Fitbit calorie adjustment

I am probably not the first one to ask, but is it really ok to eat ALL your fitbit adjustment calories? Reason I ask is my calorie adjustment is over 1000 calories a day on top of my maintenance. Which brings me close to 3000 calories a day. And that seems really high. I am in maintenance so really don’t want to be putting weight back up. I am a female 6f tall and 138 pounds. I have MFP set as sedentary.
Thank you

Replies

• CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    ​I always eat back 100% of the Fitbit Calorie adjustment in maintenance. I ate back all of them when I was losing a few pounds and had no problem netting about 1600 Cals per day to lose those pounds when I had MFP set to lose 0.5 pounds per week.

For comparison, I am 55, 5'8", 153 lbs. and my maintenance net Calories are about 1870 at MFP Sedentary. I normally gross 2300 to 2600 Calories logged for food and earn on average about a 500 to 700 Fitbit Calorie adjustment above MFP Sedentary activity level setting.

I do use a food scale to weigh all solids, measuring cups and spoons to measure liquids, and verify all food items I log through outside web sources and Nutrition Facts labels. I trust that my Calorie Intake is pretty accurate using MFP, and I trust my Calorie Output is pretty accurate using the Fitbit Charge 2.

I would recommend reading through the first three posts in this thread on the MFP Fitbit Users group...

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10098937/faq-syncing-logging-food-exercise-calorie-adjustments-activity-levels-accuracy

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users
  • maybe1pe
    maybe1pe Posts: 529 Member
    For some people Fitbit can be super accurate. It is for me. But I know for others it's either under estimating or over estimating. The only real way to know is to try it for a few weeks (read months) and track your weight with an app or spreadsheet that does averages (like Happyscale or Libra) and see your weight trend. If you start consistently gaining over the course of a month eat less. If you lose eat more... But you have to give it more than a week or 2. Your weight could go up when you start eating more calories just from the weight of the food physically in you and/or water retention and they should balance out over a couple of weeks.

You won't know if you can do it unless you try and see if you start gaining or not.
  • _AshLynn
    _AshLynn Posts: 134 Member
    I like the deficit, and I feel like your body knows best. When you are hungry, and you need more food...EAT! I love being able to know what I burn, my average sleep...x.y..z...but sometimes we get so stuck on internet/electronics that we forget how to listen to our bodies.

Maybe this is just me, because I had issues for a while like eating to meet a certain calorie goal or time...versus actually letting my body tell me what it needs.