Crockpot confusion!

Options
I’m making a crockpot meal tonight & I’m struggling with how to properly track it! In the recipe builder I put in 4 servings because I am cooking 4 chicken breasts in 2 cans of cream of chicken soup and cream of broccoli! The only problem is I’m not eating that amount of soup! I had to put in 4 serving sizes since that’s what I’m cooking it in! I know that some of the chicken absorbs the soup but definitely not 4 servings sizes worth! How should I track this for proper calories?

Thanks! ♥️

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Log half the soup if you'll just be pouring it away.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    So half of the soup will be thrown out? Yeah, just count then chicken and then you'll just have to estimate how much soup you are eating (a quarter can?). If all of the soup was being eaten you'd have to count a half can of soup per serving.
  • dwilliamca
    dwilliamca Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time with recipe builder sometimes since it measures in servings and I am cooking for a large family. I've had to weigh the whole meal, then try to decide how to divide it for 6 of us and usually leftovers. I wish it would give you the option of putting in weights and giving the serving size in weight. Also, I've learned to really look at what it comes up with. It really gets confused on dry portions (which most pastas use) and cooked amounts and throws the numbers way off.
  • sugarstrawberries
    sugarstrawberries Posts: 140 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Take the crock out of the heater. Measure how much the crock itself weighs in grams. As you put in each ingredient, measure its weight in grams as well. Write all this down to keep track. Once the meal is cooked, weigh the entire thing in grams and subtract the weight of the crock. This is the weight of your whole meal. Divide into an easily divisible number or as close as you can get to figure out serving sizes. Then you know exactly how much a serving makes, and you can portion accordingly. I usually do it by 5 or 10 and round up. You can also forget about the crock and instead dump the whole meal into whatever you're keeping leftovers in and tally it up that way.
  • jvcjim
    jvcjim Posts: 812 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    for pasta a pretty good rule of thumb is that cooked pasta weighs about 2.1 times the weight of the uncooked.

in the recipe builder i enter everything in grams then divide the total weight by the number of portions and in the title i enter how many grams a portion is... so that when i eat i weigh my food and know how much of a portion it is. it seems to work for me, YMMV.

i.e. 15 Bean & Ham Soup (320g/ serving), 2.5 serving(s)
  • sugarstrawberries
    sugarstrawberries Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    jvcjim wrote: »
    for pasta a pretty good rule of thumb is that cooked pasta weighs about 2.1 times the weight of the uncooked.

in the recipe builder i enter everything in grams then divide the total weight by the number of portions and in the title i enter how many grams a portion is... so that when i eat i weigh my food and know how much of a portion it is. it seems to work for me, YMMV.

i.e. 15 Bean & Ham Soup (320g/ serving), 2.5 serving(s)

Exactly what I do, including the serving size in the recipe name.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    Not in reference to the original question, but I enter the number of servings in the recipe builder as the total weight of the recipe. So my recipes make 283 servings and I have 11 or 8 or 13 or whatever. That way I do no converting at all. Just weigh out my portion like any other food.