Group fitness class or solo work outs?

Options
girlonthego06
girlonthego06 Posts: 8 Member
edited October 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
I have a gym membership at a facility that only offers group fitness classes. The classes they offer are kickboxing, kettle bell kickboxing, tread and shred (circuits using planks/abs/push ups/v-ups, weights, and treadmills), yoga, and a bootcamp style class (ropes, burpees, box jumps, jump rope, wall balls, etc). It’s a very fun environment and great cardio...but wondering if I should also be adding in weights a few times a week? Or scrap the $60/month cardio classes for a planet fitness membership.

What type of exercise style do you prefer? I haven’t started going regularly so I have not seen results from the cardio classes...

Replies

• ABabilonia
    ABabilonia Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goals I guess. Ultimately, though, you should do something that you find enjoyable and motivate you to workout and in that sense I think that you kind of answer your own question. Can you try the $60/month for one month or two months and see if you truly enjoy it? I know that most gyms set you up for a year contract and then you are stuck with the payments, so make sure that the cardio classes is something you will enjoy.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I'd try em all and see what you like. Kettlebell are a great full body workout and yoga would be a nice compliment. Boot camp sounds fun too.
  • Fitnessmom82
    Fitnessmom82 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I would add some weight training days, if it's possible. I really enjoy my group classes. Sometimes it's nice to be with a group, listen to the music and follow directions. Other days I enjoy being alone. I don't think I'd like doing just one or the other.
  • MilesAddie
    MilesAddie Posts: 166 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Have you thought about maybe checking out a CrossFit class?

It’s definitely not for everyone, but it certainly has a lot of the movements you mentioned in your posts (no kickboxing at most though) and you will definitely get your heart rate up. It also has the weight component you are looking for.

Like I said, it’s not for everyone, and each CrossFit Box is different, but it’s worth checking out. As with any fitness program, it’s only as good as the trainers and coaches - if they dont take your fitness level into account and adapt the workouts, it’s not good place to train.

I personally love it - love the friends I’ve made and the accountability they give me. Love the pace and different workout each day - never get stuck in a rut or bored. Love the competitive aspect and support of working out with a group of people. Most of all, love the results and how I feel after doing it.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    I love outdoor exercise. Not really a big fan of running although it's kind of fun on a trail. Bike, swim, ski, hike, it's all a good time. A lot of people enjoy doing their cardio outdoors, give it a shot.
  • tess5036
    tess5036 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    You could do both, some on your own and some classes. As everyone else has said, try a few to see what you like. I thought I'd love yoga, but I didn't and was surprised to find out Iove body combat classes. You never know until you try.
  • laur06whit
    laur06whit Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I can commit to the group classes monthly (no contract) so I’m committing myself to trying that 3-4 times a week and seeing how it feels. I have a barbell and some weight plates that I may incorporate as I go. I have tried boot camp classes but never CrossFit. I’m a little intimidated by the hardcore aspect of CrossFit. I am pretty out of shape and slightly overweight so I feel like CrossFit would easily kick my *kitten* haha. It’s an option though!