Crossing over from ww......nervous!

Options
2»

Replies

• cgirly007
    cgirly007 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I did WW a few years ago, lost weight but have gained it all back. I like MFP because it counts fruit (there is no way a banana could be 0 points!) and to me the support is better. Also, I feel as if this site encourages exercise where as the meetings I used to go to did not. I think you will love it here. Im 2 weeks in and I do :-)
  • trackmyday1973
    trackmyday1973 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I joined WW a million times (and when I say a million.... I am not exaggerating). I find that WW is not suitable for lifetime. I cannot see myself walking around with a calculator figuring out points and tracking 4 things for everything I buy. I love MFP. Yes, it's free. However, it's something I can do for the rest of my life. Losing weight and keeping it off is something that must be worked (tracked) for the rest of my life. This is why I chose MFP. Counting calories is the easiest way to lose weight. I can go to the grocery store and look at the calories and determine if it is worth it.

IMHO I think WW is flawed. I use to like the old WW points system. I lost a lot of weight. Points plus, I feel, can use some tweeking. By counting calories I feel I am being more accountable to myself in what I am consuming throughout the day.

I didn't learn much from the meetings. Everything that was talked about was no news to me. I understand people enjoy going to the meetings for the accountability. However, I feel....you have to be accountable yourself for the remaining 6 days and 23 hours. A one hour WW meeting won't do much. I didn't like their preaching to eat healthy foods....while advertising in the meetings how the bars and chips and candy is on sale at the back.

I just feel that no matter what plan you choose, at the end of the day, you need to be accountable to yourself.

Today is my third day back on MFP. So far I have made a lot of new friends. If I feel bored, lonely (trigger reasons to eat for me) I log onto MFP and read what the community has to say. These forums are very motivational, and filled with many wonderful people who all share similar experiences, and struggles. In the end we are trying to achieve the same goal - weight loss (healthier lives).

For anyone that wishes to add me, feel free too :)

Have a great day everyone :)

Happy Calorie Counting:)
  • kmruse
    kmruse Posts: 19
    Options
    Welcome to MFP. I have returned after a bad year last year and am just starting to get serious about weight loss again. I am hopin to lose the 2lbs I have put bacjk on and another into the bargain. Please feel free to add me as a friend and I will encourage you as much as I can. Always happy to help others and it costs nothing but a bit of time. Well done on making that first step and welcome to the new you.... :-)
  • caitlinjm74
    caitlinjm74 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I loved WW initially and managed to lose 2st on it. Then I moved away to Germany and put everything back on plus extra (yummy food and a foot injury which stopped me from running). I also agree with the previous posters that the '0 point' foods are a bit misleading - the first time I logged a banana I was stunned to see it was over 100 calories! :P But I find MFP a better community and counting calories is definitely better than counting points. Good luck! :)
  • pinkbananashoes
    Options
    Hi! I lost weight with WW about 8 years ago and managed to keep it off, then last year moved to Slimming World and lost almost a stone but it wasn't sustainable. I briefly went back to WW this year but was totally sick of having to count points and not knowing how much anything was.. it just didn't feel realistic anymore. A friend of mine lost 3st with MFP and so I decided to get serious and track properly and now I'm totally hooked! I can't believe I used to pay so much money when this is a totally free resource and everyone is so friendly and helpful. Feel free to add me if you like! The database is amazing and I have all the info I need in my pocket. It feels sustainable and the nutritional info is amazing!
    Good luck on your journey! Harri x
  • datzme57
    datzme57 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I, too, switched from WW to MFP. Many years ago I was successful with WW, but this new 360 diet, they had me on 58pts a day! I could not eat that much and I was yo-yoing with only an 8 pound spread. I came to realize that those 0 points actually had calories and I was probably eating way more than I should even though I stayed under points by a large margin. I am morbidly obese but am really determined to be successful this time. I've been consistent with logging in for 1 month now, and get weighed in a few weeks (have to go to doctors for stronger scale). Can't wait until I can weigh myself at home. My office is very supportive as well as my friends. For some reason counting calories finally made sense after all these years!!!! I don't need points or special meals, just a level head and a good source of information to make wise decisions and be able to track my daily intake along with salt, sugar and fat (the 3 basic food groups!). MFP is a great tool and its mobile app actually works.
  • UncleBilly10
    Options
    Hi. I understand the nerves. I have checked out ww in the past. However, I have found that it is so easy to keep track of my progress- both in food, specific categories, and excersize. I wish you the best in your journey. I've lost just over 20 pounds, with more to go. With the phone app, too, I think you will be pleased with this site.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Hello all!

How we all doing?!

I''ve lost 50lbs mostly with ww and exercising, but have plateaued the last year so am changing things up. I am starting Insanity tomorrow (for the second time) and read that MFP is a great tool to help track food. But i'm nervous for some reason that cancelling my ww subscription even though i'm exciting - what are people's experience here on mfp? Any opinions on changing over from ww?

Thanks so much! :smile:

MFP and WW are essentially the same thing. Except MFP is free and you cuont calories instead of points. I can't say counting calories instead of points will fix a plateau, though, if you eat the same foods.
  • angeeishere
    angeeishere Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I've been on ww before and find MFP far better for me. I like the fact that it's real calories for foods and not points and there's no pressures to purchase specific products. Please feel free to friend me if you'd like, I log every day and have been doing so for about a year and half. This is the best so far that I've come across, people here are wonderful.
  • sdpeklo
    sdpeklo Posts: 82
    Options
    I am a lifetime member of WW as well. I've maintained for almost 6 years. Since then, I have become a long distance runner but still had a WW mentality. Still tracked points, all that. That way of thinking and eating does not really work for fueling 20 mile long runs! I have started using MFP to track calories and have a better idea how much more to eat, especially when my mileage is high. I was nervous at first too, but its working well. I'm feeling better, eating more appropriate amounts of food and slowly getting to a leaner racing weight. Be honest with your tracking and what your goals are and it will work out just fine.

^^^^^ This. .....I am not a lifetime member....I did lose 10 lbs with WW in a month....but bc I run distance as well ...WW was just too difficult and wasn't really set for endurance training or racing. This is so much better...and free....and you will find just as much if not more support on here. : ) Welcome.
  • Shananigans_
    Shananigans_ Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    i used WW in the past but have had way more success with MFP. I love the social aspect and that it's free. Love it.
  • kendragetshealthy
    Options
    You're obviously not alone! I cancelled my WW membership this past week after losing 45 pounds. I also have a Jawbone UP band and LOVE how it integrates with My Fitness Pal-- you don't have to guess on your activity points. It uploads the calories you burn for you.

And MFP is free.

And you don't have to go to those meetings-- I loved them at first, but realized they were very cliquish and I didn't fit in.

And a lot of my friends in the real world are doing MFP so it is much more supportive, in my opinion. There are a lot of groups on facebook that use MFP too so it is nice to be able to support each other in several forums.

Since you've been on WW you know what you need to do. This is just another way of doing it. Good luck!

Oh- PS- the food database is much bigger here! :)