Calories for cooking oils/butter

Options
Ive always been wondering, do you guys count the calories you use for basically grease in the pan? Like the minimal amount of olive oil used to cook in your chicken? Sometimes before I cook my eggs in the morning I just use some olive oil spray or roll a little bit of butter on the bottom of the pan and I don't really know how to calculate those calories or if they really even count. Do they make a big difference? Any opinions on this?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Ive always been wondering, do you guys count the calories you use for basically grease in the pan? Like the minimal amount of olive oil used to cook in your chicken? Sometimes before I cook my eggs in the morning I just use some olive oil spray or roll a little bit of butter on the bottom of the pan and I don't really know how to calculate those calories or if they really even count. Do they make a big difference? Any opinions on this?

Oils and butters, etc are 120 calories per Tbsp...a teaspoon, which isn't much would then be 40 calories...1/2 tsp would be 20 calories.

Of course the calories count...it's dietary fat..it is the most calorie dense nutrient there is. How much you use would of course determine how much they count.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    For a spritz of the spray oil I quick add 20 cals
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    They count, which is why I stopped cooking in oil.

If you eat a lot of chicken like I do, I recommend alternate cooking methods. I started cooking in the oven and haven't looked back. I load up a bare 13x9 glass pan with chicken breasts and then salt and pepper. Put in the oven on low heat (300 degrees for 45 minutes usually does the trick). You get nice, moist breasts without the added oil calories.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I count all my cooking oils -- they're calorie dense and can add up really quickly.
  • SolotoCEO
    SolotoCEO Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I count them. They are calories.
  • KelGen02
    KelGen02 Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Oils and butters, etc are 120 calories per Tbsp...a teaspoon, which isn't much would then be 40 calories...1/2 tsp would be 20 calories.

Of course the calories count...it's dietary fat..it is the most calorie dense nutrient there is. How much you use would of course determine how much they count.[/quote]

^^ this

• Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I count any real fats I use (butter, olive oil, coconut oil etc.) as they have significant calories at approximately 120 calories per TBSP as already stated

I personally don't count pan sprays such as "Pam" since for the two seconds I spray them the calories are negligible but if you're trying to be really precise you should. There are calories in those sprays as well (a one second spray only has about 7 calories). They just can label the calories as 0 because they list the serving as 1/3 second spray which is only .25 grams of fat. Because the serving size, as created by the manufacturers, is under half a gram of fat, the nutrition label can show as 0 grams of fat and 0 calories.
  • need2belean
    need2belean Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I count any real fats I use (butter, olive oil, coconut oil etc.) as they have significant calories at approximately 120 calories per TBSP as already stated

I personally don't count pan sprays such as "Pam" since for the two seconds I spray them the calories are negligible but if you're trying to be really precise you should. There are calories in those sprays as well (a one second spray only has about 7 calories). They just can label the calories as 0 because they list the serving as 1/3 second spray which is only .25 grams of fat. Because the serving size, as created by the manufacturers, is under half a gram of fat, the nutrition label can show as 0 grams of fat and 0 calories.

^^^ I do this as well, but she is right, if you get to a point that you stop losing weight, then count those sprays too. I just hope that my exercise outdoes those two second sprays so I don't count those.