Need help with very low impact cardio

Options
I have Psoriatic Arthritis and Degenerative Disc Disease with a weakness on my left side that limits my exercise choices. I attend aquatic aerobic classes usually 3 times a week and use a stationary bike for 30 minutes min. and on good days maybe up to 60 minutes. I also use resistance bands for muscle strengthening. My problem is, I get bored and I try to do walk aerobics or low impact aerobics at home on days that I don't go to the YMCA, but even the low impact can cause pain,
I've lost 23 pounds and feel so much better and am determined to not sit around inactive, which I did for a year, because of my conditions. So, is there anyone else working out through limitations? Or does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get a different type of cardio in?
Thanks in advance!

138036940.png

Replies

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    Have you tried any of the Leslie Sansome videos? That is low impact, basically walking mixed with high knees, side steps and low kicks, plus a little light weight arm exercise. She has the equivalent of 1 mile, 2 mile, 3, and 4 mile videos that I know about, and undoubtedly many others.
  • amyf2000
    amyf2000 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Ice skating!
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    I have Psoriatic Arthritis and Degenerative Disc Disease with a weakness on my left side that limits my exercise choices. I attend aquatic aerobic classes usually 3 times a week and use a stationary bike for 30 minutes min. and on good days maybe up to 60 minutes. I also use resistance bands for muscle strengthening. My problem is, I get bored and I try to do walk aerobics or low impact aerobics at home on days that I don't go to the YMCA, but even the low impact can cause pain,
    I've lost 23 pounds and feel so much better and am determined to not sit around inactive, which I did for a year, because of my conditions. So, is there anyone else working out through limitations? Or does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get a different type of cardio in?
    Thanks in advance!

138036940.png

If you can handle a stationary bike, why not a real bike ride once in a while? Or maybe just swimming for the fun of it?
  • str82nichelle
    str82nichelle Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    spiriteagle99, I do use Leslie's videos for my walk aerobics and find that if I don't do the kicking out moves or very high knee lifts I can manage with very little pain. Thanks for the response!

amyf2000 , I did ice skate in my teens, but fear it now due to being a fall risk on my own two feet :D . Thanks for the suggestion!

DX2JX2, good idea seeing that I use to ride motorcycles, it may be fun to be back on two wheels. Thanks!
  • tess5036
    tess5036 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    If you are getting bored, do you have headphones to listen to music, audio books or radio. I know it's not exercise, but it might help make your hose you do less boring if it's something you are not already doing.
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Would swimming be any good?

Or a snall dog - so you have to walk twice a day whatever, but there is something to take your attention if it is being painful?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    You might look into rebounders (mini-trampolines). Skip the cheap store models, as those are so stiff the are like jumping on the floor. I have a JumpSport (very forgiving) and really like it.

Tess5036 has a good idea. Because Leslie Sansone videos are simple, you can use your own music. I use those puzzle mats for Leslie videos (and sometimes my MP3 player).
  • str82nichelle
    Options
    tess5036, yes I actually have created a playlist with each song timed for when I need extra motivation, but I just found some indoor biking trail scenery videos on youtube that might work. Thanks

gentlygently, I actually want a little companion and that would make me hit the pavement. And yes you're right--small ;) . Thanks
  • str82nichelle
    Options
    TeaBea, I was thinking about the mats today when I did the 2 mile video, but I didn't think about the mini-trampoline. That would take a lot of the impact off my hips. Thanks I am going to look into those.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Have you tried yoga or Pilates? I have the PiYo DVD set right now and almost every workout is low to no impact. Swimming laps is also great if you have access to a lap pool.
  • tomaattikastike
    tomaattikastike Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I do low-impact workouts at home, mostly because I do them in the morning (and I like my neighbours), but also because my running already is high-impact. I like the free fitnessblender exercise videos, and one of the search filters is "low impact": fitnessblender.com
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Must you do cardio for a reason?

While it may increase what you burn daily, which means increasing your eating level, and that may be easier to adhere to...

Those resistance bands will transform your whole body more, and make sure there is something there to see when the fat loss is occurring - which is through the diet.

You'll likely reach the point that for the resistance bands to still be difficult for like 8-12 reps and 3-5 sets, you'll have to move up to something more intense because of getting stronger.
    And probably looking like it too!

If you just must be able to eat more by doing some cardio, do an intense 15 min on the recumbent bike or whatever is at the gym. After you do that strength training.
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    It is a bit silly, but when you are walking, have you tried any apps like 'zombies, run!' ?

It is an app where it is a scenario of you escaping zombies as you walk. Silly, but can be fun.

Or listen to books on tape where you can only listen to th book when you walk, so it is motivating to move more just to find out what happens. :-)