Help me up my calories

Options
So as of right now I eating no more then 800 calories. Usually Ill have an apple with some strawberries for lunch then a yogurt, turkey bacon and egg whites for lunch, and grilled chicken with a turkey burger for dinner. I know I need to be eating more I'm just not sure what to eat anyone have ideas?

Replies

• trin8ty75
    trin8ty75 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Use regular bacon and whole eggs and have peanut butter with your apple slices
  • melindafritz
    Options
    Eat breakfast
    lunch
    afternoon snack
    dinner
    night snack
  • amaysngrace
    amaysngrace Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    hummus with a multi-grain crackers, plain yogurt with granola and whip cream, fruit and veggie smoothies with plain yogurt added, oatmeal with fresh fruit, peanut butter with fresh veggies...
  • melindafritz
    Options
    turkey spaghetti
    turkey goulash
    lean pockets
    Mac and cheese
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    Full fat dairy.
    Avocados.
    Nuts.
    Nut butters.
    Eggs. Whole eggs. Not just the whites.
    Lean protein/canned tuna.
    Butter/Olive oil/Mayo.
    Full fat/cal salad dressings.
    Full fat/cal anything.
    Protein powder.
    Hummus.
    Beans.
  • dianamatienzo
    Options
    You're definitely eating WAY too little! You're going to mess up your metabolism if you keep that up :/ Looking at your diary, you surprisingly don't have many carbs! I would recommend eating more fruits and vegetables, and maybe some oats (or oatmeal), quinoa, beans, or rice for more carbs. Your protein intake seems great though! Nice job on that :) Just eat more, please!
  • Ldbg289
    Ldbg289 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    When I need to bump up my calories, I eat peanut butter(sometimes pb cups, miniatures of course) or ice cream(never more than what they say a serving is, I actually do measure it believe it or not) or some 100 calorie snacks, or a handful of rice crackers(depending on how many I'm off by). Oh and sometimes I eat the ice cream and the pb cups together, sometimes one or the other.
  • vivian1616
    vivian1616 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Some days it's hard for me to get all my calories in also, and when I first started on MFP I discovered that I was grossly under eating. I took a quick peek through your diary, and most days you are skipping either breakfast or lunch. Eating a healthy breakfast can help you get into the mindset of eating healthy all day. You should be consuming at least 1200 calories a day, and getting three meals in every day will help you get closer to that.

Avocados are a great way of adding some calories and healthy fats without adding a ton of sugars or heavy food. I eat half an avocado sliced up and sprinkled with sea salt. You can also mix it in with salads for some extra calories. Some other ideas: chicken salad made with low fat or olive oil mayo, using the whole egg instead of just the whites, VEGGIES and lots of them, nuts (especially almonds), cereal or oatmeal for breakfast, peanut butter or another nut butter for dipping your apples in, yogurt smoothies (there are lots of great recipes out there).

Remember when you don't consume enough calories, your body will store up whatever energy it can (in the form of fat) for future use, which is counter productive, so eat eat eat!! Good luck! :)
  • kshiraakshara
    kshiraakshara Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    At breakfast, switch out all the egg whites for whole eggs.

Also, those turkey burger patties you're having for dinner? Put them on a bun with veggies and maybe some cheese if you've got enough calories left for it. Or have some rice or sauteed veggies (or both!) with the chicken breasts.
  • tjthegreatone
    Options
    So as of right now I eating no more then 800 calories. Usually Ill have an apple with some strawberries for lunch then a yogurt, turkey bacon and egg whites for lunch, and grilled chicken with a turkey burger for dinner. I know I need to be eating more I'm just not sure what to eat anyone have ideas?

Okay so just out of curiosity are you not RAVENOUS eating that little? I'm just curious about all the people struggling to get enough calories in. Are you genuinely not hungry or you just ignore the hunger pangs?

Moving aside to attempt to offer some kind of help (difficult coming from a woman who eats three times what you do in a day) - are you on a carbohydrate-restricted diet? If so why? Even diabetics don't have to cut out carbs, they are advised to choose more complex carbs (including more veggies - you hardly eat any). If you are more complex carbs you'd have no problem upping your intake to at least 1200-1300: sweet potatoes, veggies, things like quinoa. If you're not adverse to plant-derived fats then oils and nut butters are great. I second eating the whole egg. Shame to waste the yolk.
  • julk_1212
    julk_1212 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary. Your literally not eating. Not even half a day worth of food. Have you ever heard of people say, eat more weigh less. Now that doesn't mean go crazy, it just means you need to eat enough to sustain a healthy metabolism. Your breakfast is great! Love it, but you should probably incorporate a healthy 300-400 calorie lunch and dinner. As of now it looks like you tend to either skip one or skim it so much it's a snack not a meal.
    If you eat a salad for either ensure you fill it with some nuts and even some protein. Fruit is great in salads too.
    For dinner, try some stir fry. Super fast and yummy, plus its easy to change up. Carrots, mushrooms, onions and a lil meat with some salt pepper or soy sauce and put it over some rice... Yum! Plus easy heat up for next day too! (Tip if you like cabbage it's awesome in chicken or pork stir fry)
    I also carry a granola bar in my purse. That way if its that crazy I can whip it out and chow down.
    I stopped losing weight at one point, I upped my cal intake about 200-300 and lost 10 pounds in a month without even knowing. Sometimes your body needs more. I would dif eat a healthy 1200 cals for sure.