Problems associated with too low protein

Options
Heya, so I wasn't concentrating on protein for a while there, not sure exactly how long but could have been a year or more. While some days where probably on the low side of the necessary protein range, other days where probably just plain below the healthy limit. So now I am wondering could this have caused my hair to become thinner (and I am talking pretty thin)? I have now upped my protein to at least 100 grams a day and noticed some good changes, but hair takes so long to see a change. Has anyone else had too low protein and noticed changes when the upped it? Especially with hair? Experiences please and Thank You :)

Replies

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    How low are you talking about?
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    What was your calorie intake like at this point?

Hair loss can be caused by chronic underrating.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    What were your calorie totals?
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    How low are you talking about?

sometimes less than 40 grams a day, a day here and there was even less than 20 grams.
  • Grimmerick
    Options
    What was your calorie intake like at this point?

Hair loss can be caused by chronic underrating.

I never dip below 1300 unless I'm sick
  • Grimmerick
    Options
    What were your calorie totals?

My calorie goal was 1300 and higher and I usually was always over that somewhat.
  • Grimmerick
    Options
    thecharon wrote: »
    For 6 months I had high stress and bad diet. Now recovering. Goal now is 80 grams protein/day. Hair stopped falling after 2 months of eating properly. I also started taking a women's multivitamin.

I have noticed since upping protein that my less of my hair is coming out in the shower etc. Also energy and mood improvement too.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    It takes about six weeks for hair, skin and nails to show noticeable improvement from taking in enough protein.
  • Grimmerick
    edited October 2017
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    It takes about six weeks for hair, skin and nails to show noticeable improvement from taking in enough protein.

I have been eating more protein for almost 2 months. So far just noticed less hair coming out, pushing on nails now they do seem stronger, and energy has def been better. Just so hard to tell the subtle changes sometimes though.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Have you had blood work lately? Lots of deficiencies, especially iron, cause hair loss
  • Grimmerick
    Options
    Have you had blood work lately? Lots of deficiencies, especially iron, cause hair loss

I consistently and have for a while now taken Iron, B complex, Calcium/Magnesium, Vitamin D, and Zinc. My vitamin D level was like 16 at one point, it is now back to normal levels, Iron was level was normal but on the lower end of normal because I only eat seafood and eggs, no red meat, chicken, or pork). I also make sure to research my vitamins for the best absorption rates and take them at the appropriate times for maximum absorption. I try to be consistent with that so I can rule other things out.
  • dwilliamca
    dwilliamca Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Any muscle loss? As we all know amino acids are the building blocks of strong muscles. This article states hair loss is part of it.
    https://www.womenshealthmag.com/food/protein-deficiency-signs
    Here are some others:
    Eating too little protein can result in these symptoms as well :
    A sluggish metabolism.
    Trouble losing weight.
    Trouble building muscle mass.
    Low energy levels and fatigue.
    Poor concentration and trouble learning.
    Moodiness and mood swings.
    Muscle, bone and joint pain.
    Blood sugar changes that can lead to diabetes.
  • Grimmerick
    Options
    dwilliamca wrote: »
    Any muscle loss? As we all know amino acids are the building blocks of strong muscles. This article states hair loss is part of it.
    https://www.womenshealthmag.com/food/protein-deficiency-signs
    Here are some others:
    Eating too little protein can result in these symptoms as well :
    A sluggish metabolism.
    Trouble losing weight.
    Trouble building muscle mass.
    Low energy levels and fatigue.
    Poor concentration and trouble learning.
    Moodiness and mood swings.
    Muscle, bone and joint pain.
    Blood sugar changes that can lead to diabetes.

I work out pretty consistently and didn't notice any major muscle loss. My energy was def lower, my hip joint would ache sometimes, I felt a little foggy. I can't be sure about the other things, I probably had a few of those symptoms but nothing that was glaring, so it was hard to associate it. I at one point as well thought it might be a hormone imbalance as I have hormonal acne, hair loss, and irregular period. Now I am wondering if maybe some of that could have been caused by low protein. I feel like some of this is all tied in together. I am hoping upping my protein to optimal (not just low end of normal) levels will clear some of this up, just have to wait and see I guess.

• Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    OP, make sure you are getting enough healthy fat, too. Some vitamins need fat in order to be metabolized.
  • Grimmerick
    Options
    Maxxitt wrote: »
    OP, make sure you are getting enough healthy fat, too. Some vitamins need fat in order to be metabolized.

Thank you! I do eat a lot of healthy fat like avocado, olive oil, real butter etc.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I know when I became Vitamin D deficient, my hair began to fall out. I'd suggest seeing a doctor to test all your vitamin levels to see what actually could be contributing to the hair loss. It's taken about 6 months on Vitamin D supplements and upping my calories to feel better and my hair is no longer falling out.
  • Grimmerick
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I know when I became Vitamin D deficient, my hair began to fall out. I'd suggest seeing a doctor to test all your vitamin levels to see what actually could be contributing to the hair loss. It's taken about 6 months on Vitamin D supplements and upping my calories to feel better and my hair is no longer falling out.

I had levels checked not that long ago (iron, D, Calcium and others) and everything was within normal range. My D actually was back up in normal range (low end of normal), Iron was low side of normal. I make sure to take 5000IU of D everyday also my Cal/Mag supplement has D for absorption in it as well. I guess I just need to wait it out and see, I know visible results for these things can take a long time.