Just bought a treadmill-pls help

Options
So I weigh about 280, I have just invested a tread mill. For the life of me I can’t get my head into eating properly so I thought I’ll try exercise and hopefully it’ll fall into place.

So I did 4 miles today. 3 miles on a slight incline at 3.5mph. I was SATURATED in sweat. The last mile on no incline at 3mph. I had to take a little break in between each mile too.

Am I wasting my time? Am I going to beef up?

I’d appreciate some advice if anyone has any pearls of wisdom they can share

I really really enjoy the treadmill, I don’t intend on using it for running, I prefer uphill walking or speed walking

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    While calorie burns are going to be disappointing, walking can be great cardio. Speed & incline are good ways to bump up the intensity (as you become more used to it).

Walking is cardio - not strength training. So no, you won't beef up.

You will very likely still need to monitor food intake. It's far easier to have a consistent deficit thru portion control than it is to burn enough calories (while eating the same calories) when you aren't tracking intake.
  • Sarahloulalou
    Sarahloulalou Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Thank you both so much for your replies. I will keep it up. I hope this works for me :)
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    So I weigh about 280, I have just invested a tread mill. For the life of me I can’t get my head into eating properly so I thought I’ll try exercise and hopefully it’ll fall into place.

So I did 4 miles today. 3 miles on a slight incline at 3.5mph. I was SATURATED in sweat. The last mile on no incline at 3mph. I had to take a little break in between each mile too.

Am I wasting my time? Am I going to beef up?

I’d appreciate some advice if anyone has any pearls of wisdom they can share

I really really enjoy the treadmill, I don’t intend on using it for running, I prefer uphill walking or speed walking

Just ramp up your exercising gradually. I know it's 'only' walking but going from no physical activity to 4 miles/day at 3.5 mph will take its toll on your body if you don't allow yourself to gradually adjust.

For the first couple of weeks, make sure you give yourself at least a couple of rest days per week. In addition, vary the distance & speed of your workouts. You don't want all of them to leave you physically spent - most of your exercise volume (~80%) should be done at an effort level where you're fully conversational and can maintain that pace for 45 minutes to an hour.

I hope you'll find that working out 'easy' makes it less of an issue to stick with your routine. You might find that still look forward to the sessions even after the initial excitement of starting a new routine wears off!
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I was over 300 when I decided it was time to abuse my downstairs coat rack. I started walking on it while watching hockey. Could go 1 period to start, then a bit more and more until I could walk the entire game (I'd PVR them and fast forward through commercials and Don Cherry). Then I started doing 1 minute of running for 10 minutes of walking, then for 5 minutes. Jan 1 of this year I started the C25K on the treadmill.

Now I can't use my treadmill anymore (poor thing is beat to crap) but can do 10K runs and do at least 10K a week if not more.

I'm also 220 ish now. And I do credit a lot of it to the treadmill (mostly because I didn't like how little food I got to eat if I didn't use it).

So yes, it can help you make a difference tied in with tracking your calories. Start slow, understand it takes time and you need your days off. Also, and I can't stress this enough, make sure you have good shoes. If I had done that sooner I would have missed out on shin splints and I didn't enjoy them at all. That means going to a running store and talking to a salesperson who knows what they are doing.

You won't beef up. You need to lift weights if you want to beef up.
  • Sarahloulalou
    Options
    Thank you both so much for your replies.

I will ease myself in, I do hope this isn’t just a phase or a novelty.

I want to lose weight to look better but also for my health. I quit smoking in July and gained quite a bit of timber over the summer.

Tacklewasher- your loss is amazing! I hope I can do the same :)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    While you can't outrun a bad diet I would never discourage someone from starting an exercise program, it may or may not help in terms of weight loss (that all comes down to eating fewer calories than you expend) but the improvements in cardiovascular health may help mitigate some of the health risks associated with being overweight.

Quitting smoking was probably one of the best things you could have done for yourself (I packed on the pounds when I quit too......food tasted so good)

One step at a time! Good luck.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Exercise is great for health and the calorie burns don't hurt! However, you said, "For the life of me I can’t get my head into eating properly" A common problem is that exercise doesn't actually burn that many calories and it's easy to overeat after exercise, especially strenuous exercise. Perhaps start counting calories but only set MFP to lose .5 lbs per week.
  • Sarahloulalou
    Options
    Thank you again for the replies. I’ve moved it close to a window so I can get fresh air :)

Yes food tastes amazing! Everything does, even my coffee tastes better! Well done to you too for quitting. It’s not easy but so worth it :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Beef up.... from walking? :huh:
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    It shows how beneficial it will be for you. Lots of room to improve. Remember where you are starting. Consider keeping a log of your time, pace, and incline. It will give you a fun way to track your progress.
    At 300 lb 3+yrs ago I started on my elliptical at the lowest resistance and I made it 6 minutes! Now, 150 lb lighter and much fitter, I easily do 30-40 min (don't really have the interest to go longer) and work my way up to the max level 22 and have almost doubled my rpm. I still haven't come near maxing out the abilities of the machine.
  • Sarahloulalou
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    It shows how beneficial it will be for you. Lots of room to improve. Remember where you are starting. Consider keeping a log of your time, pace, and incline. It will give you a fun way to track your progress.
    At 300 lb 3+yrs ago I started on my elliptical at the lowest resistance and I made it 6 minutes! Now, 150 lb lighter and much fitter, I easily do 30-40 min (don't really have the interest to go longer) and work my way up to the max level 22 and have almost doubled my rpm. I still haven't come near maxing out the abilities of the machine.

Thank you for your advice. I will definitely keep a log. I’d love to lose the kind of weight you’ve lost that’s amazing well done :)
  • Sarahloulalou
    Options
    leggup wrote: »
    Exercise is great for health and the calorie burns don't hurt! However, you said, "For the life of me I can’t get my head into eating properly" A common problem is that exercise doesn't actually burn that many calories and it's easy to overeat after exercise, especially strenuous exercise. Perhaps start counting calories but only set MFP to lose .5 lbs per week.

I’m taking this all on board thank you

Thank you all so much for your advice :)
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,694 Member
    Options
    I also suggest doing some of your walking outside. There is more variety and miles seem to pass more quickly. Best is to find a trail or park where you are walking in nature. It does amazing things to the mind/heart.