A HIGH FIBER DIET?!! HELP

Options
Good morning friends! I had a procedure done yesterday and the Dr wants to put me on a high fiber diet. This FREAKS me out, because I'm used to Protein diets and I'm afraid of gaining weight. Any thoughts on this? He gave me a list of acceptable food, but how do I know what will help me lose, not gain?

Replies

• EliseTK1
    EliseTK1 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    You lose weight via a calorie deficit, not by eating specific foods. Stick to your deficit and you’ll lose.

^I agree. High fiber actually assists with decreasing hunger as well, so it may make your weight loss easier. If you find yourself gaining weight the first week or two after increasing fiber, don't worry- sometimes it can make you hold bulk in your GI tract including extra water for a short while before you become more "regular." As long as your calories are in a deficit, your weight will come back down.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    The benefit of high protein for many is that it helps with hunger, and fiber often has the same effect. Some foods (like beans) are both pretty good sources of protein and high fiber, whereas some other sources of fiber may be pretty low cal. I'd say try it before deciding you won't like it.

And yes, calorie deficit is what causes weight loss, although if you've been low carb and increase carbs you might gain some water weight. It's not fat, it doesn't matter, and it will be only at first.

^^^ all of this ^^^
  • nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Going along with the other commenter, if you've been relatively low fiber up to now, I'd ramp it up gradually.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Going along with the other commenter, if you've been relatively low fiber up to now, I'd ramp it up gradually.

Yes, and focus on whole foods with fiber. Think: green VEGETABLES and fruit. Not fiber supplements. Vegetables and fruits have a lot of water in them, this helps.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    My doctor also advised me to get more fiber. So in the morning, I fill up a blender bottle with water and Mio, add a couple tablespoons of Metamucil, shake it up and chug it. Barely any extra calories, easy peasy.
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    ^^great advice. I eat a pretty high fiber diet most of the time and really think it's helped me over the years. I have 2 friends who's Dr advised to get a high fiber diet because of Diverticulitis. Change one of your MFP's goals to fiber and increase fiber slowly. Don't go from 5 grams a day to 30! And make sure you're drinking plenty of water.

I was surprised at the amount of fiber and low calories in eggplant and other fruits/vegetables, in addition to beans/lentils, try researching vegetarian recipes - they typically will be full of fiber. I just made black bean soup and lentil/mushroom meatloaf and they are high in fiber and flavor. Or add a can of white beans to a vegetable soup for an easy high fiber fix.

I also start my day with a high fiber breakfast of either oatmeal (the old fashioned kind, not instant), plus chia seeds and raisins. Or shredded wheat cereal with banana or berries. Both clock in at 8-10 grams of fiber and about 350 calories depending on portions & type of milk.

Apples, pears, berries, avocados come to mind as well. Good luck!
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    You might try pairing the apple or pear with some protein for a more filling snack. I like an oz of blue cheese with my apple.

You can also try adding chopped apple to chicken breast, celery, grapes and either mayo or plain yogurt for a yummy chicken salad that has both protein and fiber. Serve in a lettuce leaf if you're trying to cut carbs. Dang, that sounds good! I'm going to make that this week! LOL.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Easy, stick with low calorie density, high fiber foods. Basically, eat your veggies.
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    There are some awesome low calorie high fibre cereals out there. Also wholegrains in bread and pasta. Try to get something fibrous into every meal.
  • MyTurn2BHappy
    MyTurn2BHappy Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    WOW THANK YOU! These are all great ideas! But, I can't have fiber supplements, they upset my stomach. I feel better about it now :smile:
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Almost all the grain products I buy are whole grain rather than refined - in addition to the right kind of veggies and fruit, they're a great source of fiber. Become a label reader and choose the products that are higher in fiber when you shop or dine out. For example, fiber in a bottle of diet Coke = 0g, fiber in a 6 oz glass of V8 = 2g. I routinely get more than 30g of fiber in my diet per day, and I never use fiber supplements - you don't need them if you make the right food choices. Also note that not all fruits and veggies are made equal: some have more fiber than others.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/high-fiber-foods/art-20050948

I also choose snacks for their fiber content - couple of Ak-Mak crackers with 2 Tb hummus = 2.5g fiber, medium apple = 4.4g, 90 calorie Fiber One Chocolate Fudge Brownie bar, 5g.
  • Sunnybrooke99
    Sunnybrooke99 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Pears are one of the higher fiber fruits, and they are available now. There are some recipes for cooking them into stuff. I throw them into a whole juice w some celery and blueberries.
  • nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Oh, and raspberries are really high fiber too! I'm always looking for an excuse to eat more raspberries. Think french toast made with high fiber bread and almond milk and topped with bananas and raspberries...

Now I've made myself hungry.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Eat bran cereal for breakfast. Simple. I eat a serving of All Bran Buds plus a serving of either Frosted Mini Wheats or Kashi Shredded wheat every morning. The two together taste decent, and it is a heck of a start on your fiber for the day. Just drink lots of water throughout the day and you'll be fine.
  • bellaesprita000
    bellaesprita000 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    You should look into FiberOne products. Also if you want your protein and lots of fiber too, there's Quest bars.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Eat bran cereal for breakfast. Simple. I eat a serving of All Bran Buds plus a serving of either Frosted Mini Wheats or Kashi Shredded wheat every morning. The two together taste decent, and it is a heck of a start on your fiber for the day. Just drink lots of water throughout the day and you'll be fine.

For those like me who find the taste and texture of All Bran vile and have to avoid it because it contains psyllium:

All Bran Buds - 13g
    Frosted Mini Wheats plus a banana plus Fiber One bar for a mid-morning snack - 5.3g + 3.1 + 5 = 13.4g

So there's more than one way to get your fiber in. Regarding psyllium, it can have negative digestive effects in some people - and people like me who are on blood thinners have to avoid psyllium.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    You should look into FiberOne products. Also if you want your protein and lots of fiber too, there's Quest bars.

I'm okay with original Fiber One - no chicory root (inulin)......but flavored Fiber Ones give me stomach pain.