the college grad who's back to living with parents

Options
Hi guys,

just wanted to say hello!

I'm not sure how many of you are in my particular situation but I used to be good about eating in college when I could monitor what I ate. Now that i'm back home living with my mom and dad, I don't have as much independence to choose what I eat. I'm on this site to pretty much get back to my normal weight and physique when I was at school!

:)

Replies

• karissastephens
    karissastephens Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    bump!! Im in the same position!
  • bree5291
    bree5291 Posts: 50
    Options
    Same!
  • wonderfert
    Options
    I'm in the same position. Good luck, this site really does help. :)
  • HealthyKt78
    HealthyKt78 Posts: 439
    Options
    similar situation. I went to a community college on the other side of the state for two years but we don't have enough money for me to go to the state school there so I have to come home and go to USF. So I'm a college student living back at home.
  • sngnyrslp
    sngnyrslp Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Yup, I'm having the same problem. But I'm not a college grad, just home for summer vacation so I'm just holding out for a little while longer until I can get back on campus!
  • AKosky585
    AKosky585 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Same situation....recent college grad and a newlywed...back to living with mom. (Ugh!!! ) Luckily, we have the upstairs loft to ourselves with our own fridge...so its like our own apartment. Still hard though when there is my mom, my aunt, my hubby and I all fighting for the stove/oven at the same time to prepare our own stuff.
  • xTattooedDollx
    xTattooedDollx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    So why not buy your own food?
  • ibp2102
    ibp2102 Posts: 6
    Options
    So why not buy your own food?

my mom won't let me since she's decided she wants me to gain weight lol
  • linz1125
    linz1125 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    LOL What? she wants you to gain weight? I understand, my parents weren't very supportive with any efforts of my weight loss. My mom has always been between a size 6 and 8, so she's never had to work at being fit and slim. My dad however comes from an Italian family and he's a baker. So I grew up snacking on breads, bagels, and any other carb-rich food, pasta, and such. They flat out told me they would not support any changes in my eating habits unless it was just portion control. So unfortunately I just waited until I could move out to discover different ways of eating and such. It really sucks, but I totally understand. I don't recommend just waiting, but I do think you should try to reason with your mom about at least having an area you can keep foods you like and will eat so that you can have things around you like. Maybe offer to at least cook dinner for them once a week (and slowly increase it) so maybe they will start eating like you and not even realize it. Just a thought. Good luck, that's a tough situation.
  • xTattooedDollx
    xTattooedDollx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Your mom wont let you? Or that's just an excuse? You're a big girl now, you can do it.
  • ibp2102
    Options
    LOL What? she wants you to gain weight? I understand, my parents weren't very supportive with any efforts of my weight loss. My mom has always been between a size 6 and 8, so she's never had to work at being fit and slim. My dad however comes from an Italian family and he's a baker. So I grew up snacking on breads, bagels, and any other carb-rich food, pasta, and such. They flat out told me they would not support any changes in my eating habits unless it was just portion control. So unfortunately I just waited until I could move out to discover different ways of eating and such. It really sucks, but I totally understand. I don't recommend just waiting, but I do think you should try to reason with your mom about at least having an area you can keep foods you like and will eat so that you can have things around you like. Maybe offer to at least cook dinner for them once a week (and slowly increase it) so maybe they will start eating like you and not even realize it. Just a thought. Good luck, that's a tough situation.

That's a really good idea about offering to cook dinner. I'm trying to work on them slowly to get them to understand that I need some independence in the realm of eating. Basically, i've always been on the slightly thin side so my mom feels like if she doesn't feed me it will be a poor reflection on her. Unfortunately she doesn't understand that eating a lot makes me feel tired and bloated. Thanks for the tips though and good luck to you too!!
  • karissastephens
    karissastephens Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Your mom wont let you? Or that's just an excuse? You're a big girl now, you can do it.

Its harder than you think. I understand her. I live in a 3 bedroom house with 6 family members here with me. 2 kids, 4 adults. I am the only one in my family that eats the way I do..(verrrrryyyyy picky and healthy) so cooking other foods isn't really an option considering I never have room to cook in the kitchen with my family cooking all day, i have no room to store my OWN groceries, and I have no money at the moment since I paid my own way for college.

So if she is anything like me, then I totally understand and its sooooo hard to eat healthy when your family cooks yummy, greasy, carb loaded foods all the time and your too tempted to eat what they made instead of cooking your own meal haha :laugh:
  • ibp2102
    Options

I know it seems weird but both my parents are doctors so its hard to argue with them about food since they have the degree and I don't. They don't feed me unhealthy stuff but the quantity of food is what I can't handle. My mom's particularly interested in feeding me since I haven't been home for four years so its sort of an emotional thing for her as well.