Powdered peanut butter weird question

Options
hannalunaa
hannalunaa Posts: 9 Member
edited October 2017 in Food and Nutrition
Okay.. so this is a super weird question but I'm confused. If the package of some powdered peanut butter says 45 calories per 2 tbsp., but the directions are to mix 2 tbsp powder with 1 tbsp water, then is it 45 calories per 2 tbsp. of the powder on its own or 45 calories per 2 tbsp. of the mixture of powder combined with the water?

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    12g of powdered Pb is 45 cals.... Weigh it out, then add the water.
  • Kalex1975
    Kalex1975 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I’ve used PB2, Jif peanut powder, and Crazy Richard’s... all use tablespoons of their powders “dry” in their nutritionals. All are pretty close but there are small differences (PB2 adds a sweetener, etc.).
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    hannalunaa wrote: »
    Okay.. so this is a super weird question but I'm confused. If the package of some powdered peanut butter says 45 calories per 2 tbsp., but the directions are to mix 2 tbsp powder with 1 tbsp water, then is it 45 calories per 2 tbsp. of the powder on its own or 45 calories per 2 tbsp. of the mixture of powder combined with the water?

well water has no calories so....?
  • Kalex1975
    Options

Yes, but adding the water would increase the volume, so less peanut powder is in 2 tablespoons when mixed with water.
  • tcaley4
    tcaley4 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    You still have the same amount of PB powder. If you take 1 piece of spaghetti and break it in half, do you have twice as much?
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Weigh the dry PB2. Add to log. Add the recommended ratio of water.. if you're doing that. I often use it in smoothies and soups without adding water explicitly.
  • Kalex1975
    Options
    tcaley4 wrote: »
    You still have the same amount of PB powder. If you take 1 piece of spaghetti and break it in half, do you have twice as much?

What? That is not a good metaphor... a tablespoon is a measure of volume. Water has volume, the peanut powder has volume. So, when the peanut powder is mixed with water the zero calorie water takes up some of the space reducing the overall calories (etc.) in the total volume if it was just the powder alone.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Kalex1975 wrote: »

Yes, but adding the water would increase the volume, so less peanut powder is in 2 tablespoons when mixed with water.

but adding something with 0 calories cannot increase the calories...
  • Kalex1975
    Options
    tcaley4 wrote: »

What? That is not a good metaphor... a tablespoon is a measure of volume. Water has volume, the peanut powder has volume. So, when the peanut powder is mixed with water the zero calorie water takes up some of the space reducing the overall calories (etc.) in the total volume if it was just the powder alone.

All that being said, it's a moot point...

I looked again and the nutrition labels don't specifically say "dry" but they also don't say mixed with water. So, by default, the nutrition information is for the ingredient as-is (i.e. "dry").
  • Kalex1975
    Options

VOLUME...

The question was whether to measure the powder dry or after you re-hydrate it (mix it with water). So, adding something with zero calories can decrease the amount of calories in the same volume being measured - there is less powder in that same tablespoon after you have mixed it with water.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

VOLUME...

The question was whether to measure the powder dry or after you re-hydrate it (mix it with water). So, adding something with zero calories can decrease the amount of calories in the same volume being measured - there is less powder in that same tablespoon after you have mixed it with water.

you know, i wouldnt have understood it had you not bolded the word. thanks....
  • Kalex1975
    Options

VOLUME...

Your welcome.
  • Sunnybrooke99
    Sunnybrooke99 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    You know, this question was not that weird for a peanut butter question.
  • joemac1988
    joemac1988 Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options

Water has no calories. You could add 2 tbsp to a gallon and it would still only be 45 calories.
  • Kalex1975
    Options

VOLUME...

Your welcome.

*you're

Ah yes, thanks... hate that.
  • MonaLisaLianne
    MonaLisaLianne Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    1/4 cup of generic apple juice has 28 calories. Now, mix that 1/4 cup of apple juice with 1/4 cup of water. How many calories would now be in 1/4 cup of the mixed solution?

Answer: half (14 calories)

Math is hard :D