Manager hints that I'm big

Options

Replies

• DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Unless this is a repeated behavior, I'm guessing it was just a misinterpretation on your part. Trust me when I say that those of us concerned about our weight tend to have a one-track mind such that it's easy for us to assume that everybody else cares about how we look.

Don't do anything for now, see if it happens again. If it does, then either ask her not to make those comments (if her intent was not malicious), or call her out on it and go straight to HR (if her intent was malicious).
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    I'm in the: be polite but straightforward about it. Since you have a good relationship otherwise, one would hope she would be receptive to a calm request not to make comments about your appearance. Even if she's been really vague about it, you could always say something like "I've been feeling uncomfortable with some of your comments that seem to reference my weight. Could you please avoid making those kinds of comments in the future?" Or bring it up when she makes a comment you're uncomfortable about. Most people dance around things that bother them so much that the other person (who might not even be acting maliciously) never realizes there's a problem. You can certainly bring it up without making it a big deal, but you need to be clear about what you want.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I think my reaction would be to ask if she's drunk.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Report it to hr as harassment

That's a bit of a stretch from "hinting at" to harassment, especially if OP and her manager have an otherwise good relationship per her post.

It depends on where you live and/or work. We have to attend 'sensitivity training' yearly at my job and they tell us that mentioning someone's weight at all, in a positive, neutral or negative way can be considered harassment. Actually even telling then they are pretty can be harassment. Any mention of a person's appearance can be harassment. People still do it, though.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Does your job have appearance requirements?
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Here's a thought. Smile and confidently say, "Thank you. My doctor and I are both happy that this new, more normal weight has me feeling better but I'd really rather you don't mention it at work." That oughtta fix her wagon.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,449 Member
    Options
    i would respond with 'its funny, i was thinking the same about you....' see how that works :laugh:

Noooo, that's not me. Plus she knows it ;)
  • yirara
    Options
    I'm curious to know exactly what was said. It's hard to know how to respond without a bit more info, tbh.

Yeah, that's the thing... I honestly forgot what she said to be honest. I know I replied once that I'm very happy with my weight and would not want to lose anything. Thus while I forgot what exactly she said, the fact that she said it really annoys me and makes me very insecure.
  • yirara
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »

Ha, no. Is that actually a thing?
  • yirara
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    Right. My manager has been hinting a few times that I look a bit chubby. And I don't know how to react to that. I know I don't look as thin as I am (see below), but.. it's just a wrong comment to make and I don't know how to react to it. I could tell her to shut up, but that's not me and we otherwise have a good relationship. Any idea other than ignoring it should she hint again?

I'm not fat. My BMI is 21 and I'm maintaining. There was a time, when I started this job where I was about 4-6kg lighter. I'm happy at my current weight as my blood pressure was so low at the lower weight that I could not stand up without nearly fainting. Plus I looked far too bony, and my face looked even unhealthier slim that now. However, I'm not very tall but have very wide shoulders and hips. I carry might weight on my thighs and bum but I have a very slim belly (I used to have a sixpack at the lower weight), which you don't see as it's always cold here and I tend to wear warm, wider clothes.

It's fairly inappropriate for your manager to be commenting on your weight at all was there some reason that it came up in conversation? At BMI 21 you are far from chubby. Perhaps if she makes the comment again, you can tell her that her comment is making you uncomfortable and hope that an informal chat can resolve it.

I know. It's not a normal manager/subordinate work relationship. I do my own work and she keeps an eye on everything (research, basically). But it also means that I cannot simply change manager as my research depends on her, and the same with me going to conferences.

And why it came up? Not sure, just out of nowhere, just chatting about the coming weekend and other unimportant things, really.
  • gabriellejayde
    gabriellejayde Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    lorrpb wrote: »

Ha, no. Is that actually a thing?

if you work at hooters. or you're a flight attendant. or you need to fit into a costume or uniform.
  • yirara
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    If it's happened "a few times" it will happen again.
    Time to confront your manager (calmly) and tell her in a polite but assertive way to keep her beak out of things that don't concern her.

If she doesn't back off then tell your manager's manager and/or HR. In writing.

Don't be a door mat or people will wipe their feet on you!

Yeah, of course not. There's just not a manager above as such. Structures here are somewhat different. I hope I'm a bit more confident next time she hints.
  • yirara
    Options
    Hmm. Yeah, you could be reading into things that aren't really there if you tend to get defensive about your weight. Congrats on losing 4-6kg and maintaining, btw.

My other thought was that maybe she's feeling threatened by you and that's why she's taking digs.

Thanks. Ehmm.. but I am 4-6 heavier than at my lowest. I thought it was too low :D
  • MissyCHF
    MissyCHF Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    How chubby or not, is your manager? Perhaps she's jealous.