Are fruits bad for weight loss?

Options
I have a couple of ppl who say “I don’t want a banana”. I’m cutting down sugar. Really? I told them natural sugars are good for the body. They were like it doesn’t matter. Sugar is sugar and all trainers and body builders don’t consume fruits. Can someone throw me light on this? Why are the natural source of food thought as an enemy?

Replies

• kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,981 Member
    Options
    I'm not a trainer or a body builder, but I have lost 75 pounds and I eat fruit just about every day.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    No...

Also, my trainer is a retired professional athlete and he eats fruit. I would say "all trainers and bodybuilders" is a bit of a stretch. I would say most body builders eat fruit as carbs are king when you're bulking muscle.

In regards to sugar being sugar...that is true...but fruit has a lot of other vitamins and minerals and antioxidants that come with it.

Also, common sense...it's a whole food...I hardly think fruit is at the root of the obesity epidemic.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Eating more calories than you burn is bad for weight loss.
    Fruit is good for you. Eat it and fit it into your calorie budget.
    All things in moderation.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Sugar IS sugar to your body, regardless of where it comes from. But fruit has the benefit of added nutrition like vitamins, minerals and fiber. So enjoy in moderation, just like everything else!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I have a couple of ppl who say “I don’t want a banana”. I’m cutting down sugar. Really? I told them natural sugars are good for the body. They were like it doesn’t matter. Sugar is sugar and all trainers and body builders don’t consume fruits. Can someone throw me light on this? Why are the natural source of food thought as an enemy?

Sugar is currently demonized, it's stupid.

That said, sugar IS sugar, and "natural sugar" as a separate thing isn't real, or particularly good (or bad) for your body.

What is true, and why you are more right than not, is that some foods that contain lots of sugar are high cal and don't have a lot of micronutrients, and some (like fruit) aren't very high cal and DO have lots of micronutrients. Those micros are good for your body, and for fueling a workout carbs (which fruit contain) aren't bad either, of course.

It's simply not true at all that all trainers and body builders don't consume fruits. In some cases body builders in contest prep mode will low carb because that's a way of dropping water and making muscles pop (I guess, not my field) and so for that period they will drop fruit (which is high carb). (And of course SOME trainers and body builders may prefer low carb strategies, but that doesn't mean fruit is bad for which, which is a deeply silly claim.)
  • nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Food has fads just like everything else. Kale is in, bananas are out. It's silly.

Although I have to admit, I WOULD lose a lot of weight on an all-kale diet. I can't stomach the stuff. ;)
  • katnadreau
    katnadreau Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    My mom lost 15 lbs avoiding most fruits due to sugar, oh and she's a type 2 diabetic. I've lost 19 lbs and I eat fruit every day (honey crisp apples are the best!!!!), I am not a diabetic. Fruit is not evil. It's delicious, it's nature's candy, ok now I need some berries or something.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    katnadreau wrote: »
    My mom lost 15 lbs avoiding most fruits due to sugar, oh and she's a type 2 diabetic. I've lost 19 lbs and I eat fruit every day (honey crisp apples are the best!!!!), I am not a diabetic. Fruit is not evil. It's delicious, it's nature's candy, ok now I need some berries or something.

Yes, but you both lost weight because you ate at a calorie deficit, not because of what you did or didn't eat. And now I want some raspberries.
  • hydechildcare
    hydechildcare Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    If they are diabetic Bananas contain more sugars than most fruit because it is carb heavy. Working in a nursing home we only gave 1/2 banana to a diabetic at a time.
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    Fruit is actually better for you than refined sugar since most include essential vitamins /minerals /fiber /etc. Just like everything else though, moderation is key.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    xvolution wrote: »
    Fruit is actually better for you than refined sugar since most include essential vitamins /minerals /fiber /etc. Just like everything else though, moderation is key.

Most foods I eat with added sugar also contain vitamins/minerals/fiber, etc. What foods only contain added sugar and nothing else, aside from actually eating plain sugar?
  • katnadreau
    katnadreau Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    katnadreau wrote: »

Yes, but you both lost weight because you ate at a calorie deficit, not because of what you did or didn't eat. And now I want some raspberries.

That was my point, sorry if I didn't make it clear
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »

Most foods I eat with added sugar also contain vitamins/minerals/fiber, etc. What foods only contain added sugar and nothing else, aside from actually eating plain sugar?

Yeah, the main "sweet" I've had this week is Clif Bars, lots of added sugar. But also a good amount of fat, protein, fiber, vitamin E, and iron.

• Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

Werthers?
    Had a Life Saver this morning.
    Halloween is less than a week away so I'm sure there are lots of examples there.

:)
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options

Werthers?
    Halloween is less than a week away so I'm sure there are lots of examples there.

I mean, there's some candy corn in the office kitchen, but I didn't think people actually ate that stuff.

I am very much looking forward to November 1st 1/2 price Halloween candy though!
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

Werthers?

I mean, there's some candy corn in the office kitchen, but I didn't think people actually ate that stuff.

I am very much looking forward to November 1st 1/2 price Halloween candy though!

I like candy corn. It's why I'm not buying any this Halloween.
    Candy corn
    Rockets (they are called something else in the US)
    Caramels

Now why was I 330 lbs again?????