your life.

I have found DBT to also be affective. ;). :heart:
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Definitely exercise. Whenever I do any exercising....doesn't even have to be a hard workout.....I feel more energized and in a better place emotionally. If I sit around too much, I get anxious and that starts the snowball effect.
  • rachel4304
    rachel4304 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    For me, increasing my dietary fat helped tremendously -- my macros were out of whack (to carby not enough healthy fats.) On days when I'm going to be in a sure-fire panic attack situation, I take a klonopin. I don't want a maintenance drug if I don't have to.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options

I was on citalopram but it was affecting my libido so my doctor took me off it and put me on Welbutrin. However, that doesn't seem to be working as well and I may have to try something else.
  • DavidC1857
    DavidC1857 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Am I the odd one out? Working out at too high of an intensity gives me anxiety. I can't think about "working out" or I get major anxiety. I just walk a lot and play sports. I don't think about exercising while doing them.

No, you're not the only one. Increased heart rate, sweating, etc. are similar to a panic attack to me. I had a good one while out walking and didn't walk again for a long time. I didn't want to have another attack away from home. Eventually I started with 10 minutes and worked my way back up. I am pretty good at differentiating now. It just took slow exposure. Very slow.
  • BigDnSW
    BigDnSW Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    If you can, see a qualified health professional who will be able to determine your stress levels, stressors, triggers, and a healthy plan of diet, exercise, and possibly meds. There is a wide variety of causes and other factors with anxiety/stress/panic disorders and management. It would be good to know for you what your "condition" is and at what level. "It" is a form of pain that can be very debilitating if not treated. But also, very high success rate when treated properly.

You are unique. What will work for one person may make things worse for you.

I wish you health and wellness.