Ground turkey vs Lean Ground Beef/Steak

Options
Hi all,

At my grocery store ground turkey (7% fat) has the same fat content per 100g as ground lean steak (5% fat) per 100g. Both have around 140 calories too but i'm not concerned about that aspect anyway.

The differences that stand out to me are the protein content per 100g are much higher (10g higher in the steak) and the price, turkey being about half the price compared to ground lean steak.

Apart from these are there any other benefits, health wise, nutritionally etc... from eating ground turkey compared to ground beef. I tried it for the first time today in a bolognese and to me it wasn't that bad at all and I was pleasantly surprised. At half the price it seems a worthwhile swap?

Interested to read the responses! :)

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    dlp97dlp wrote: »
    Hi all,

At my grocery store ground turkey (7% fat) has the same fat content per 100g as ground lean steak (5% fat) per 100g. Both have around 140 calories too but i'm not concerned about that aspect anyway.

The differences that stand out to me are the protein content per 100g are much higher (10g higher in the steak) and the price, turkey being about half the price compared to ground lean steak.

Apart from these are there any other benefits, health wise, nutritionally etc... from eating ground turkey compared to ground beef. I tried it for the first time today in a bolognese and to me it wasn't that bad at all and I was pleasantly surprised. At half the price it seems a worthwhile swap?

Interested to read the responses! :)

No...

If anything, there is more nutrition in the ground beef...but it's all pretty negligible. Eat whichever one you prefer.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I use both. Turkey thigh mince is delicious, I make my Bolognese with it.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Go with whichever you prefer. The health impact differences are pretty negligible. I don't view them as interchangeable replacements and like both in different applications.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    I seldom eat ground beef or turkey. Not my favorite way to prepare either. However, I eat a lot of beef and poultry in unground form.

Grilled 1.5" thick New York strip steaks, braised oxtails, braised chuck roast or short ribs, boiled corned beef, whole poached or roasted chicken and whole roasted turkey or turkey breasts are among my favorites.

Yum! :)
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I started using ground turkey more due to cost. It wasn't really a health decision.
  • sgt1372
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    I started using ground turkey more due to cost. It wasn't really a health decision.

If you like ground meat, it's almost always cheaper to buy the meat whole and grind it yourself.

They charge extra for grinding the meat and you'll know what cuts are used, which is not that much of an issue for turkey but something to be concerned about w/beef or pork.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I much prefer the taste of ground beef. I think the nutritional benefits of the ground turkey are mostly hype. I'll stick to my beef.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I prefer ground beef, but $3 a lb for 93% turkey vs $8 a lb for 93% ground beef, it's an easy choice.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Like Franci27 said, if they were the same price i'd get the 93% 7% beef but it isn't so turkey tacos it is!
  • sgt1372
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I prefer ground beef, but $3 a lb for 93% turkey vs $8 a lb for 93% ground beef, it's an easy choice.

Where does turkey cost $3/lb ground beef cost $8/lb?

In the SF Bay area, its about $3.75/# for ground beef and about $4.50/# for ground turkey.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Here, ignoring specials, it's around $3.30/lb for ground turkey (93%), and $5.99/lb for 93% ground beef, but only $3.99/lb for 85% ground beef. (I don't buy at the grocery store so had to check online, from when I do look at them in the grocery store I know there are often specials so it can be cheaper. Also, you can get 85% ground beef even at more expensive WF in my neighborhood for $3.99/lb right now, I noticed that yesterday.)

I can't stand ground turkey plain (I'd far rather cook a turkey leg or breast or whatever), but it's nice enough in a sauce or chili.
  • spdaphne
    spdaphne Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Ground bison is delicious! We now primarily use it when making tacos or burgers. Granted it's more in price, maybe around $10 lbs, but we are okay spending that since we don't eat it often and we aim to find grass fed, no hormones, etc.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    The turkey has less of an environmental impact per pound than the beef, if you want to stir that into your decision making.
  • remoore23
    remoore23 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    At the risk of starting a gigantic debate, the World Health Organization has listed red meat as a Group 2A carcinogen, meaning it is "probably carcinogenic to humans". What this means is that there is a strong correlation between the consumption of red meat and certain types of cancer but a definite link has not been proven. Thus, ground turkey may be slightly healthier just because it is not red meat.

By the way, the WHO lists processed meat as a Group 1 carcinogen, meaning that the link between processed meat and cancer (specifically colorectal cancer) has been proven.

With that being said, I still eat red meat on a fairly regular basis, like maybe a couple of times per week.

Here is a link to this information: http://www.who.int/features/qa/cancer-red-meat/en/
  • ggd_stpt
    ggd_stpt Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I usually get ground chicken breast. Bit pricey but I like it and it's worth it to me.
  • whosshe
    whosshe Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    oo7d3xn5sjui.jpg

I thought ground turkey had less calories than ground beef?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    oo7d3xn5sjui.jpg

The reason people think that is fat content. You can find both at 93% lean (as in the example), as well as leaner and less lean, but standard ground turkey you see in a store will likely be leaner than a standard ground beef (which is likely 85% and can be bought with even more fat). Then again, many people may simply buy the leaner ground beef, so the difference goes away.

To my mind the calories are about the same:

93% lean ground turkey is about 150 cal for 100 g (raw).

93% lean ground beef is about 152 cal for 100 g (raw).

But the chart is for cooked, and 93% lean ground turkey, broiled is about 207 cal for 100 g, and 93% lean ground beef, broiled is about 193 cal for 100 g -- all that means is I guess the turkey shrinks more when cooked at the same leanness.

So basically identical.

That chart is silly, as the differences on most of the things are so slight.
  • whosshe
    whosshe Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    oo7d3xn5sjui.jpg

The reason people think that is fat content. You can find both at 93% lean (as in the example), as well as leaner and less lean, but standard ground turkey you see in a store will likely be leaner than a standard ground beef (which is likely 85% and can be bought with even more fat). Then again, many people may simply buy the leaner ground beef, so the difference goes away.

To my mind the calories are about the same:

93% lean ground turkey is about 150 cal for 100 g (raw).

93% lean ground beef is about 152 cal for 100 g (raw).

But the chart is for cooked, and 93% lean ground turkey, broiled is about 207 cal for 100 g, and 93% lean ground beef, broiled is about 193 cal for 100 g -- all that means is I guess the turkey shrinks more when cooked at the same leanness.

So basically identical.

That chart is silly, as the differences on most of the things are so slight.

Ok I understand. Yea if I buy ground beef I usually get the 73% because it's really cheap, that's why I switched to ground turkey. Makes sense!
  • JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    It's entirely based on your personal preference. As for me, I much prefer beef. Though I do not like the 90% lean variety. Not enough flavor. If I was making Chili or something I guess the 90% would work (and I make a mean pot of chili), but if I am having a burger I need the fat.