needing lower carb meal/snack ideas

Options
gidjinswife
gidjinswife Posts: 36 Member
edited October 2017 in Food and Nutrition
*Edited to remove unnecessary background info, I'm too wordy sometimes ;)* What are some of your favorite easy to prepare lower carb meals/snacks? I'm gluten free for health reasons and prefer "clean food".

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Are you seeing a Gyn in addition to the midwife? I would get a recommendation for a Registered Dietician from him/her. That would be the best advice for both you and baby instead of random people on an internet forum.
  • gidjinswife
    Options
    I probably shouldn't have put in all the background info. TMI. I just want to know what easy lower carb meals/snacks people have found that are gluten free. I did see the gyn today (just got my words mixed up), she's not concerned enough that I need a dietician. I'm sending her my readings in weekly now so we can monitor it together. I'm not asking for medical advice, but I can see how it seems like that. I really just want meal/snack ideas, I haven't worried about carbs before. I'll edit my original post to make that more clear.
  • benoit822
    benoit822 Posts: 2 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Never mind.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    All the meats and fats are naturally carb and gluten free. Beef jerky. Cheese. Tuna.
  • shaismom2010
    shaismom2010 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Asian turkey lettuce wraps are amazeballs
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Hard boiled eggs. Cheese (has some carbs).
  • Sunnybrooke99
    Sunnybrooke99 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I like gerber lil sticks. They are basically high quality vianna sausages and only 100 calories for a jar. Another one of my favorites is a chilled steamed artichoke with some ceasar dressing.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Low carb is supposed to decrease hunger, so you shouldn't have to snack, and just stopping snacking can also regulate your appetite. That said, snacks are just small meals, so you can snack on anything.

What health reasons do you have for avoiding gluten? Unless it's a real health reason, it's adding unnecessary restriction. Unnecessary restriction does not simplify your life, it makes it harder. To avoid gluten, don't eat anything that contains wheat, rye or barley. Grains are mostly starch, which is a carb, so cutting out these foods would probably mean that you're eating lower carb. If you haven't worried about carbs before, why is it a concern now?

"Clean food" can mean anything, so it means nothing.

There are no secret magic healthy foods. You can eat anything you like (and can digest); you should eat a varied and balanced diet. What I like, I'm doubting you like. What I think is easy to prepare, can look complicated to you. Eat food you like that is available to you.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    hard boiled egg
    lunch meat from the deli
    cheese (is that gf? i dont know)
    cucumber and laughing cow wedges
    celery and peanut butter
    fruit
    red and green bell pepper with laughing cow cheese

• Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    @kommodevaran: It's only keto that reduces hunger. Just reducing carbs somewhat, as she's looking to do, doesn't reduce appetite, and can intensify it for some. Also women in the third trimester of pregnancy do need to snack. Large meals almost always cause them heartburn, as their stomachs are significantly pushed on.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    @kommodevaran: It's only keto that reduces hunger. Just reducing carbs somewhat, as she's looking to do, doesn't reduce appetite, and can intensify it for some. Also women in the third trimester of pregnancy do need to snack. Large meals almost always cause them heartburn, as their stomachs are significantly pushed on.

Oh, thanks. You are right. My bad, but I'll only admit so partly - "pregnant in third semester" was deemed irrelevant :#
  • boehle
    boehle Posts: 5,062 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of actual beef sticks with cheese (Most beef jerky is a bit higher than Id like in carbs)
    I eat raw almonds
    Spicy Pork Rinds
    Celery and Cream Cheese
    Cucumbers or Radishes
    Bacon wrapped pickles

• Forever_mhm
    Forever_mhm Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    hard boiled egg
    lunch meat from the deli
    cheese (is that gf? i dont know)
    cucumber and laughing cow wedges
    celery and peanut butter
    fruit
    red and green bell pepper with laughing cow cheese

I love laughing cow !!!!
  • epasandee
    epasandee Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I like to snack on seaweed
  • gidjinswife
    Options
    Thanks all, you reminded me of some good snack options, time to make some hard boiled eggs and chop up some veggies
  • lovebarbados
    lovebarbados Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Mary's Gone Crackers - made mostly from seeds, and gf
    Hard boiled eggs and egg whites
    Sliced turkey
    Guacamole
    Nuts
    Cheese
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options