Exercise gives me more calorie allowance.

Options
Is there a way of turning this off ? When I exercise I’d rather burn them calories off. At the minute the app increases your calorie allowance when you exercise.

Replies

• aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    You don't HAVE to eat your exercise calories back. It's good to track it, though.
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Select Sedentary for your activity?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Lean59man wrote: »
    Select Sedentary for your activity?

Even if you choose "Sedentary" for your activity level, you'll get extra calories when you log your exercise.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Is there a way of turning this off ? When I exercise I’d rather burn them calories off. At the minute the app increases your calorie allowance when you exercise.

Of course it adds calories, because MFP gave you a deficit with zero exercise factored in.

If you are using a calculator with exercise factored in (TDEE - total daily energy expenditure) - then skip logging exercise or over ride the calorie burns to 1.

If you want fast as possible weight loss.....you might reconsider. MFP with added exercise calories keeps your deficit in check. Too large deficits make it harder for your body to support existing lean muscle mass (obese people can usually get by). Healthy weight loss helps you lower your body fat %, not just the number on the scale.
  • zindroth
    zindroth Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Yes you can turn it off, but only if you have the premium version.
  • joemac1988
    joemac1988 Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    zindroth wrote: »

I don't think that's correct, but I'm not sure because I do have Premium

MY HOME TAB > GOALS > ADJUST MY DAILY CALORIE GOAL > OFF
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    MFP intends you to eat back your exercise calories. Your calorie deficit is built into MFP's target number of daily calories for you. Not factoring exercise calories into your daily calorie goal means you may be eating too few calories to fuel your activity properly.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    joemac1988 wrote: »
    zindroth wrote: »

I don't think that's correct, but I'm not sure because I do have Premium

MY HOME TAB > GOALS > ADJUST MY DAILY CALORIE GOAL > OFF

What you're seeing is a premium feature.
  • joemac1988
    joemac1988 Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    MFP intends you to eat back your exercise calories. Your calorie deficit is built into MFP's target number of daily calories for you. Not factoring exercise calories into your daily calorie goal means you may be eating too few calories to fuel your activity properly.

True, but there's more ways to skin the cat. It's your average over time that matters, not your daily numbers. So, I find it's a lot less of a mental game to know what my average daily burn is and have the same calorie target rather than fluctuate. I workout 7 days a week and eat pretty much the same every day so I hardly think about it. To each his (or her) own.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,439 Member
    Options
    I just manually change the calories burned to 1. But I also eat TDEE, not NEAT.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

True, but there's more ways to skin the cat. It's your average over time that matters, not your daily numbers. So, I find it's a lot less of a mental game to know what my average daily burn is and have the same calorie target rather than fluctuate. I workout 7 days a week and eat pretty much the same every day so I hardly think about it. To each his (or her) own.

Yes - a calculator with exercise included (TDEE....not NEAT like MFP) is great for people who are consistent with exercise. But for people who mean to exercise and then don't, adding the calories up front can be detrimental.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options

I like to average my calories over a ten year period because it means I won't have to think about this until I'm 45. Can you say five year binge?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    Options
    @joemac1988
    The TDEE method includes exercise calories too. An average amount every day, the OP is suggesting excluding exercise completely - not the same thing at all.

OP - if you want a same every day calorie allowance then set your goal manually using the number from a TDEE calculator and don't use the myfitnesspal goal.