Low Carb, Low Fat

Options
So I have been working with a trainer for about two months and following a Low Carb, Low fat, High protein diet. Anyone else done one of these? That means no egg yolks or cheese because of the fat content for me. I do 50% Protein, 20% fat and 30% Carbs a day.

Anyone done something similar? Whats your results?

Main reason for this post: Whats some things you eat? Meals, Snacks etc?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Why both low carb and low fat?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    It sounds crazy and unsustainable. Pointless and ineffective. Are you really sticking to it? How do you feel? What can you eat?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    how sad for you...
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Sounds awful :grimace:
  • Goal179
    Goal179 Posts: 314 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Each person is different. This may work for you and you may be able to keep the weight off long term. I really hope it's the answer. However, make sure you understand everything going on with your hormones, insulin levels, etc. Sometimes it takes a diet more specialized for your specific situation to be effective. I am obese so I need a different nutrition plan. I have tried low carb, low fat high protein for about 16 years in different forms and it NEVER worked for me. When I did finally have success, I hit a plateau at a weight that was still considered obese and then the weight started coming back despite me working out twice as much and eating better. So those low, low high can be tricky. Give a try, stick to it and make sure you don't cheat. If it doesn't work after a few months (meaning you don't feel well, you stop losing weight, you are constantly hungry, you don't have energy, etc.) look for something else.

As for snacks when I was on that diet: berries and greek yogurt, low fat cheese sticks, veggies with hummus, sweet potato fries, pumpkin seeds, lemon tea, sunflower seeds, beans, and fried zuchini sticks with parm. talk to your nutritionist/trainer who put you on the diet and see if he/she approves of any of those snacks.
  • MsChewMe
    MsChewMe Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Is the trainer a registered dietician? If not, I wouldn’t take any diet advice from him.

What is your goal? To lose weight?

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    That's a very difficult diet to maintain for any length of time. But good luck
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Wow that sounds painful. I understand some people doing low carb because they have trouble working carbs into their diet without overdoing it. I do not understand the rationale behind this plan. Is this trainer a Registered Dietitian (RD)?

There is no reason to go into a crash-style diet to lose weight. Cutting out a lot is ultimately unsustainable.
  • lauraktobe
    lauraktobe Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I follow very simialar breakdown to you and ive been doing it for abut 2 weeks and been fine so far. As with you im working with a personal trainer who suggested this. daily calories are 1685 and thats 200g protein, 57g fat and the rest carbs (think its about 112g).

She set this up after my main goal is simply to "shrink" for my wedding next year. Also doing a heavy weight session with her a week, 2 weight sessions of a programme she made for me and 2/3 classes like spin or metafit or body attack.

I tend to have protein shake and some chicken fridge raiders for breakfast, Chicken salad with cheese and crutons for lunch then dinner usually have the majority of my carbs in potatos, rice or pasta and veg.
    Dinners vary, tonight having chilli with rice, Last night we had Lemon chicken with veg and potatos and bbq sauce, night before beef stew,

Then for snacks i have Muller light greek yogurts, some nuts, or another protein shake.

I havent weighed myself or taken any measurements yet as plan to do with at week 6 with PT.

Hope you do well :)
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    That is very restrictive... fat is good for you! It's needed for healthy brain function, healthy hair, skin, nails...

What is your plan after you reach your goal weight? Is this way of eating sustainable for you? Or are you going to revert to your old preferred way of eating and gain it all back?

That's something you should seriously consider. Successful weight loss is all about building sustainable habits that you can continue to use during maintenance.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    toxikon wrote: »
    That is very restrictive... fat is good for you! It's needed for healthy brain function, healthy hair, skin, nails...

What is your plan after you reach your goal weight? Is this way of eating sustainable for you? Or are you going to revert to your old preferred way of eating and gain it all back?

That's something you should seriously consider. Successful weight loss is all about building sustainable habits that you can continue to use during maintenance.

This^

A very restrictive "diet" may help you lose weight. But that's just the first step. What will you learn from all the restrictions that will help you during maintenance?

I've done too many "diets" to count and always gained the weight back. Eat less move more, or all things in moderation....these I can do for life.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    So I have been working with a trainer for about two months and following a Low Carb, Low fat, High protein diet. Anyone else done one of these? That means no egg yolks or cheese because of the fat content for me. I do 50% Protein, 20% fat and 30% Carbs a day.

Anyone done something similar? Whats your results?

Main reason for this post: Whats some things you eat? Meals, Snacks etc?

The probably with this is that carbs or fat are great sources of energy... and while protein can be a source or energy, it's terrible and not very efficient. Personally, I would either increase carbs or fat (depending on what you prefer).
  • ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    You NEED that fat and carbs are an excellent source of energy! I totally agree with a previous commenter, unless your trainer is a licensed nutritionist, you should take what they say as advice only and do your own thorough research. You may have to take different approaches to your eating style until you find what's right for you.
  • bikecheryl
    bikecheryl Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Gee..... I'm on a 40-30-30 and am finding it hard to reach my Protein mark.... can't imagine how your reaching 50%
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    bikecheryl wrote: »
    Gee..... I'm on a 40-30-30 and am finding it hard to reach my Protein mark.... can't imagine how your reaching 50%

That's the ratio I used when I was losing weight. It was plenty of protein and the carbs and fat were moderate...
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I would not last a week on such a diet. Good luck! Good news is, if you find it too hard you could modify the macros any which way you like within the same calories to and still lose the same weight while enjoying the diet more.
  • GoldGlover89
    GoldGlover89 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Yeah girl, don’t be afraid of fat. Avocados, fish, all that stuff you gotta have.