Increase calories one day per week?

Options
I lost most of my weight eating around 1200 calories per day - although have now increased my calories to 1350 as I joined the gym and could do with some extra calories. I've been counting calories almost 2 years now and still have weight to lose!

I was thinking of having one day where I eat 1500 calories per day, the rest of the week I will stick to 1320. I'm currently exercising 5 days a week (45 minutes of cardio 5 days, plus 20-25 minutes of strength training on the machines 3 days). I haven't lost any weight since May, I keep gaining and losing the same 6-7 lbs (between 107-114) and am finding it tough to calorie count now when I no longer seem to be losing anything. I'm hoping my one day per week of increased eating will help keep me motivated.

Has anyone done this? More importantly, does it work?

Thanks

Replies

• jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    1500 is still deep in a deficit, so you'll be absolutely fine. Will it work better than eating the same number of weekly calories spread over all 7 days? unlikely.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    What are your stats? What rate of loss have you setup MFP to lose each week?

How long have you been eating 1200 calories?

• Sam29a
    Sam29a Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »

Since January 2016 I've been at around 1200 calories. I did increase to 1300 earlier this year, then went below 1200 for a few months. I am not using the MFP settings but just put my own calories goals, currently set at 1350. I'm happy losing weight slow - 3 lbs a month would be ideal, but I keep losing and regaining the weight.

Stats are 5 foot 2 inches, 113 lbs. I gained 3 lbs last week despite going to the gym 5 days and sticking to my calories which is really disheartening.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Sam29a wrote: »
    RoxieDawn wrote: »

Since January 2016 I've been at around 1200 calories. I did increase to 1300 earlier this year, then went below 1200 for a few months. I am not using the MFP settings but just put my own calories goals, currently set at 1350. I'm happy losing weight slow - 3 lbs a month would be ideal, but I keep losing and regaining the weight.

Stats are 5 foot 2 inches, 113 lbs. I gained 3 lbs last week despite going to the gym 5 days and sticking to my calories which is really disheartening.

See above. Read the links. They will explain.
  • Sam29a
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »

Thanks, will have a read! Although I'm not really at a huge deficit as I'm only short and have a petite frame under all the fat.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Entering your stats into a TDEE calculator, guessing your age as 30 (cos it really doesn't make a huge difference), and putting you at 3-5 hours of moderate exercise per week, your estimated TDEE is 2000, higher if you're going hard out on the cardio. That's a 650 calorie per day deficit or more. And you've been doing that for nearly two years.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options

Thanks, will have a read! Although I'm not really at a huge deficit as I'm only short and have a petite frame under all the fat.

You have been on 1200 calorie intake for a very long time. You should consider diet break, working yourself back up to your true maintenance. Maintain for a brief period and then reintroduce a very small deficit to lose the few pounds you want to.

And the pounds you gained last week was just water weight from incorporating exercise back into your regime. Consider also of you have made any dietary changes in the week, account for your monthly cycle, glycogen/muscle repair etc. Your weight is going to fluctuate daily, probably these same pounds you say you keep losing and gaining.

But definitely read the links above and do a diet break to get you back to where you should be.
  • Sam29a
    Options

With the amount of exercise you're doing at your weight, yeah, you are at a huge deficit. You have a BMI of about 20.5, so also no to 'all the fat'. When you're trying to lose weight at an already healthy weight your body fights back hard. My bet is you're carrying a ton of water weight from jacked up cortisol because you're stressing your body.

Okay. I will read through those links first, to see where I'm going wrong and what I need to be doing. It's all a bit confusing to me as yet! I have increased my calories since joining the gym, so I really don't think I'm at a huge deficit now.
  • livingfree44
    livingfree44 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Yes it will work...read up about carb cycling.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Great suggestions, been wondering the same thing myself!
  • xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Your weight is really not a lot. Stop with the cardio nonsense otherwise you will end up like a skinny fat smaller version of yourself. Do a body recomp and read up on Jade Tetas blog from metabolic effect https://www.metaboliceffect.com/eat-less-exercise-less/
    You should only either eat less, exercise less or eat more, exercise more not eat less, exercise more which is what you are doing. Go on his website to find out about the two protocols and see which one you want to do.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    If you’ve been in a massive deficit and exercising for nearly 11 months without a diet break, I would take one ASAP.

Sounds like you’re experiencing some serious metabolic adaptations if you can’t lose weight on 1300 cals.

The above assumes that you accurately weigh and track everything you eat or drink.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Since no one else has mentioned this--- how are you counting your calories? If you are not gaining or losing weight, you are in maintenance. Your average calories for the week are working out to maintenance. Adding 250 calories will not make you weigh less. My guess is that you are over-counting exercise, underestimating food, or both. Please open your diary and clarify how you're counting calories.

That said, the lowest (and I mean LOWEST) you can weigh at your height to stay in the normal zone is 101 lbs.
  • Sam29a
    Options
    leggup wrote: »
    Since no one else has mentioned this--- how are you counting your calories? If you are not gaining or losing weight, you are in maintenance. Your average calories for the week are working out to maintenance. Adding 250 calories will not make you weigh less. My guess is that you are over-counting exercise, underestimating food, or both. Please open your diary and clarify how you're counting calories.

That said, the lowest (and I mean LOWEST) you can weigh at your height to stay in the normal zone is 101 lbs.

I doubt it. I don't count my exercise calories, I just exercise. I have a Salter digital scale that I use to weigh out my food. I never eat from outside, never eat at parties, weddings, never eat anything cooked by anyone else - if it's not weighed I don't eat it. Everything is weighed out to the gram.

I thought my diary was open - I'll do that now, if it's any help.

I want to get to around 100 lbs, then I will start body recomp. I have a small frame, so I hold weight differently to other people, it's not all about height and BMI.