Calculating ham divvied up for meal prep wraps

Options
I just made some wraps for the week, I had some ham I diced up and put in the pan for a couple minutes. I cut and measured the ham cold as 550g total I'm using (the ham's nutritional info showed per 55g serving, worked out I figured so I could use 55g/wrap for 10 wraps).

After pan-frying for a few minutes, letting it cool a while on a plate and then starting prep, I wound up with just enough for 6 wraps, measuring each portion at 55g. So my cold 550g had "reduced" to 330g (55g x 6 wraps).

Now how do I calculate this? Do I:
a) Still use 55g as per the nutritional info on label, as initially desired, or
b) Recalculate using the new reduced weight, I'm thinking I got 6 wraps out of an initial 550g, so I calculate each wrap having 88g of ham?

I hope that's clear, sorry if it's not and thanks a lot for any help!

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I would do A. Use the 55g because that'll be the accurate calculation.

I'm just curious why you heated the ham when you're going to refrigerate it again? (I've never had ham that required cooking before using)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    550 grams of cold ham made 6 wraps

Take the calories of cold ham and divide it by 6.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I think B is more accurate. Regardless of cooked vs. raw weight, you divided 10 servings worth into 6 servings. The ham lost water in the cooking process.
  • dwilliamca
    dwilliamca Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    That's quite a reduction. I wonder how much is water and how much fat. If you assume it was all water then 55 grams of meat before and after would be the same. If some were fat it would still be in your favor to count 55 grams. I think I would stick with the label.
  • refugeefromkekistan
    Options

I'm just curious why you heated the ham when you're going to refrigerate it again? (I've never had ham that required cooking before using)

I was cooking yesterday with a friend and I've rarely used ham, so we were dicing bits to taste and we had a pan already going for veggies. I diced some up, put it in the pan to see how it would taste and some browning made it amazing, wasn't a matter of needing to be cooked just gave it that pan-roasted flavor. So I figured it would make the egg and ham wraps today nicer than just diced cold.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Unless it specified "Cooked" weight for the 55g serving stated above the nutritional info, I would use the info for the total original 550g divided by 6 wraps - so 91.7 g of the original ham per wrap. Unless you were left with a large puddle of oil in the pan, the 220g that cooked off would just be water.
  • tess5036
    tess5036 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    When you cook something the weight will change. As already said, unless it says otherwise measure first using the uncooked weight. If you then need to divide it, weigh it after you have cooked it, and divide that weigh by the number of portions to get the cooked portion size. That way you can get the full number of portions you want
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    brownitus wrote: »

I was cooking yesterday with a friend and I've rarely used ham, so we were dicing bits to taste and we had a pan already going for veggies. I diced some up, put it in the pan to see how it would taste and some browning made it amazing, wasn't a matter of needing to be cooked just gave it that pan-roasted flavor. So I figured it would make the egg and ham wraps today nicer than just diced cold.

Ah that makes sense :) Taste is always a benefit!
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    It would be B. Additional cooking, even of precooked meat, will reduced the weight. The nutritional information on the package is for the state it comes in, though. There would be some amount of fat cooking out (unless the meat is fat free), but there's no way to calculate it.
  • refugeefromkekistan
    Options
    Yes the ham was very moist, definitely most was water steaming away, there wasn't too much fat in the pan. I think I will use the 91g/wrap then
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Yeah, there's a lot of water in ham because it's brined as part of the curing process. Most of what cooked out was water, so 550g/6 is the right way to go.