Zuchini Noodle alternative?

Options
I am so frustrated over the mass amounts of Zoodle recipes out there. They look so delicious, but I can't eat zucchini it throws my stomach for a painful loop. Anyone have a good substitute for these recipes, in particular the ones relating to red sauce (lasagna, spaghetti, etc.)? Spaghetti squash is impossible for me to get out of season where I live so that's a no-go for an alternative.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    any veg that you can make into a noodle type shape could be used? carrots, parsnip, or just chop up some cabbage?
  • Aint2Proud2Meg
    Aint2Proud2Meg Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I bet sweet potato would be awesome, it's like the one thing I haven't spiralized yet :)

A lot of people like shirataki or tofu shirataki noodles. They're ok if you rinse the bejesus out of them, but I find them cost prohibitive.

Have you tried spaghetti squash? I also like broccoli slaw in place of noodles in stir-fry and such.
  • acfisher88
    acfisher88 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Regular squash can be turned into noodles in the same way as zucchini, you don't need spaghetti squash specifically. Get one big enough and it should be easy to slice into lasagne sheets too
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Am I the only person who just eats regular old pasta in properly measured portions? :huh:

I wouldn't think sweet potato would be much if any less calorie-dense than pasta (although it offers a better nutritional bang for your buck).
  • Chelsea_LO
    Chelsea_LO Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I like to use cabbage and cut it in half then thinly slice it. Sauté with some onions, a pinch of basil and eat it with a ground turkey bolognese. I really enjoy it and is cheaper as far as yield goes than zucchini
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Noodle alternative alternative :D
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Broccoli Stems are supposed to be wonderful. I use carrots often but I generally make a low fat alfredo for those. I also use Shirataki Noodles alot. The soy free ones are about 10 calories a pkg. Some people like them and some hate them, personally I like them. If you try them be prepared for a more rubbery texture and make sure you rinse them thoroughly. Also I put them in a no stick pan and heat to release some of the water to avoid making my sauce too runny.
  • nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    Am I the only person who just eats regular old pasta in properly measured portions? :huh:

I wouldn't think sweet potato would be much if any less calorie-dense than pasta (although it offers a better nutritional bang for your buck).

I eat whole wheat, but, yeah, I'm with you. I just weigh it before I cook it. If I just want a big bowl of something I do this:

Boil 4 oz of whole wheat pasta until one minute before desired tenderness, add 16 ounce bag of frozen stir fry vegetables, drain after one minute, toss with toasted sesame oil, soy sauce, a touch of rice vinegar, and garlic powder, and sometimes crushed red pepper.

Or this:

Boil 4 oz of whole wheat past until 30 seconds before desired tenderness, add 3 or 4 handfuls of spinach, then drain and toss with spaghetti sauce.

I'd rather have real pasta with a lot of veggies mixed in than try to trick myself into thinking a carrot is a pasta.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Whatever vegetable you want.
    Potato, sweet potato, parsnip, carrot, rutabaga, etc
    http://inspiralized.com/spiralizer-recipes/

Shredded cabbage or broccoli slaw might be an option.

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    BusyBaer wrote: »
    I am so frustrated over the mass amounts of Zoodle recipes out there. They look so delicious, but I can't eat zucchini it throws my stomach for a painful loop. Anyone have a good substitute for these recipes, in particular the ones relating to red sauce (lasagna, spaghetti, etc.)? Spaghetti squash is impossible for me to get out of season where I live so that's a no-go for an alternative.

Does it have to be a vegetable? If not, I'd suggest Fiber Gourmet pasta. 1/2 the calories of regular pasta.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »

I eat whole wheat, but, yeah, I'm with you. I just weigh it before I cook it. If I just want a big bowl of something I do this:

Boil 4 oz of whole wheat pasta until one minute before desired tenderness, add 16 ounce bag of frozen stir fry vegetables, drain after one minute, toss with toasted sesame oil, soy sauce, a touch of rice vinegar, and garlic powder, and sometimes crushed red pepper.

Or this:

Boil 4 oz of whole wheat past until 30 seconds before desired tenderness, add 3 or 4 handfuls of spinach, then drain and toss with spaghetti sauce.

I'd rather have real pasta with a lot of veggies mixed in than try to trick myself into thinking a carrot is a pasta.

Not everyone can have real pasta though...
  • jeaninesteam1
    jeaninesteam1 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I've heard that turnip noodles are delish from the spiralizer..