So disheartened

Options
2»

Replies

• tuolon
    tuolon Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10608660/found-a-video-that-really-motivated-me-to-do-better-and-just-wanted-to-share#latest

Here is a link to a really good video by a member from my fitness pal. I bumped the discusion. It is a video on youtube that is called "counting calories with a ballerina" by munchies.
    The girl in the video exercises and eats some of her calories back from exercising. And still loses weight. She only needs to deprive herself of 250 calories a day to lose 1/2 a week. Personnally, i didn't start losing weight until i started eating back some of my exercise calories. I was starving myself and my body held onto my calories. Maybe that might be the problem. I don't know, i can only give you my personnal experience.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,491 Member
    Options
    You don't have weigh or measure lettuce. Something does add up. Have you crunched the numbers on the recipes?
  • sereynolds10
    sereynolds10 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I opened up my journal. Have at it. I think an obvious thing is I might be not eating enough fruits and vege. Tuesdays are my free days - most of the time I don't record this days. I don't think I go overboard, but that could also be it. But I don't want to constrict myself too much or I might go crazy and binge. And I know I've only recorded in MFP for the last couple of weeks. Before that, I was recording elsewhere, but eating about the same
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    The good news might also seem like bad news to you, but you're eating considerably more than you think. You need to use a food scale and start measuring your solid food in grams. You have a lot of very rough guestimates of weights/portion sizes. Tighten that up and you'll start to see results.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    It takes a little practice to get the hang of how to accurately weigh your food, but keep at it and you'll get better.

Something else you could experiment with if you don't want to be so precise is to cut out some of your snacking. Like those cookies for example or something else that's coming in around 200-300 calories and see how/if that moves the scale. If not, you could cut something else and see how that works. It's not as pinpoint accurate as weighing/measuring, but it can be effective for quite a while until you get closer to goal and really need to tighten up.

I've done this for the first 35 lbs and it's worked well because I just had so darn much to work with. Now that I'm getting closer to goal it's getting harder to do this way, but it could give you some good results for a while to get you going and keep you motivated.

Just a thought.
  • sarahallisonsnider
    Options
    I'm right there with you. I'm at six weeks of tracking, no weight lose, no waist change. I'm hoping it's the muscle weighs more than fat thing. And time of month messes with weight up and down alot too. If you are feeling in better shape, you have made progress.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,072 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I'm right there with you. I'm at six weeks of tracking, no weight lose, no waist change. I'm hoping it's the muscle weighs more than fat thing. And time of month messes with weight up and down alot too. If you are feeling in better shape, you have made progress.

If you're in a deficit, there is not a "muscle weighs more than fat thing" a female who has been in a deficit for 6 weeks wouldn't not be gaining enough (if any) muscle to see it affect the scale negatively. You're either retaining water and/or eating more/burning less than you think.

A calorie surplus is needed to gain muscle, unless you're eating a lot of protein, lifting heavy and got some newb gains, which still likely wouldn't be weighing more than fat lost in a moderate deficit.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,072 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary, few points
    • nothing appears to be weighed
    • Things like "Homemade - Fried Chicken Wings" is this your own recipe? If not you have no idea what the nutritional information is and if it's correct
    • Your non-logging days combined with above issues can easily wipe out a deficit

Get a food scale, build your own recipes if you're not already and log everything.
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I opened up my journal. Have at it. I think an obvious thing is I might be not eating enough fruits and vege. Tuesdays are my free days - most of the time I don't record this days. I don't think I go overboard, but that could also be it. But I don't want to constrict myself too much or I might go crazy and binge. And I know I've only recorded in MFP for the last couple of weeks. Before that, I was recording elsewhere, but eating about the same

Instead of a free day, have a smaller deficit (aka eat a little bit more), and enjoy foods you like . That's the best way to avoid bingeing while still being accountable and consistent.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Really interesting (and diverse!) opinions here!
  • 43Kathy2017
    43Kathy2017 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I just need to vent and get this out before I go to sleep this morning.

I'm frustrated with my lack of progress. I've slowly gained back all the weight I lost over the past 4 years. I'm at the heaviest I've ever been - 221 lbs. And over the past several months when I've really dug down and really monitored my calories and exercise, I've only lost and gained the same 3-5 lbs. I'm not trying to over restrict my calorie intake, most days it's a struggle for me to eat more than 1200 in a day. I'm working with a personal trainer twice a week and have been for over a year now. I'm now adding cardio and lap swimming on some of my off days to bolster my activity level. And still. Nothing to show for it on the scale. I only weigh in once a week at a weight loss support group. I'm just at a loss. I'm so upset with myself for gaining all the weight back and now when I'm really really trying to do something about it, nothing's coming from it. I don't want to give up. I don't want to be like this for the rest of my life. I don't want to hate myself anymore than I already do. I'm tired off not seeing any progress for all I've been doing. I'm just at a loss.

Sorry for the post. I just needed to get this out there in the open to be more honest with myself.

• 43Kathy2017
    43Kathy2017 Posts: 4 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I kinda think that maybe there’s something going on outside of your diet and exercise. Are you sad about something else. How’s your life going on at home. Maybe just try to maintain for now until you get some of the outside stuff worked out. The cool thing is you lost the weight before so you can do it again. Either way just don’t give up! You can do it!
  • hughjazz74
    hughjazz74 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Can someone clarify with me what "woo" means?... I've clicked it in a positive sense as in whoohooo...haha, but is that not correct?
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    @hughjazz74 "woo" is TECHNICALLY both good and bad. Usually it's used in a negative way, though, as in "voodoo" or "diet woo". But if you're celebrating someone, that's okay too!
  • hughjazz74
    hughjazz74 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    aeloine wrote: »
    @hughjazz74 "woo" is TECHNICALLY both good and bad. Usually it's used in a negative way, though, as in "voodoo" or "diet woo". But if you're celebrating someone, that's okay too!

Haha funny, thank you for clarifying for me! :)
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I looked at the OP's diary. I'm no expert--I've only been on MFP since the end of June 2017. I know it's CICO, and she looks like she's eating the right amount of calories, and should be losing. But IMO, it doesn't look like enough substance (she even realized she lacks vegetables) and there are so many treats and fruits for only 1200 calories. I would imagine that eating like that over several months AND following an exercise program would lead to a plateau or burnout.
  • sereynolds10
    sereynolds10 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the suggestions. I will try to keep them in mind as I go forward. I'm definitely going to stay heading in a positive direction in both my weight loss and my mindset.

Thanks again!